Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

"FFVI re-release screenshots...!"

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next >

12.07.2013 7:08am
 (Edited on 12.27.2013 at 7:26pm)

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Another part of me just died inside. :(

This is like replacing the Mono Lisa with a HD digital screen of it. It just isn't the same. But then I don't have a smartphone or tablet so it's not like I'll ever be getting this.

It still seems like heresy though.

EDIT: well, it's funny how in hindsight past opinions can be invalidated by future events - I now have a smartphone (android), and, I dare say, as the card-carrying FFVI fan that I am, I am seriously tempted by this. Yes I still hate what's been done to the pixels, but still... it's FFVI. Damnit... :p

Jump to Post

12.08.2013 9:59am

Mert
on Dew

Just as the original Mona Lisa will still be hanging in the Louvre no matter how many digital prints of it they sell, you can still play "Final Fantasy III" on your SNES all you want. It's not even a fair comparison; there's only one Mona Lisa, and you're lucky if you've ever see it in person. I've only seen replications of the Mona Lisa, but that doesn't make me appreciate it any less.

No, a far, far better comparison would be saying it's like the Stars Wars Special Edition. It looks prettier, it sounds prettier, but Han shot first dammit. They better not fuck up the plot.

Jump to Post

12.08.2013 9:21pm

ahninjas
likes 'em pretty

Shadow said:

Yeah it's really tough, becuase in theory if it's being released on the iPad the game will have to run at a much higher resolution than the original 320x240 or whatever it was on the SNES. So all of a sudden having to make new pixel art that scales to the "HD" resolutions of an iPad is no easy task.

256x224 is the resolution used by most NES and SNES games, but regardless, you're correct, the aspect ratio will have to change to fit the wider screens of todays mobile devices.

I have to wonder how movement will work in this game if it uses the 8 directional style used in the FF5 port. FF1-5 had a completely tile based environment where a space was either empty or occupied, but FF6 also had barriers between spaces.

Jump to Post

12.26.2013 3:33am

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Too bad it's not on 3DS, but it looks nice.

Jump to Post

01.08.2014 1:09am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

i think a better mona lisa analogy is should you use your glasses to look at if you have bad vision? i think its possible with the graphics update you are looking more closely at a product the game developers had visions for when they made the game but didn't have the tools for when they created it. that's the difference between ff6 when it was made vs the mona lisa, which i'm sure da vinci in no way felt limited by his painting tools.

Jump to Post

01.12.2014 10:20am
 (Edited on 01.12.2014 at 10:33am)

Mert
on Dew

There's a little bit of a trailer up for this now. Doesn't really show off much except more of the new graphics.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Iw4qdEAWBFo

I'd rather see some actual gameplay footage myself. Hasn't the FFVI fan's mantra for the last 17 years or so been "graphics don't matter; gameplay and story are what make a game great"?

Jump to Post

01.12.2014 3:00pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^Goddamn... PASTEL... colors! Can't they do anything right? The character models look like garbage from RPG Maker as well.

Jump to Post

01.12.2014 4:19pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

So.... ugly...

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

01.13.2014 3:14am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

ok, that much looks worse than the screen shots gave me an impression of. wow.....ugh

Jump to Post

01.14.2014 1:33am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Did anyone get the feeling that the screen was made small (and kept getting smaller) because they didn't want to emphasize the graphics.  By the end it was taking up 1/9th of the screen.  Oh well, it sounds pretty.

Hasn't the FFVI fan's mantra for the last 17 years or so been "graphics don't matter; gameplay and story are what make a game great"?
Those people have been spoiled by good art direction and have forgotten that without good art direction every game looks crappy and is not pleasurable to play.

Jump to Post

01.14.2014 3:30am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Mert said:

Hasn't the FFVI fan's mantra for the last 17 years or so been "graphics don't matter; gameplay and story are what make a game great"?

No, it's been that FFVI's graphics have stood the test of time far better than the PSX trilogy's have.

As for that video, yeah, it looks like shit.

Jump to Post

01.14.2014 3:34am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

Came here to say I told you so, realized I never made a post about how I didn't like it to begin with.

DAMMIT!

Jump to Post

01.14.2014 3:50am
 (Edited on 01.14.2014 at 3:56am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Rhaegar said:

No, it's been that FFVI's graphics have stood the test of time far better than the PSX trilogy's have.

As for that video, yeah, it looks like shit.

IWhen FF7 was brand new I kept posting how I preferred FF6's graphics (sans the FMVs which did impress me). Same goes for FF8 and FF9. I didn't prefer the graphics updates to FF6 until FFX.  FF7-FF9 had such blocky graphics even for their time, this wasn't an aging thing, tons of PC games had smooth polygons without the crazy nasty blockyness of FF7, so I honestly thought it was an ugly game from the moment I started playing it.

Jump to Post

01.14.2014 6:54am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

I still don't really care about these graphical changes, the original is still there for me anytime I want it anyway.

Jump to Post

01.15.2014 6:03pm

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

http://imgur.com/a/tA11s/

I still I don't get what the big deal is.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter