Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFVII PS4 Remake

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Next >

06.21.2015 7:27pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

reido said:

The thing people forget--
The thing the marketing of these games leads people to forget, is that in FFVII Cloud is a fucking dork*.  An awkward, confused, dorkasaurus rex.  All the action and artwork screams HARDENED BADASS but the actual character is more like I DON'T KNOW WHAT THE FUCK I'M DONIG HYAAAAAAA!

(*This applies to FFVIII, too!  Squall so much more palatable when you don't see him as the broody badass in the game's art but realize he's a big dorky loser who doesn't know how to socialize with people properly or express his emotions.)
That's not the way I remember it.  Cloud is slowly revealed as a dork between the Kalm flashback and the big reveal of what actually happened 5 years ago. During the exposition of the game and the Midgar sequence, he IS portrayed as a hardened badass. You have to sell the audience on the fake Cloud and they definitely did that in the first 4-5 hours of the game.

Then you go through his gradual identity crisis, culminating in the meltdown at the first Northern Crater sequence. After he and Tifa "find the true Cloud" in the Lifestream, he swiftly regains his footing and by the end of the game he is a hardened badass again.

Jump to Post

06.22.2015 11:47am

Spooniest
Coffee Warrior

Atma Weapon said:

That's not the way I remember it.  Cloud is slowly revealed as a dork between the Kalm flashback and the big reveal of what actually happened 5 years ago. During the exposition of the game and the Midgar sequence, he IS portrayed as a hardened badass. You have to sell the audience on the fake Cloud and they definitely did that in the first 4-5 hours of the game.

Then you go through his gradual identity crisis, culminating in the meltdown at the first Northern Crater sequence. After he and Tifa "find the true Cloud" in the Lifestream, he swiftly regains his footing and by the end of the game he is a hardened badass again.

Well...there is the matter of him saying "let's mosey" in one of the only dialogue scenes after the fact. Cid tells him to stop "saying it like a wimp" or somesuch...

Cloud is every nerd's dream come true...a normal guy who, through dumb luck, turned out to be a hero. That's the heart of what FF7 represents...it's a salute to the common person, as opposed to FF6's main character, who turns out to be this otherworldly figure.

Cloud has normal problems like anyone does, he wants to be accepted by those around him, but is awkward and "left out." So he thinks "I'll be like Sephiroth, and be a big hero." The culmination of it all is that he gets his wish, but he pays a big price for it.

That's the heart of good drama, is that everything comes with a price.

I'm going far far away somewhere

Jump to Post

06.23.2015 12:31am

Testament
Shamshot

I hope they can pull this off, without too much heartbreak.  Crisis Core HD needs to be a pre-order bonus.

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 12:00pm

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Dammit who set this up?

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 2:04pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

I always wondered why she needed a belt AND suspenders.  I mean COME ON.

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 2:11pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Because the 90s

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 4:16pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Call said:

I always wondered why she needed a belt AND suspenders.  I mean COME ON.

Tetsuya Nomura?

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 4:28pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

*looks*
*notices something weird*
*checks official art... finds same weird thing*
(For reference:  https://www.ffshrine.org/ff7/nomuraart/ff7_3.jpg)
That belt isn't attached to a goddamn thing other than her suspenders.  It isn't even belted--like, there's no buckle!  It has holes for the buckle, but they're not doing anything.  It's just wrapped around her waist. (Correction:  there's a buckle on the official art, but I don't think Nomura knows how belt buckles actually work, ironically--it's just sort of a hook that the holes hook on.) 

So it's either actually the top of her skirt, and not a belt, or it's clipped to the top of her skirt by the suspender clips.  And not buckled.  For some reason.

This has been another episode of OVERTHINKING FEMALE CHARACTER COSTUME DESIGN.

Jump to Post

06.24.2015 9:59pm

Testament
Shamshot

I don't know how the entire game will end up, but I bet the intro (Bombing Mission) is going to be amazing.

Jump to Post

06.25.2015 1:57pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

"That" death scene with full orchestration....drool...(also sob)

Jump to Post

06.25.2015 4:39pm

Testament
Shamshot

Yeah, there are going to be several amazing parts (please!). I hope they create new orchestrations for the soundtrack and not just reuse existing tracks.

Jump to Post

06.26.2015 1:27am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

The new Famitsu interview with Nomura makes me afraid that they're going to make changes to the remake that will take away a lot of the charm of the original. Meh.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

06.26.2015 4:35pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

"As preproduction went along and I offered my opinions on what I thought should be done, Mr. Kitase would asked me how the individual elements should be adjusted in fine detail," Nomura said. "It was very perplexing. Then one day, as I was checking the internal company presentation video it said 'Director Tetsuya Nomura' at the end.

"So I called up Mr. Kitase and said, 'It says that Iâ??m the director for some reason.' To which he replied, 'Of course it does.'"
From:  https://www.destructoid.com/surprise-nomura-didn-t-know-he-was-directing-final-fantasy-vii-remake-294825.phtml

Jump to Post

06.27.2015 7:04pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

"Surprise! You're directing a big-budget hd remake of an immensely popular game!"

TT

Jump to Post

06.29.2015 3:56am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

What's funny about the Nomura thing is that I was sure they were about to fire him...

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 18 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter