Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Final Fantasy has been saved.

10.19.2013 2:08pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

The Hulk said:

How is another MMO a step in the right direction, in any way? That's not me being shitty btw, I'm genuinely curious as I never have and never will play it.

That was my attitude with FFXI. I decided to give FFXIV a chance and I love it. Give in a go, I think you will see why everyone is praising it so much.

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 2:35pm

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

FFXIV: ARR gives me hope that the next single player FF won't be terrible. And this is coming from someone who doesn't play MMOs, at least I didn't play them. I love FFXIV: ARR.

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 3:13pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Lexx said:

At the risk of proving how out of touch I've become with the FF franchise, why does everyone blame Toriyama and Kitase for the recent slump in quality?

Because FFXIII was blech.

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 3:22pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Lexx said:

At the risk of proving how out of touch I've become with the FF franchise, why does everyone blame Toriyama and Kitase for the recent slump in quality?

Overly dramatic Neogaf thread will fill you in: https://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=493486

Personally, I dislike the shoehorning of Lightning into every FF game. I counted recently and if they keep up her cameos in games she'll actually surpass Cloud for cameo appearances in a year or two.

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 5:11pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Can you explain what makes FFXIV ARR so good?  I"m not really into MMOs but I'd like to keep an open mind to try something new. But what specfically to you guys makes it so good?

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 5:57pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

shadowphoenix said:

That was my attitude with FFXI. I decided to give FFXIV a chance and I love it. Give in a go, I think you will see why everyone is praising it so much.
Well the fact that I don't like online games is a factor but it's not the only one.  I just don't have anywhere near the time to sink into it, plus even if I did my PS3 is banned (boo Sony).

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 10:41pm

Scribe
The Taru

Start of the meeting:

"Guys, I don't know how to say this... There just aren't enough micro transactions in Final Fantasy. I mean take FFVII for example; people can just beat Emerald Weapon with time spent training. Or even get level 4 limit breaks not even having to spend a single yen trying to get GP or BP. We've been giving out our games for free."

Jump to Post

10.19.2013 10:47pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

FFXIV ARR's quality aside. The thing with Naoki Yoshida, aka Yoshi-P, is:

1. He's a big fan of the older games in the series. Rather than try to make interactive movies or use whatever fancy new buzzwords Kitase and co. like to do, he wants to embrace what made the older FF's so well liked using new technology to its fullest.

2. He doesn't live in a bubble. He plays a LOT of games from all sorts of different developers and publishers from all over the world. He has a good sense of what makes for good game design.

3. He listens to gamers, which ties into no. 2. He cares what his games' audiences think instead of trying to tell them what they want.  During XIV ARR's redesign process, he spent a lot of time interacting with games and getting a feel for what they wanted and what they hated.

Basically, while Kitase and co. spend their time coming up with ideas in corporate boardrooms, Yoshida keeps it real.

Jump to Post

10.20.2013 5:52am
 (Edited on 10.20.2013 at 6:02am)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

^^^ this! Basically Kitase has lost it in recent years. He had a huge hand with some early gems like FFVII, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger but between then and now he kind of lost touch in making games. And even storytellying, which he seems to be a big supporter off, he's fallen off I remember he made some comments about if Final Fantasy should take a more mature rout, he said no and said (paraphrasing) that he wants to keep the franchise targeting a younger demographic and if older fans have to "deal with it".

To be honest it's not really about Final Fantasy having mature themes or adolecent ones. Persona 3 (which I played only a year ago) were based around teenagers in a high school setting. I loved the characters and thought the story was great and resonated with me. It's just that FFXIII mistakes adolecent themes with annoying anime tropes and cliches.

So younger characters aren't the problem it's how Final Fantasy and Square Enix tries to project and potray these characters. One example is Zell he seems to be so hyper and super excited to go into battle like a little kid waiting to play Call of Duty or entering Disneyland. He gets bummed out if he doesn't see action and wants to go fight so he can show himself off. Now I have never been to war or in the battle field but a lot of recruits I assume are in their late teens as well but I am 100% sure no young recruit going to war or battle is going to act like Zell. Ok some might want a twitch of action (as shown in the movie Jarhead) but not in the way is shown with Zell's character. Though to be fair FFVIII did keep things real with Irvine (choking under pressure) but still Zell pretty much is a perfect example in what is worng with FF's recent characterizations.

Jump to Post

10.20.2013 11:00am
Thread Creator (Edited on 10.20.2013 at 12:26pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

Spidey said:

Can you explain what makes FFXIV ARR so good?  I"m not really into MMOs but I'd like to keep an open mind to try something new. But what specfically to you guys makes it so good?

Gonna take a brief stab at this. Simply put, it's a true FF game. It's got all the stables of an old school game - fun combat, great music and a good story. The world is a traditional FF - crystals, medieval, and less cyberpunk. For some reason it reminds of FF12 a lot.

The MMO aspect makes it come alive for me, in a way that FF11 tried, but never did. It's so cool to be wandering around a town and hear the "tap tap tap" of a Blacksmither levelling their craft, or seeing a cute virtual couple walk over to a cafe and sit down and smile at each other.

Unlike FF11 however, the vast majority of the storyline can be soloed. You still need to team up to do dungeons, but you will probably only do that once or twice a week for a while. Of course if you want to do end-game stuff you'll be doing it a lot more.

It is not remotely a timesink, though it can be if you want it to. I've been playing three weeks and I'm at level 38 (cap is 50). Most of that is through soloing, playing a few hours a night for three days a week (more time on weekends admittedly).

It's not perfect, but SE got so many things right it's truly amazing.

A similar discussion has been going on in this thread btw.

Jump to Post

10.20.2013 4:59pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I think it's truly incredible that they turned around a broken mess of a game like the original FF14 into a very well-designed game. And got people to not only come back, but also get a lot of new people interested in the game.

I had my serious doubts about this. That even if they turned it around quality-wise, it was too late to make it successful. And they still have a long way to go to climb out of the financial hole the original 14 and the costs of remaking the game put them in. But the turnaround is stunning. That FF14 turned from a disaster to a gem shows you just how impressive Yoshi-P and his team are.

Jump to Post

10.21.2013 1:23am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I think one of the coolest things I read about Yoshi-P is that he is actually playing FFXIV, right now, alongside other players incognito. He says he's taking it slow and is only up to Titan (which is exactly where I'm at! Maybe I'll fight it with Yoshi-P!?), because he loves just wandering around helping people and doing low-level dungeons with first-timers.

Jump to Post

10.21.2013 4:49am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

I remember how hard 'story' Ifrit was for me during Beta. Last night we ran it twice to test out some settings and get a tank some tanking exposure and carried each DF person through it in 4 minutes.

I could do nothing but laugh at how much better you get from playing.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 1:30am
 (Edited on 10.22.2013 at 1:37am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

shooter_mcgavin said:

^^^ this! Basically Kitase has lost it in recent years. He had a huge hand with some early gems like FFVII, FFVI, and Chrono Trigger but between then and now he kind of lost touch in making games. And even storytellying, which he seems to be a big supporter off, he's fallen off I remember he made some comments about if Final Fantasy should take a more mature rout, he said no and said (paraphrasing) that he wants to keep the franchise targeting a younger demographic and if older fans have to "deal with it".

To be honest it's not really about Final Fantasy having mature themes or adolecent ones. Persona 3 (which I played only a year ago) were based around teenagers in a high school setting. I loved the characters and thought the story was great and resonated with me. It's just that FFXIII mistakes adolecent themes with annoying anime tropes and cliches.

So younger characters aren't the problem it's how Final Fantasy and Square Enix tries to project and potray these characters. One example is Zell he seems to be so hyper and super excited to go into battle like a little kid waiting to play Call of Duty or entering Disneyland. He gets bummed out if he doesn't see action and wants to go fight so he can show himself off. Now I have never been to war or in the battle field but a lot of recruits I assume are in their late teens as well but I am 100% sure no young recruit going to war or battle is going to act like Zell. Ok some might want a twitch of action (as shown in the movie Jarhead) but not in the way is shown with Zell's character. Though to be fair FFVIII did keep things real with Irvine (choking under pressure) but still Zell pretty much is a perfect example in what is worng with FF's recent characterizations.

Zell was my favorite character in the game....he may not act like anyone I know, but I'd LOVE to know someone like Zell in real life.  Of course I also enjoy characters who I wouldn't wanna be friends with in real life too, like Irvine,  but something about Zell's personality just made me like his character so much.  We all do know people who are over zealous over food and women, and whlie Zell was kind of an exageration on that type of person, he brought out the likeable charactersistics of people who are a milder version of him.  I don't think his character would have been as half as interesting if he was worried about going to war.

You could also argue that he was indeed worried about it but didn't show it, instead he expressed his fears and worries by over compensating with smiles and laughter. I personally do that all the time, it's a self defense mechanism.   Maybe the game needed a few more scenes to show his real feelings to support this argument but the approach is something I can agree with it. This is in contrast to FF13 where everyone shows their emotions publicly and as loudly as possible, which is far more unrealstic to people bottling them up inside.

I'm gonna wait til Free Spritt finishes FF14 ARR. If he declares it good after he beats it, I will actually get the damn game and give it a shot. No pressure buddy. Hahah. Just as another person who doesn't play MMOs, your opinion will hold the highest stock for me..i've heard people give me that story about other MMOs and I never enjoy them, but I am optimistic about this one since like you I too want to solo as many missions as possible, so if I only have to team up a few times I can see myself enjoying the game, so I'll wait til your done and get your assessment. I actually really enjoy multiplayer games, but I use RPGs specifically as an escape inside my own mind and to cool off, if I have to deal with people I'm not gonna have the motivation to play the game very often. Since it seems we are on the same page with that I'll see what you thought when you finish. I have no real doubts as to the quality of the gameplay and skills system which I can tell are superb.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 3:58am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

Onyx said:

FFXIV ARR's quality aside. The thing with Naoki Yoshida, aka Yoshi-P, is:

1. He's a big fan of the older games in the series. Rather than try to make interactive movies or use whatever fancy new buzzwords Kitase and co. like to do, he wants to embrace what made the older FF's so well liked using new technology to its fullest.

2. He doesn't live in a bubble. He plays a LOT of games from all sorts of different developers and publishers from all over the world. He has a good sense of what makes for good game design.

3. He listens to gamers, which ties into no. 2. He cares what his games' audiences think instead of trying to tell them what they want.  During XIV ARR's redesign process, he spent a lot of time interacting with games and getting a feel for what they wanted and what they hated.

Basically, while Kitase and co. spend their time coming up with ideas in corporate boardrooms, Yoshida keeps it real.

Perfectly stated.  Speaking on number 2, I'm looking forward to his plans of a DAOC-like RvR in 2014.  If done correctly, it wil be awesome.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter