Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

FFXI: Well this only took 6 years.

03.04.2014 7:55pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Cait Sith, finally a summon.

https://massively.joystiq.com/2014/03/04/cait-sith-avatar-coming-to-final-fantasy-xi/

At which point the SE dev team disbands, lol.

Jump to Post

03.04.2014 8:33pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I don't know why anyone would still play FFXI when XIV ARR is, by all accounts, a far superior game.

Then again, people still play EQ, Runescape, and UO.

Jump to Post

03.05.2014 12:51am

Spoony
TEH DISCORD CREW~

I still play FFXI because I haven't finished all the story stuff yet.  And while XIV is most definitely the better game, Vana'diel still feels more alive and cohesive than Eorzea to me.  So there's that.

Jump to Post

03.05.2014 1:20am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Well to the idiots on the Lodestone FFXI is a pinaccle of MMO design and ARR is just a WoW-clone 'baby's-first-MMO' hack job. And they wonder why they're laughed at and ignored by the development team. ><

Having said that, XI's current Producer is a lot more flexible and honest than Tanaka was, although Mitsui is nowhere the level of Yoshi-P in terms of charisma, the improvements he's made to XI have made the game a lot more accessable and enjoyable (and he's definetely been taking a leaf out of Yoshi-P's book with copying a lot of things from ARR, such as being able to teleport between any homepoint you wish for gil, item levels being added to gear (but only for level 99 gear), and a pseudo-Hunting Log/leve system called 'Records of Emminence'.

And yes I still play FFXI as well as ARR, mostly for the same reasons Spoony mentioned - after nearly a decade playing XI I still only have completed Windurst's storyline and Rise of the Zilart - there's all the other expansions I want to complete first before I can truly say 'I'm done' with FFXI. End-game stuff just doesn't interest me anymore.

Jump to Post

03.09.2014 5:06am

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

I played more than my fair share of XI, but every time I go back to it now it just feels like I'm signing up for grinding something else (which no doubt I've done in the past and can still be rewarding), but I just don't know if I have it in me anymore. I'm going to see if I can get into ARR a bit more once the PS4 version comes out, and if I can't I might play XI a bit more casually -- easier said than done.

Jump to Post

03.10.2014 3:08am
Thread Creator (Edited on 03.10.2014 at 3:15am)

Zubis
Registered Member

Roundtable with the producers of FF11, FF14, DQX.

https://forum.square-enix.com/ffxiv/threads/151950-What-s-makes-an-MMORPG-fun-4Gamer-chats-with-the-Producers-of-FFXI-FFXIV-and-DQX

It's interesting reading about their background in MMOs. Like how in developing FFXI the team was told to play Everquest, and they all got so addicted their meetings were held in game.

It's pretty telling in that interview that Matsui didn't say a word when they were talking about making MMOs that are fun and easy to play and aren't timesinks.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter