Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXIV 'Legacy' and 'Welcome Back' Campaigns

04.22.2012 3:10am
Thread Creator

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

... And the details are rather surprising: https://lodestone.finalfantasyxiv.com/pl/campaign/campaign.html

But the gist of it:

For Legacy Campaign:

Permenantly reduced subscription fees on your account once Version 2.0 launches
An 'exclusive' chocobo mount available on launch of 2.0
If you so desire, your 'name' can be added to the game credits when Version 2.0 launches.

For Welcome Back Campaign:

Basically a 10 day free trial period for people who have had active accounts but cancelled them and who decide to play the game again, applied to a reactivated character.

So, is this just another sad, desperate attempt to capture increasingly waning interest in the game by SE, or is it really something special? (I admit, the permenant reduced fee is tempting, although I don't really care about having my name in the game credits (would that be my real name or my character's name?), and who wouldn't want ther own special chocobo?

But again, will this be enough to entice players back to FFXIV? I admit I haven't logged into the game in nearly 6 months, I just haven't had the interest to play. However, the recent changes (ala, Job system), plus these new incentives may make me change my mind.

Maybe.

Jump to Post

04.22.2012 2:13pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

If they really wanted people to play that aren't now they should just drop the price to $9.99 without some sort of program or special perk.

Jump to Post

04.22.2012 2:15pm

kjonez
with a Z

Looks pretty interesting. As of right now I wouldn't say the game is near complete, but it's a hell of a lot better than what it was 6 months ago. The job system is a nice change, leveling isn't nearly as much of a chore as it was, getting around via choco/airship puts lets stress on anima and overall the game is just much more approachable for a standard player. Plus with the server merges there are actually people to play with. I've been playing for about 2 weeks again now and I can say I've gotten more done in this short time than the few months I played last year.

Jump to Post

04.22.2012 5:34pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

They should just bite the bullet and go f2p. The name "Final Fantasy XIV" is way too damaged to sustain anything resembling a traditional subscription model.

Jump to Post

04.22.2012 8:55pm

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Really even the name Final Fantasy is too damaged at this point.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

04.23.2012 10:58am

Kaiser
aka Nick Walker/Disdain

Even if gamers were to look past this, they'd struggle between the choice of this, Diablo 3, Guild Wars 2 and the other big name releases that's due this year.

FFXIV is almost two years old now and even with the 2.0 update coming on the horizen, it's not going to stack up even with a few dollars cheaper subscription fee. Especially considering their awful payment gateway.

Jump to Post

04.23.2012 12:25pm
Thread Creator

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Kaiser said:
FFXIV is almost two years old now and even with the 2.0 update coming on the horizen, it's not going to stack up even with a few dollars cheaper subscription fee. Especially considering their awful payment gateway.

Actually, SE improved the goddess-awful system they had originally - they added direct credit card/debit card billing to the two intial options recently after players demanded it (ClicknBuy and their 'Crysta' virtual currency) - when SE tried introducing the same stupid system for FFXI billing FFXI fans were so furious they threatened to abandon the game completely. Eventually SE gave in and reintroduced direct credit card/debit card billing through the SE Account system which can be used for both FFXI and FFXIV billing.

But yeah, with all these big name MMOs coming out, you have to wonder how FFXIV is going to survive. Anything they do now really is pretty much just plugging holes in a fast sinking ship.

Jump to Post

04.23.2012 1:20pm

Kaiser
aka Nick Walker/Disdain

Enkidoh said:

Actually, SE improved the goddess-awful system they had originally - they added direct credit card/debit card billing to the two intial options recently after players demanded it (ClicknBuy and their 'Crysta' virtual currency) - when SE tried introducing the same stupid system for FFXI billing FFXI fans were so furious they threatened to abandon the game completely. Eventually SE gave in and reintroduced direct credit card/debit card billing through the SE Account system which can be used for both FFXI and FFXIV billing.

That's impressive, I'm glad they did something about that. Going through several login screens, each with different credentials was such a pain. If you look at any other online game with a payment component, I can't think of any with as complicated system as that was.

Jump to Post

04.23.2012 1:24pm

Bain
Internet Troll

Enkidoh said:

But yeah, with all these big name MMOs coming out, you have to wonder how FFXIV is going to survive. Anything they do now really is pretty much just plugging holes in a fast sinking ship.
Unfortunately the credit card billing is useless if, for example, you live in the UK and play an NA account like I do. I spent half my life loading crysta onto my account to pay for both games.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter