Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Nomura no longer directing FF15.

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next >

09.25.2014 8:23am
 (Edited on 09.25.2014 at 8:35am)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Looks pretty good, and heavily influenced by the direction of Xenoblade with the huge environments and giant monsters and battle system. Time will tell but the characterization seems a looot better than FF13.

They must be doing the all male thing for a reason. Also nobody knows if a female joins your party later on. Is it confirmed that they don't?

You actually play as only ONE character:
Online, there has also been some confusion over who will be playable in Final Fantasy XV. To be clear, Tabata also mentioned to 4Gamer that the only playable character in Final Fantasy XV is Noctis. According to Tabata, the party-play aspect, however, is based on tactical commands you give other characters, and then they act independently. In a separate interview, Tabata told Kotaku that the gameplay feels "very natural."

Heh. Guess what other games only have 1 playable character who is male?

Metal Gear Solid
Kingdom Hearts....
Assassin's Greed
GTA
<Insert 500 more popular games here>

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 2:31pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Yeah... I don't really care what the party is composed of in terms as long as they have some interesting banter and a decent plot develops.  These days, my hope for that is a lot lower though so we'll see how it plays out but I'm certainly not going to pass on the game because it's a bunch of dudes. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:09pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Spidey said:

Looks pretty good, and heavily influenced by the direction of Xenoblade with the huge environments and giant monsters and battle system. Time will tell but the characterization seems a looot better than FF13.

They must be doing the all male thing for a reason. Also nobody knows if a female joins your party later on. Is it confirmed that they don't?

Metal Gear Solid
Kingdom Hearts....
Assassin's Greed
GTA

It sounds like they're mashing ideas from The Last Story and Xenoblade together. This could be interesting.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:35pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Spidey said:

Metal Gear Solid
Kingdom Hearts....
Assassin's Greed
GTA

None of those other games (aside from Kingdom Hearts) have you leading around a full-time party, either.

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 4:43pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Everything about this game looks pretty boring and the cast is a part of why. Though making it a mixed-gender or all-female cast would only make it slightly more interesting.

I just don't care about mainline Final Fantasy anymore, outside of wanting to try out FFXIV ARR. XII and the XIII games did a great job of killing off my interest in the series until some major changes are made at Square Enix's management and creative talent. Though I would be interested in seeing Tabata helm a mainline FF game on his own instead of bailing out Nomura running a game into the ground. Crisis Core was good and Type-0 at least looks interesting even if I still can't play it as I don't have an Xbone or PS4 yet.

(psst, make Yoshi-P lord and master of FF)

Jump to Post

09.25.2014 8:03pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Rhaegar said:

None of those other games (aside from Kingdom Hearts) have you leading around a full-time party, either.

So the complaint is that the characters you lead around are all male?  The issue isn't even who you play as but who you send AI type commands to?  That seems very nit picky reason to dislike a game, but to each their own.

Jump to Post

09.26.2014 2:02am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Scribe said:
Also fun fact that Tabata, in his first main entry, said that he wants this to be the most critically acclaimed entry.
Good on him, and I have high hopes for FFXV and am very excited about it.  However if he wants the game to be so great has he thought about using... color?

Jump to Post

09.26.2014 2:51am

Testament
Shamshot

Xenoblade Chronicles X is, most likely, going to blow this game out of the water.

I'll still give it a shot, though.

Jump to Post

09.26.2014 5:43am

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

Nomura peacing out as director has significantly raised my hype about this game.

Neverhteless, I wasn't a big fan of Crisis Core and haven't played Type-0 yet, so there's a long way to go before I'm legit hype about FFXV.

Jump to Post

10.22.2014 6:30pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Spidey said:

Metal Gear Solid
Kingdom Hearts....
Assassin's Greed
GTA

I guess that question is more if there are any female characters that can join the party. From the looks if it I don't think so, FFXV is still originally based on Nomura's vision I always had a feeling tha tNomura was more interested in desgining male character than female characters anyways (I have no evidence on that it's just a gut feeling). And Nomura felt that the original FF vs. XIII project was the way he could do that with high production values.

I am dissapointed that Noctis is the only playable character and you can't control your party members. I recall an traier a few years ago that hinted that you could control other party members, I guess they took that out.

I kind of hope future FF games, if they are going to the only one controllable player character, playstyle, allow you to have the freedom of cutomizing your character's class and skillsets like in Mass Effect.

Jump to Post

10.22.2014 8:30pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

My feeling is that, considering recent FF games (outside 14 which is really good at what it attempts to do), the onus is on SquareEnix to make us care. In other words, this game isn't even close to getting on my "buy" list until the reviews are in and the word-of-mouth among non-fanboys is positive.

By the way, by "recent games" I mean all the offline games in the series since FFX, 13 fucking years ago.

Jump to Post

10.23.2014 3:48am

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

^

Pretty much this. I remember being excited about the future of the series after Final Fantasy X because I thought for all its flaws Final Fantasy X showed tremendous promise. 

Final Fantasy XII has grown on me over time, but otherwise the series is an afterthought. 

Final Fantasy Type - 0 used to be the type of game that would cause me to buy a console just because it was Final Fantasy. At this point it's going to take word of mouth among non fanboys and this board to cause me to buy a new Final Fantasy game that isn't discounted to 19.99 for a new copy. 

Jump to Post

10.23.2014 5:09am

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Inquisitor said:

Final Fantasy XII has grown on me over time, but otherwise the series is an afterthought. 

I recall gamestrailers being harsh on FFXII during their review but 8 years later in their top 10 Final Fantasy games the game was ranked 4th I believe behind FFVI, FFIX, and FFIV.

So yeah the game is going to grow over time for a lot of people who didn't appreciate it at first but I would have to thank FFXIII for that. I forgot who said it but they felt the appreciation of FFXII grew once FFXIII turned out the way it was. Since the complaint of FFXII was it was nothing like FFX and the successor of X was FFXIII, fans got what they asked for but the turned out to be pretty mediocre. To be fair though FFX is a very good game with some noticable flaws but FFXIII for some reason decided to leverage on FFX's flaws and amplify it. 

I am upset that it seems Square-Enix has somewhat disowned FFXII even acknowledging their dissapoitnments towards the game. While both FFXII and FFXIII were heavily critisized games FFXIII was the one more hated by the fans while FFXII still managed to have a strong following with others being lukewarm toward the game. Yet FFXIII seems to be defended by Square-Enix even to the point they would manufacture the popularity of the game and create two sequels and have the 2nd Dissidia game revolve around Lightning. 

What is strange though for all it's flaws FFXII had the right idea in the direction Final Fantasy should have gone to stay relevant in the 7th generation. It was an open world (open worldish game) and was a free roaming game for the most part, it had a more fantasy setting that made Elder Scrolls and Dragon age successful on consoles, and had a battle system in which even Bioware took elements from (Dragon Age's Tactics system was inspired by the Gambit system ).  If only Square-Enix refined these elements more we wouldn't be talking about the downfall of the Final Fantasy franchise.

In the end I actually have a feeling that FFXII is going to hold up better than FFX and FFXIII.

Jump to Post

10.23.2014 12:38pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Call me unfaithful, but the rebranded Versus 13 trailer did not impress me. Yes, I'm glad that they're finishing it, but what I saw felt a little flat. It's a little sad for me to see that there won't be any female playable characters. Just another thing that will seem to be "missing" in my eyes.

Jump to Post

10.25.2014 2:43pm

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

shooter_mcgavin said:

I recall gamestrailers being harsh on FFXII during their review but 8 years later in their top 10 Final Fantasy games the game was ranked 4th I believe behind FFVI, FFIX, and FFIV.

So yeah the game is going to grow over time for a lot of people who didn't appreciate it at first but I would have to thank FFXIII for that. I forgot who said it but they felt the appreciation of FFXII grew once FFXIII turned out the way it was. Since the complaint of FFXII was it was nothing like FFX and the successor of X was FFXIII, fans got what they asked for but the turned out to be pretty mediocre. To be fair though FFX is a very good game with some noticable flaws but FFXIII for some reason decided to leverage on FFX's flaws and amplify it. 

I am upset that it seems Square-Enix has somewhat disowned FFXII even acknowledging their dissapoitnments towards the game. While both FFXII and FFXIII were heavily critisized games FFXIII was the one more hated by the fans while FFXII still managed to have a strong following with others being lukewarm toward the game. Yet FFXIII seems to be defended by Square-Enix even to the point they would manufacture the popularity of the game and create two sequels and have the 2nd Dissidia game revolve around Lightning. 

What is strange though for all it's flaws FFXII had the right idea in the direction Final Fantasy should have gone to stay relevant in the 7th generation. It was an open world (open worldish game) and was a free roaming game for the most part, it had a more fantasy setting that made Elder Scrolls and Dragon age successful on consoles, and had a battle system in which even Bioware took elements from (Dragon Age's Tactics system was inspired by the Gambit system ).  If only Square-Enix refined these elements more we wouldn't be talking about the downfall of the Final Fantasy franchise.

In the end I actually have a feeling that FFXII is going to hold up better than FFX and FFXIII.

I am not in the camp that hated Final Fantasy XIII. It was flawed for sure, but I didn't hate it. That said, SE has gone way out of their way to try and convince us how grate that game and that world is with the sequels (full disclosure I have not played either XIII-2 or XIII-3).

That said, you hit the nail on the head about in retrospect FFXII seemed to be heading in the right direction with the open world free roaming battle system. When I played FFXII I had never played a Western RPG and never touched a BioWare game. Since then I have declared Mass Effect my favorite gaming series and had enough experience with Dragon Age,Fallout, and Elder Scrolls to know that is the type of game I want to play over a traditional JRPG in most cases. I still enjoy JRPGs, but the formula isn't as effective as it was when I was younger. When I look at what SE is trying to do with the Final Fantasy series it is almost like they are trying to cling to what worked in the past but ignoring changes in gamer tastes. But overall I completely agree, in retrospect as I have acknowledged my changing tastes and the changes in RPG console gaming in general, it seems like Final Fantasy XII should have far more sway than it did. 

Didn't it influence Xenobloade to some extent? I have not yet played Xenoblade, but I have seen that tossed around some on the net. And I know Xenoblade is loved by most RPG gamers. I really need to pull that game out of my backlog and play it.....

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 4 5 6 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter