Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

"New" FF9 sidequest discovered

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.28.2013 4:19am
Thread Creator

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Saw this posted on Reddit:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=568409

http://www.reddit.com/r/JRPG/comments/1f5k5r/a_new_sidequest_was_found_in_ffix_13_years_later/

Love the top Reddit remark, that the only reason this sidequest is largely unknown outside of Japan is because of Brady's shitty guide. Worst game guide I've ever used.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 5:23am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

That's hysterical.  Thye must have had a blast making that part.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 5:50am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Whoa, that's awesome.

I forgot the stats for the Protect Ring so I checked it out:

The Protect Ring is an add-on that halves the damage from all elements, as well as providing +1 Spirit, +2 Defense, +4 Evasion, +3 Magic Defense, and +6 Magic Evasion. It teaches the abilities Half MP, Long Reach, and Mag Elm Null.

Totally worth the trouble, IMO.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 6:06am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I think the reason for this sidequest being so unknown for so long was because of how Square handled the game's strategy guide at the time - in other words, they refused to endorse any actual guide in favour of only an experimental online guide accessed through Playonline, which was a major flop. As it was, the US printed Brady Games guide hardly had any info in it at all (it mostly just featured keywords to the online guide), and the European Piggyback guide was full of mistakes (like how having Save the Queen supposedly gave an alternate ending to the game).

So it's not surprising that there is still stuff that lies buried within the game - it makes me wonder what other side quests lie buried?

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 6:37am

Free Spirit
Zetta Member

The only reason this was discovered at all was because it was in the Ultmania secrets section, and someone who could translate it finally bothered to check it out, post it on gamefaqs, and then well...the rest is quickly becoming history. I'm actually surprised it's getting this much attention. I mean yeah, this is a HUGE deal to me, a total FF fanboy, but your general FF fan I didn't think would take much notice of it. Goes to show how much secret love there is for FFIX. Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 6:45am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Holy crap. this is amazing. And I thought I did everything in the game. Totally fun sidequest too, super funny. Can't believe we've been missing out on this one!

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 7:59am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

this is so cool.  i love it when people dig up stuff like this in old games.  given how much work's been put into doing this with ff7 and ff6, i wonder what else there is to find in other ff games.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 8:54am

Iaian
Retainer

I love stuff like this.

On the one hand, it's super maddening to the OCD completionist; on the other; finding things nobody knew was in the game for over a decade is a testament to how good Sqaure games once were and the feeling of finding it is amazing.

Mind you Square's American arm has always been kinda weird about content in its guides.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 12:36pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I'm pretty sure there was still a way to earn a protect ring in the game.  I seem to remember having one in my uber file back in the day.  *gamefaqs ahoy* Yeah, Ragtime Mouse.

But yes, that is pretty sweet to find an entire sidequest.  Still... this feels very familiar to me.  I think I may have noticed the dialogue once or twice and never bothered to try it further but I could be completely wrong.  Hell, I can't remember what I had for dinner last night... haha

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 1:04pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

That's pretty cool, I didn't realize the Benero family extended that far. I knew the first two went to look for Marcus and Cinna, but most people wouldn't think to revisit the area again and have more of them come pouring out of the hideout. And the Protect Ring is an awesome find for doing this, as has been stated above. Next time I play FFIX, I'm definitely doing this.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 2:28pm
 (Edited on 05.28.2013 at 2:34pm)

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

Oh I knew about that one back when I first played FFIX. Where I read it, I don't remember. Did I do it? Nope.

EDIT: *rereads* Wait, never mind. Wow, okay that's insane. I had no idea the family was that big and that the sidequest stretched that far. o_0

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 5:12pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Just checked my Ultimania and it's actually the secret #3.  JPs are probably laughing at us for making it a huge deal. :p

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 8:42pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Iaian said:

I love stuff like this.

On the one hand, it's super maddening to the OCD completionist; on the other; finding things nobody knew was in the game for over a decade is a testament to how good Sqaure games once were and the feeling of finding it is amazing.

Mind you Square's American arm has always been kinda weird about content in its guides.

See I find it to be the opposite.  I think it's a testament to how games at the time would deliberately put secrets in that one could never be expected to find on your own, thereby driving you to buy the official guide.  Just backfired in this case because of the "guide" in question (this was what made me stop buying most guides and go online instead).  Not saying anything about the quality of the games overall, but I am 100% convinced that promoting the guide was somewhat of a consideration in game design.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 9:43pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Say what?  I need to check this out later.  Fairly certain I've missed my chance since I just got to Disc 4, but I definitely want to see what this is about.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 9:46pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Colinp42 said:

See I find it to be the opposite.  I think it's a testament to how games at the time would deliberately put secrets in that one could never be expected to find on your own, thereby driving you to buy the official guide.  Just backfired in this case because of the "guide" in question (this was what made me stop buying most guides and go online instead).  Not saying anything about the quality of the games overall, but I am 100% convinced that promoting the guide was somewhat of a consideration in game design.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/GuideDangIt

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter