Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

GDC: How SE fixed FF14

< Prev 1 2 Next >

03.20.2014 2:03am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

https://www.siliconera.com/2014/03/19/focus-graphics-killed-final-fantasy-xiv-heres-square-enix-revived/

This is a really good read.

The change SE has gone through with ARR may be enough to bring them back to making top quality games.

Just read the slides - this is a company that just five years ago didn't have forums for their MMO titles. The interaction with customers is amazing.

Jump to Post

03.20.2014 11:44am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

You wouldn't know it from Lightning Returns. That game is a chore. Hah.

Jump to Post

03.20.2014 7:45pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

Maybe they should fire all the Lightning people and just make the FF14 people make all their games now.

TT

Jump to Post

03.20.2014 7:48pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Different teams.

Jump to Post

03.20.2014 8:49pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I wonder if the FFXIV team was the same one that did XI (ie- whoever from the Xenogears/Chrono Cross team didn't go to Monolith Soft).

Wanna try FFXIV because I wanna fucking ride Magitek Armor again.  But alas, no steady income and subscription fees.

Jump to Post

03.21.2014 11:31am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Thirdtwin said:

Maybe they should fire all the Lightning people and just make the FF14 people make all their games now.

Not Versus 14. That game looks like FF 13 in Tokyo. Maybe when 15 comes out in 8 years.

Jump to Post

03.21.2014 1:15pm
 (Edited on 03.21.2014 at 1:24pm)

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Uh, you do know that Versus XIII is officially FFXV now? They dropped that bombshell at last year's E3. So yeah, another FF game attached to that stupid Fabula Nova Crystallis thing. At least FFXIV has no connection to it.

Crusader said:

I wonder if the FFXIV team was the same one that did XI (ie- whoever from the Xenogears/Chrono Cross team didn't go to Monolith Soft).

Wanna try FFXIV because I wanna fucking ride Magitek Armor again.  But alas, no steady income and subscription fees.

FFXIV version 1.0 was the same team as the original FFXI team, yes (led by FFIII's original producer Hiromichi Tanaka). That team was given it's marching orders in late 2010 though after the game's abysmal launch, with Naoki Yoshida being brought on board leading a whole new team of developers to fix the mess Tanaka left. How Yoshi-P pulled off this seemingly impossible feat is beautifully summed up in that screenshot Zubis posted at the top of this thread. ;)

Jump to Post

03.22.2014 3:02am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^I remember the news. My bad, I keep forgetting that FF 14 is that MMO thing. I meant FF 15. What were we talking about again? lol

Anyway, since everyone here loves the game, I'm really going to have to give it a whirl after I finish the 13 saga. It's just going to suck having to get internet for this one game. Still, the Magitek Armor thing intrigues me.

Jump to Post

03.22.2014 4:43am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Thirdtwin said:

Yes.  I am cool if they flat out execute Toriyama and make Yoshi-P emperor of Squeenix.

It takes a while to get to that point but the entire experience is so pleasant all throughout, and there are lots of other smaller experiences along similar lines to the magitek armour.

Jump to Post

03.24.2014 3:54pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Thirdtwin said:

I do like the look and style of FFXIV I often wonder why they don't use that same design in their mainline single player FF titles? FFXII comes the closest and I would have been fine with that if they followed through the subsequent FF titles.

Jump to Post

03.24.2014 4:02pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

My guess: graphic is the king = graphic innovation = crazy shaders = crazy designs.  And old school style just doesn't look cool enough.

Jump to Post

03.24.2014 4:36pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

If only they could fire Kitase, Nojima, and Toriyama, then put Yoshi-P in charge of Final Fantasy in general.

Though I'd keep Nomura on board because he can do pretty good things. He just needs someone to be a creative check against his crazier ideas.

Jump to Post

03.24.2014 5:53pm

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I love crazy Nomura. Give me more crazy designs. His stuff from FFV, VI, and VII are the craziest things he's ever come up with, and the best. He's gotten a lot tamer and more mainstream over the years, and while his art is always clean, crisp, and beautiful, it does seem to have lost that WTF Amano influence it once had when he and Amano worked side by side, art-wise. Then again, when Nomura wants to do crazy things not related to artistic direction...eh, yeah. Stick to art Nomura, you does it gud.

Anyways, FFXIV is awesome, everyone on FFO needs to buy it and play it. With me!  I'd love to have some FFO peeps to play with now that I am thoroughly into endgame territory (Coil and Extreme Primals now). I actually have my own Free Company now (Rank 8 with housing, yo) and would gladly take any FFO members who are squeemish about playing an MMO and help them as much as possible. I hate MMO's, but I've stuck with FFXIV long enough to get more or less use to things. And this game is an FF fan's MMO, no doubt about it. While FFXI was very much its own thing way off from the rest of the series in many ways, FFXIV is very much the 14th game in the series. And I need more FF fans to play with. Too many of these MMO types are just that - MMO'ers. They have zero appreciation for the fact that this is an FF, and have no idea what it is they are actually playing beyond "the next MMO in the line". When I see people who don't know who GIlgamesh is and have no excitement for his upcoming FFXIV appearance, when I see people who are completely oblivious to how awesome CT really IS for an FF fan, when I see people who don't squee at behemoth and magitek armor mounts, when I see people who just. plain. don't. get. it. on so many things in this game, it hurts. it really does. I'm playing an FF game with a bunch of people who have no idea what FF even is most of the time, and don't even care that they don't know, and there's something extremely offputting about that. So! If you're thinking about playing this game, Mateus server, Esprit Libre and the Spirit of Mateus FC FTW! Gogogo

(warning: anyone who starts playing this game will never do anything else ever again. I have Bravely Default, FFX/X-2 HD, and Lightning Returns sitting around unplayed, and I have no idea when I will find time to play them.....)

Jump to Post

03.24.2014 7:43pm
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

shooter_mcgavin said:

I do like the look and style of FFXIV I often wonder why they don't use that same design in their mainline single player FF titles? FFXII comes the closest and I would have been fine with that if they followed through the subsequent FF titles.

There's a reason for that, explained in the bonus DVD that came with FFX in Europe.

Essentially after cyberpunk games (FF7, FF8) they wanted to challenge the fanbase's notions of what "fantasy" means, ie, not just traditional  fantasy (FF9), but other types. So that's why we got FF10 with an pseudo-asian background, and why they went European fantasy with FF11.

FF12 tanked, they moved away from that fantasy style and we got stuck with FF13's style. FF14 was a true return to give the fanbase what they want.

Free Spirit said:

Too many of these MMO types are just that - MMO'ers. They have zero appreciation for the fact that this is an FF, and have no idea what it is they are actually playing beyond "the next MMO in the line". When I see people who don't know who GIlgamesh is and have no excitement for his upcoming FFXIV appearance, when I see people who are completely oblivious to how awesome CT really IS for an FF fan, when I see people who don't squee at behemoth and magitek armor mounts, when I see people who just. plain. don't. get. it. on so many things in this game, it hurts. it really does. I'm playing an FF game with a bunch of people who have no idea what FF even is most of the time, and don't even care that they don't know, and there's something extremely offputting about that. So! If you're thinking about playing this game, Mateus server, Esprit Libre and the Spirit of Mateus FC FTW! Gogogo

Do remember that many people playing FF14 weren't born when you started playing FF4 etc.

That being said, most of my guild are from the FF6-10 generation at least.

Jump to Post

03.25.2014 1:08am

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

I don't think I'd call FF8 cyberpunk >_>

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter