Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

Unsolved Mystery: The FFVII Pepsi Leather Jacket

01.19.2015 7:26pm
Thread Creator

landstander
Registered Member

I wanted to post this because I've googled it and turned up nothing.  Anyway, back in 1997, Squaresoft did a cross promotion (pre-launch) for FFVII with Pepsi (this is before they went with Coca Cola).  They sold special 24 can cases of Pepsi with the FFVII logo and characters (I remember Cloud, Tifa, Aeris and Sephiroth) on the cardboard.  In addition to this, they had a contest, where if you sent in your UPC for proof of purchase you could win a leather jacket with a Final Fantasy VII logo on the back.  Anyway, I always wondered:  Did anyone ever actually win one of these?  Have they turned up on ebay, and if so, what do they sell for? I apologize if this is some topic that has been covered over and over, but I'm too stupid to find out, it's just been driving me crazy ever since I remembered this contest.

Jump to Post

01.20.2015 9:31am

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Is it this?

https://www.gamesniped.com/2010/07/31/final-fantasy-vii-official-varsity-jacket-150/

I know how frustrating it can be to find stuff from before the internet. It took me awhile to find the commercials for VI and VII, myself.

Jump to Post

01.20.2015 10:02am
Thread Creator

landstander
Registered Member

Coolsetzer said:

Is it this?

https://www.gamesniped.com/2010/07/31/final-fantasy-vii-official-varsity-jacket-150/

I know how frustrating it can be to find stuff from before the internet. It took me awhile to find the commercials for VI and VII, myself.

That is indeed it, thanks a lot for finding this.  I always wondered because I sent in several of the UPCs (and drank way too much Pepsi) trying to get one, then I read an article recently about how the McDonalds contests were rigged for years and wondered if anyone ever actually got a jacket (or if the employees who ran the contest just kept them).  It's cool to see that people did win these.

The information in that listing is at least partly in error though, I didn't know about a website contest but did enter this Pepsi one (unless maybe you could enter your UPC on the website for the Pepsi contest as well, I just mailed mine in).  I used to have the old cardboard Pepsi artwork, but I didn't store it properly and it disintegrated, if only I'd laminated it.  Also, I remember thinking about how awesome that jacket looked at the time... I can only imagine how dumb I'd look rolling up to the HS parking lot in my POS car wearing that jacket as I look back in hindsight. 

Jump to Post

01.20.2015 4:17pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Glad to help! I just typed in Final Fantasy VII jacket and got that. It was the third link down. I do know that the Taco Bell contests are rigged, too. They'll advertise "win and Xbone every 30 seconds!" or something, and set it up like bidding with points you get with buying their food. But the trick is that they'll have their company employees bid outrageous amounts like 50,000 and such. That was the last contest I saw that was last year.

But yeah, I feel you on the feeling weird part. I'm too old to wear stuff with silly logos on them anymore. At least some game companies have slightly more tasteful merchandise on their sites these days.

Jump to Post

06.07.2016 8:37am

lizaellis
Registered Member

The leather jacket in the art is one cool outfit. Of course leather jacket looks amazingly cool on whoever tries it on. I am a huge fan of leather apparels. I have a gaming leather jacket which is basically a Replica Jacket I bought from Sky-Seller.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter