Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Hyper and Tranquilizers in FF7

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.20.2012 3:42am
Thread Creator

Scribe
The Taru

Okay, can't believe I've played this game so many times and never bothered to find this out. How does the Fury and Sadness status affect my characters? If I had to guess Sadness slows the limit meter and Fury does the opposite but lowers accuracy. Somebody clarify this for me!

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 3:55am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Sadness reduces damage taken and reduces the rate the limit gauge fills.  Fury reduces accuracy and increases the rate the limit gauge fills.

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 4:01am

Fuuko Sakurada
Momoia =D

I personally always made sure to have my characters on Fury status all through the game because it made the limit break gauge fill quicker though it does reduce attack accuracy ...

BoA*

Best of Asia * since 2000

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 4:08am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Has there been any explanation on to what Hyper actually is?  Tranquilizer's pretty self explanatory, but not Hyper.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 4:24am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Some kind of stimulant or performance enhancer? It would make sense being the opposite of a tranquilizer.

But then I guess this is fantasy after all so it probably doesn't need an actual explanation. It just 'is'.

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 4:39am

mayofmay
Don't worry, I'm just watching you.

Dr Squirrel said:

Has there been any explanation on to what Hyper actually is?  Tranquilizer's pretty self explanatory, but not Hyper.

In modern-day terms, it should probably be "Red Bull" (or "Crimson Cow" to avoid trademark infringement) or "Energy Drink". Who knows if that would ever be updated if, in 23 years, Square-Enix-EA-Konami decides to release Final Fantasy VII (vers. 1.1)

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 6:02am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

Now this is what I like!  Random FF questions about random FF things!

There happens to be official artwork for all the items in FFVII, the Hyper and Tranquilizer included.  This, according to those crazy people at Square, is a Hyper(the red one) and Tranquilizer (the blue one):

The Japanese name for the Hyper is ??奮? ("koufunzai").  That translates simply  to "stimulant."  The Tranquilizer is ??? ("chinseizai"), which is, not surprisingly, "tranquilizer".  The images look like little vials, with the spikey balls being the stoppers.  So...there's some sort of liquid in there, I assume.  The Red Bull analogy for the Hyper would be an apt one,  I think.  One could liken the Tranquilizer to morphine, I suppose.

Jump to Post

05.20.2012 5:11pm

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Hey Free Spirit, where are you getting that information?

Jump to Post

05.21.2012 1:36am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

The item images I just copy/pasted from the FF wiki's FFVII Items page.  The images can originally be found in the FFVII Ultimania Omega, which is also where I pulled the Japanese names.

Jump to Post

05.21.2012 3:55am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Valium is a better analogy for tranquilizer, but the official artwork is interesting. Thanks Free Spirit.

Jump to Post

05.22.2012 6:00am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I second always being in fury. Taking some extra damage is well worth getting a bunch of limit breaks!

Jump to Post

05.22.2012 9:00am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

I recall making sure to put every one of my characters into Fury status for pretty much the entirety of every playthrough.  I considered it a free and easy buff to apply and keep applied.  I didn't even notice the lowered accuracy.

Sadness on the other hand, I don't honestly think I realized it reduced damage until long after my random FFVII playthrough days were over, so I never utilized it as much as I probably could have.

Jump to Post

05.23.2012 7:32am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Unless you're very underleveled for some reason (low level/etc playthrough) the benefits for Fury strongly outweigh the HP benefit to being in Sadness (and this isn't even taking into effect the downside of your limit bar gaining slower).

Jump to Post

05.23.2012 8:43am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Yeah, I never noticed any real reduction in accuracy with Fury status either (especially when equipped with something like Tifa's Godhand or Vincent's Sniper CR with their 255% ACC. The accuracy reduction is negligible in any event.

About the only time I ever used Tranqulizers was late in the game when I was developing everyone's Limit Breaks -  Sadness is handy keeping Cloud subdued so that someone else can get the final kill instead of him just slaughtering everything in sight with Quad Cut ;)

Besides, it suits him being emo and all. :p

Jump to Post

05.24.2012 5:44am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

Sadness is also good to help keep Vincent's limit from breaking, which makes him more useful.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter