Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXI 2012 Roadmap

04.25.2012 1:32pm
Thread Creator

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Holy crap... they might pull me right back in.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 1:58pm

Fun
YES! WE! ARE!

Play as a monster, eh.

It's like costumes, but way better!

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 2:56pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Call me a cynic but why do I get the feeling that 'play as a monster' system will turn out to be little more than an ability of BSTs that would allow them to actually see the world through their pet's eyes?

Or at the very least a restricted system like Dynamis (this is more likely - seeing as SE mentioned it in the same sentence as a new 'dungeon exploration' system - this is just a big guess on my part, but I can see this system being possibly somewhat like that mission in Dirge of Cerberus when you were in control of Cait Sith in the Number 0 Reactor. Basically using a monster pet to negotiate a dungeon area that a person couldn't access otherwise.)

This could be instersting still, but knowing SE like I do, they'll probably screw it up and break the game even more. Or maybe I'm just too jaded nowadays.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 4:28pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The "play as a monster" thing is probably going to be like WoW's Pokemon-esque minigame they're putting into Mists.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 6:14pm
 (Edited on 04.25.2012 at 6:35pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

This is actually impressive....except for the part where theyre trying to turn 11 into 14...

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxi/threads/22877-New-Windows-Version-User-Interface?p=309013#post309013

New Windows Version User Interface

Greetings, adventurers.

As announced in the FFXI 2012 Roadmap, an extensive user interface overhaul is currently in development for the Windows version of FINAL FANTASY XI. Today, I would like to take this time to outline some of changes we have in the works for the UI of the Windows version of FFXI.

• Multi-window Mode
    Users will be able to open and manipulate multiple windows.

• Layout Customization
    Users will be able to drag UI elements with the mouse to new locations, which will be saved for future gaming sessions.

• Multiple Log Windows
    Users will be able to open multiple log windows and apply different filters for each one.

• Font Vectorization
    TrueType fonts will replace the current bitmap fonts.

• Continual Display of Macro Palette
    In addition to the existing Crtl/Alt macro palette, there will be an option to use a three-rowed palette that is constantly displayed and utilizes the 1 â?? 0 keys as well as mouse clicks to activate macros.

• Macro Recast Time Display
    The macro palette will display the time remaining until each macro may be used again.

• Individual Magic/Ability Icons and High-Resolution Status Effect Icons
    A new set of detailed high-resolution icons will be introduced, with new icons added for specific magic, abilities, and status effects.

• Macro Palette Icon Display
    Users will have the option to display icons for magic and abilities contained in macros.

• User Customization Features
    The window scheme and GUI scripts for FFXI will be released so users can design their own interface features.

• Drag-and-drop Equipment Interface

Other, more technical modifications are also under development that will eventually culminate in an overhaul of the entire user interface.

As previously announced, we are planning to make it possible for area maps to be brought up at all times, which would be implemented in advance of the more comprehensive UI overhaul described above. More information on this will be forthcoming, so please check the forums periodically.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 7:47pm

Scribe
The Taru

I'm excited for this!

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 8:34pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

That's not turning FF11 into FF14, that's FF11 catching up with UI customization that's been standard feature in every other MMO since at least 2005.

As a World of Warcraft player, a lot of those "new features" for FF11 are things I take for granted. I mean, seriously.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 11:31pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

This is actually pretty nice, and if I was looking to get back into FFXI this would do it. I may still if no MMO has caught my attention after some of this is implamented. Either way, it's nice to see that they're still supporting the game 7(?) years later, and after it's sequel is already out.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 11:59pm
Thread Creator

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Ashilyn said:

This is actually pretty nice, and if I was looking to get back into FFXI this would do it. I may still if no MMO has caught my attention after some of this is implamented. Either way, it's nice to see that they're still supporting the game 7(?) years later, and after it's sequel is already out.

It's actually about to hit it's 10th anniversary, believe it or not.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 1:25am

Ashilyn
Career GM

amaron said:

It's actually about to hit it's 10th anniversary, believe it or not.

Jesus christ, really? Wow.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:34am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yeah, hard to believe it's ten years old. But then, when you think about it, even WoW is getting on too (that was originally released in what, 04?). I guess time really does fly when you're having fun, :D

As for the new GUI, I have mixed feelings about it. Although extra customisation is always a good thing, I admit I actually like the existing menu-based GUI - at least it retains the old-school FF feel to it, rather than just trying to rip off every WRPG made in the last ten years. I hope though that they at least retain some of the menu-based system, or offer the choice to switch back to it if desired (which is probably possible due to the PS2 and 360 versions retaining the old system).

But then, having said that, if it makes the overall experience better then I'm all for it. :D

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 5:55am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, WoW's over 7 years old and will be going on 8 in the fall.

Though it's probably WAY too late in the game's life to see much variety, I am curious about what sort of addons FFXI gets as well as how open Square Enix actually is with the scripting.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter