Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

GDC: How SE fixed FF14

< Prev 1 2 Next >

03.25.2014 1:41am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Free Spirit said:

I love crazy Nomura. Give me more crazy designs. His stuff from FFV, VI, and VII are the craziest things he's ever come up with, and the best. He's gotten a lot tamer and more mainstream over the years, and while his art is always clean, crisp, and beautiful, it does seem to have lost that WTF Amano influence it once had when he and Amano worked side by side, art-wise. Then again, when Nomura wants to do crazy things not related to artistic direction...eh, yeah. Stick to art Nomura, you does it gud.

Anyways, FFXIV is awesome, everyone on FFO needs to buy it and play it. With me!  I'd love to have some FFO peeps to play with now that I am thoroughly into endgame territory (Coil and Extreme Primals now). I actually have my own Free Company now (Rank 8 with housing, yo) and would gladly take any FFO members who are squeemish about playing an MMO and help them as much as possible. I hate MMO's, but I've stuck with FFXIV long enough to get more or less use to things. And this game is an FF fan's MMO, no doubt about it. While FFXI was very much its own thing way off from the rest of the series in many ways, FFXIV is very much the 14th game in the series. And I need more FF fans to play with. Too many of these MMO types are just that - MMO'ers. They have zero appreciation for the fact that this is an FF, and have no idea what it is they are actually playing beyond "the next MMO in the line". When I see people who don't know who GIlgamesh is and have no excitement for his upcoming FFXIV appearance, when I see people who are completely oblivious to how awesome CT really IS for an FF fan, when I see people who don't squee at behemoth and magitek armor mounts, when I see people who just. plain. don't. get. it. on so many things in this game, it hurts. it really does. I'm playing an FF game with a bunch of people who have no idea what FF even is most of the time, and don't even care that they don't know, and there's something extremely offputting about that. So! If you're thinking about playing this game, Mateus server, Esprit Libre and the Spirit of Mateus FC FTW! Gogogo

(warning: anyone who starts playing this game will never do anything else ever again. I have Bravely Default, FFX/X-2 HD, and Lightning Returns sitting around unplayed, and I have no idea when I will find time to play them.....)
if circumstances were different, I would join you in a heartbeat. But, I have put roots down as an FC leader in Siren server.

Jump to Post

03.25.2014 9:32am
Thread Creator

Zubis
Registered Member

Thirdtwin said:

I don't think I'd call FF8 cyberpunk >_>

I found a transcript of the interview, they called it sci-fi actually.

INTERVIEW 3 - Yoshinori Kitase (Producer)
For FFVIII and VIII, the setting was sci-fi and many players responded by saying that they preferred a simple fantasy world.
[Fantasy] They seemed to have a fixed notion of what fantasy means to them, and to them, it consisted of a medieval European world. I wanted to change that idea. I wanted to expand the definition of what the players thought the word 'fantasy' implied. Going back to a medieval European fantasy didn't seem to help us advance, so while I was considering different world environments, Nojima proposed the idea of trying to create a fantasy world that incorporated Asian elements.

Jump to Post

03.25.2014 5:56pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Zubis said:

Essentially after cyberpunk games (FF7, FF8) they wanted to challenge the fanbase's notions of what "fantasy" means, ie, not just traditional  fantasy (FF9), but other types. So that's why we got FF10 with an pseudo-asian background, and why they went European fantasy with FF11.

FF12 tanked, they moved away from that fantasy style and we got stuck with FF13's style. FF14 was a true return to give the fanbase what they want.

I don't think FF12 tanked, it sold very well. Not as high as FFX but then again, like FFIX, FFXII came out when the next gen consoles were arriving so I think that hurt its sales.

I do wish FF games in the future would, at least, have some restraint in how sci-fi or futuristic their setting is. I think Square-Enix really prided FFXIII as the most futuristic FF ever and, like FFVIII, you notice how it felt like they could break their "own rules" since they could do anything in the world in the pretense that it's futuristic. At least FFX toned things down on that aspect.

Jump to Post

03.25.2014 6:51pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Eh, they did that plenty with the high fantasy games too; magic can answer anything.  Remember how many deus ex machina moments FFIV had?

Jump to Post

03.25.2014 9:47pm

shadowphoenix
It all ends with beginnings...

^^
Final Fantasy IV is immune to all rules :D

Jump to Post

03.26.2014 12:37pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Crusader said:

Eh, they did that plenty with the high fantasy games too; magic can answer anything.  Remember how many deus ex machina moments FFIV had?

I guess that's true with the number of times FFIV cheated death. But magic has always been common place in RPG's but when you combine Sci-Fi and Magic conveniences together like FFVIII the game can practually do anything it wants, I mean in FFXIII Snow's weapon is his coat yeah Edward's weapon was a Harp but I will just imagine it causes damage because it detroys ear lobes :P  plus he was the worst character in the game anyways.

Jump to Post

03.26.2014 8:15pm

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Huh?  I'm pretty sure Snow was just a fistfighter.

Anyway, I wondered if there would ever be a Dragon Quest XI today so I did some minor Internet Research and learned that Yoshi-P being put onto FFXIV was a direct result of him heading up Dragon Quest X.  I am totally cool with more Dragon Quest people making Final Fantasy games.

Jump to Post

03.26.2014 10:34pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Yeah, as stupid as it sounds, Snow's fistpower comes from his jacket.  Yes, it's in the game.  Yes, it's half the reason the game sucks so hard (not really but collectively shit like that stacks and stacks).

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

03.26.2014 10:58pm
 (Edited on 03.26.2014 at 11:06pm)

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Honestly, that's lulzy.  Why don't I remember it?  If they played that up rather than the shitty melodrama, the game might've been a little more bearable.

Jump to Post

03.28.2014 2:31am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Snow's jacket? Really? I thought it was his beanie.

Anyway, it would be awesome to play online with you, FS! I'm going to need a tour guide here whenever I can get everything set up. Which is better to get? The PS3 version or the computer one? I tell you, though, I need a controller in my hand. haha

Jump to Post

03.28.2014 11:46pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Snow's 'weapon' in XIII and XIII-2 most definetely was the circular crest thing strapped to the left arm of his jacket - apparently it was some kind of antimatter power source, or something, according to the Datalog. It just served to show how stupid FFXIII's whole concept really was - if someone uses fists to attack don't disguise it with psuedo-scifi technobabble, call a spade a spade and a Monk a Monk (or 'brawler' if you want to avoid martial-arts cliches). ;)

And FS, I'd take you up on your offer but sadly I'm happy on the server I'm on (Ridill, a JP Legacy server), which was my server in 1.0 too (well, it's descendent from Selbina which is the 1.0 server I was originally on before it became Ridill), hence I want to stay on it for sentimental reasons. Not to mention with me being in Australia the JP server group is closer to me geographically and hence I get slightly better latency, which can make all the difference at times (*cough* Titan (*cough cough*).

Jump to Post

03.30.2014 7:41pm

Thirdtwin
It's you guys' fault

I assume they wanted to make Snow's weapons something visually impressive rather than "glove" or "different colored glove."  Everybody else's weapon does crazy shit like fold up and combine and be a stick with balls on it, but you can't really do a lot with somebody who punches stuff so they were all "maybe we should make it his coat." 

TT

Jump to Post

03.31.2014 4:05am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I've done everything in the game up to Titan HM on the ps3, and have never felt hindered by it. In fact, I have no idea how people even play on a pc with ONLY a keyboard....

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter