Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Anyone here play FFXII International?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

07.29.2013 4:00pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 07.29.2013 at 4:07pm)

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I'm on an FF kick these days and I hear they've dramatically revampled some of the gameplay and some people who weren't down with vanilla FFXII dug it.

Is it not shit or will it just initiate moar fury?

I'm curious because the honest truth is that I really DID wanna like the game.

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 4:17pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Short version: If you hated FFXII's gameplay at it's core, this isn't going to change much. It's still crap.

Longer version: That said, I did enjoy it a bit more than the original. It makes a lot of interesting tweaks to the game. The four biggest changes are:

1) The Job system. Every time you aquire a new character, a popup with the zodiac wheel - one job attached to each zodiac sign - will appear. You select that character's job, which gives them a customised license grid will only relevent abilities and equipment. You can't change a character's job once you've picked it, and you can't pick a job more than once. It's a pretty neat ilttle addition. It seems novel at first, but it adds a bit of depth in character development that the original game was lacking. The jobs are  Black Mage, White Mage, Red Mage, Time Mage, Lancer, Machinist, Monk, Ninja, Knight, Samurai, Archer, and Breaker.

2) Controllable Guest members and Summons. You now have full control over any guest members, able to play them in battle, set their gambits, ect. The only thing you can't do is change their equipment. The same is true of summoned espers, with the added ability to do their ultimate attacks whenever you want. Not that you'll ever use them, because Quickenings are still retardedly good.

3) Speaking of Quikenings, they no longer use MP. They have their own guage now, and you simply get more MP as you level, with your job determining your max MP.

4) Oh thank the lord there's a fast forward button. No really, tried of grinding and walking? Holding L1 speeds up the gaming, making this shit go by at least a bit faster.

There's a lot of other, smaller changes - redone (and respawning) treasure chests, revised hunt rewards, new wepons and armour, some spells have been revised or their categories changed, new gambits, removal of the damage limit, and some new game+ modes. Nothing revolutionary, and it probably won't change your opinion of the game, but it is definitely better than the crap that was originally served up. If only a bit.

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 4:20pm
Thread Creator

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I wonder if I did hate FFXII's gameplay at its core.  I mean, I remember thinking the game was irredeemable, but Xenoblade Chronicles set out to do all the same things and I loved what I played of it.

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 4:25pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

That's because Xenoblade Chronicles was actually a well thought out and designed game. Final Fantasy XII was not. Still, it's not like XII Int. wil lcost you anything, and there's fantranslation patches. Might as well give it a shot. I just don't think it's a big enough improvement to change how most people feel about the game.

Jump to Post

07.29.2013 5:56pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

It's still the same terrible story and characters, too.

Jump to Post

07.31.2013 7:16pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Wow, the improvements sound pretty good.

Also, the main difference between FF12 and Xenoblade's gameplay is that you can't do Xenoblade's system with a turn based system, it just wouldn't work, whereas you could have improved FF12's by making it turned based and removing gambits,  but reducing the number of enemies on the map.

Also, Monolithsoft didn't fire the guy in charge of the game halfway through, that's probably the biggest difference in the results.

Jump to Post

07.31.2013 9:41pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

As I said it before FFXII had a ton of great ideas but just lacked polished. And yeah I think many of it had to do with the directing getting canned half way through. That said I can see FFXII being a more loved game down the line. Maybe an HD Remake will help.

Jump to Post

07.31.2013 9:49pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

No HD remake of FFXII is going to stop Vaan from being one of the most pointless and annoying main characters in video game history. Or the "it was my twin brother!" bullshit. Or the story from being a complete Star Wars ripoff. (Borrowing from Star Wars is OK, plagiarizing it whole cloth like FFXII did is not.)

Jump to Post

07.31.2013 9:59pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Well to be fair, FF IV did it first.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

07.31.2013 11:49pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I used to be harder on FF12, but now I realize I can enjoy it for its strengths. It's like an x girlfriend you realized was much better to you that you realized took for granted because you dated another girl who made you cry every second (FF13)

Jump to Post

08.01.2013 1:15am
Thread Creator (Edited on 08.01.2013 at 1:32am)

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I think XIII was better than XII but that's not saying much.  Dunno if I'll complete it; I'm up to Gran Pulse, where the game supposedly gets "good," but the only thing to come of the open world is tedious hunts, hours of grinding and everything on the Crystarium being so insanely priced that it takes hours to eek out some minor improvements to my team.  Square Enix managed to even wreck this part with moronic padding.

That said, I quickly switched to FFVIII, because I miss the game and haven't played it in nearly a decade and it wrapped its tendrils around my stone heart and taught me to quit saying "whatever" to everything again.  In my glee, I read this thread* where some people talked about International Zodiac Job System version of FFXII.  I mean, it's been five years, plus my last play of XII occurred during what's arguably the single worst year of my entire life PLUS it supposedly was an attempt to correct problems with FFXII Vanilla PLUS I'm not dropping coin this time around** so why the fuck not.

*On NeoGAF.  Yeah, I know.

**Well, I AM getting Swap Magic, but that's more an investment so I can play other imports/games right on my PS2 that I wanna try but never wanted to risk the coin on, like Front Mission 5/Kingdom Hearts.

Jump to Post

08.01.2013 5:58am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Rhaegar said:

No HD remake of FFXII is going to stop Vaan from being one of the most pointless and annoying main characters in video game history. Or the "it was my twin brother!" bullshit. Or the story from being a complete Star Wars ripoff. (Borrowing from Star Wars is OK, plagiarizing it whole cloth like FFXII did is not.)

A mod maybe? If only FFXII was on the PC maybe they can have a mod that replaces Vaan with Basch or Balthier as the character you control in towns.

Jump to Post

08.01.2013 6:06am

Scribe
The Taru

Spidey said:

I used to be harder on FF12, but now I realize I can enjoy it for its strengths. It's like an x girlfriend you realized was much better to you that you realized took for granted because you dated another girl who made you cry every second (FF13)

When I flip over the case for FFXII HD I want to read what you just said.

Jump to Post

08.01.2013 9:29am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I actually don't mind the story in FFXII. Sure it had a potential to be great but never reached to that level but the story and characters were, by no means bad. I mean comparing it FFX and FFXIII at least none of the characters in FFXII annoyed you and I actually thought the relationship between Vayne and Vennant was pretty interesting.

I have no freaking idea what happened to Recks or Ashe's Husband though it seemed that there was originally a better story placed for them.

Jump to Post

08.01.2013 1:54pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Spidey said:

Best analogy ever.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter