Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXIII-2 DEMO thoughts?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

01.11.2012 4:18am
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

So the demo is available, what does everyone think?

Jump to Post

01.11.2012 6:45am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

It's fun, but I really don't like the whole monster team member idea.  I'd rather have a larger playable cast than be stuck with random, personalitiless monsters.  I don't like the addition of QTEs either.  What I do like is that the game seems to be deep, non-linear and much more customizable.  It's way too early to judge anything, though.  I'm worried about the storyline and I'm worried about the characters.  The concept seems to borrow heavily from Radiant Historia, but I suppose they could rip off a worse game.  I'm waiting for the reviews.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

01.11.2012 1:29pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I know I'm going to get it eventually anyway, so I figure why spoil anything for myself with a demo.

Jump to Post

01.11.2012 1:48pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

It sounds like they tried to pool ideas that were old 10 years ago.  Hey DQ does monster parties lets do that!  Hey, every action game starting on the PS2 has been doing QTEs lets do that!  I thought about trying the demo out but I'd rather wait for the full game I think.

I've fought every urge as a FF fanboy to pre-order this even though yeah, the time travel aspect does get me off a little.  I'll wait for reviews and most likely a price drop unless they are raving for the game.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

01.11.2012 1:54pm
 (Edited on 01.11.2012 at 10:31pm)

Testament
Shamshot

Downloaded it last night, but Suikoden recruiting took up all my time. Probably play it today or this weekend.

EDIT - Yeah, nothing on the demo changed my mind about this being a price-drop-purchase.  Still enjoy the battle system, though.

Jump to Post

01.12.2012 1:34am

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Not interested in this game at all (I loathed XIIII), but I was bored and tried the demo tonight. My main gripe is this: WTF is with FFXIII and its sequel having stupid-hard random encounters? Most fights take 30 seconds to 2 minutes, but randomly I'll get in a  fight (against a stupid Pulsework Soldier) and it'll take something like 5 or 6 minutes. I'm switching around my paradigms, trying different strategies, but there's apparently nothing I can do to make these Pulsework Soldiers die faster. Am I just retarded? Did anyone ever have this issue in the first game? Long random encounters was an issue I remember from the Xenosaga games too, but at least there it seemed to be a level-based issue...

Anyway, other random things I didn't like: jumping seems cool, but it's marred by the fact that I can't jump over a tiny little fence-thing;. I can walk to the other side of the fence-thing, but I can't jump over it? Mog looks and sounds stupid; why does it transform into a bow, Power Rangers style? Choco-slut/saleswoman... wtf? The music when you're initially fighting Titan's arm was stupid. Battle system still largely blows. Noel seems kinda douchey.

Good things: the music was alright (minus the Titan arm fighting music). Serah is super-cute. I like that you can hit the enemies before you actually go into battle to get an advantage in battle. Definitely like that this game isn't as linear as the first. 

All in all, this demo definitely shows promise that XIII-2 addressed some of the original game's issues (mainly the horrible linear maps), but it wasn't good enough to convince me to give the XIII universe another go.

Jump to Post

01.12.2012 3:32am
 (Edited on 01.12.2012 at 9:52pm)

Testament
Shamshot

^Some enemies you'll need to stagger before the damage starts rolling. After you land a few hits with a Com, switch to Ravs to quickly stagger and then switch to Coms.

...and yes, jumping seems pretty lame in this game. Especially after playing Xenoblade.

Jump to Post

01.14.2012 4:40pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I played the demo and I'm mixed on it.  I'd like to first state that I actually loved XIII even if the end got a little wonky story crazy.

The gameplay is basically XIII with a monster element.  I enjoyed combat in XIII but I'd have liked this to be significantly different ala X -> X-2; this is just more of the same which isn't necessarily bad but I played XIII to death so I want different.  Mog's voice is just... ugh.  Characters are... ok.  All in all If I get a lull in gaming in the next few months I'll buy but likely it's a pricedrop still.

And btw, are we supposed to be able to beat the the 2nd giant boss?  I hit the switch to control him and went back to fight; battle was easier but when he fistslams the group twice it seems to be instant death.  Oh well, I'm not worried and I won't touch the demo again so I'll actually want to play the section in the real game.

Jump to Post

01.15.2012 4:32am

Old Juan
filled with hate

Played the demo, I still rather have a third character instead of monsters.

Jump to Post

01.18.2012 6:16pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Same battle system ... errr I think i'll wait for a price drop. I was not a fan of the Battle System in FFXIII.

Jump to Post

01.18.2012 8:16pm

Testament
Shamshot

The battle system was the best thing about the game. 

I know, I know....  That's not saying much.

Jump to Post

01.20.2012 9:28pm

Seraphitta
Registered Member

PLayed the demo for a few mins and I was honestly bored. I'm not a fan of the battle system either and the music blows.
I'm going to borrow from someone/get from bargain bin.

Jump to Post

01.21.2012 10:21pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

Everyone I know has already finished the game, mind you these guys actually loved FF13 for some reason...

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

01.22.2012 7:26pm

Seldomseen
Old Guard

^ I guess I'll like it, then, for some reason...

Jump to Post

01.23.2012 1:01am

Seraphitta
Registered Member

Actually, I played it more for a few hrs and the battle system kinda grew on me. Or I got used to it and it didn't bother me, whatever.
No interest to play the game though :\
My list is long enough as it is

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter