Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Final Fantasy Series

square admits their mistakes, vows to make better games

< Prev 1 2 Next >

05.25.2013 6:28am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

A: "Hey, things are pretty bad right now.  We haven't had a good game in a while... what should we do next?"

B: "Hey remember when we rushed that PC port of FFVIII THIRTEEN YEARS AGO?  Let's try one more time."

I like that they aren't even raising the polygon count on the models though.  They are definitely playing it very safe.

Jump to Post

05.25.2013 5:35pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Squeenix only has two modes right now: play it safe or take incredibly stupid expensive risk. It would be nice if they could take the occasional smart, reasonably priced risk.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

05.25.2013 6:14pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Even that they fuck up. Tomb Raider by all means was a huge hit. But Square Enix's financial forcasting was so ridiculously terrible that it ended up performing under their expectations. Those expectations apparently being "Call of Duty launch."

Jump to Post

05.25.2013 8:30pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

I think the problem is they're spending money they don't have. They budget based on excessively optimisitic forecasts of games that haven't come out yet. That's not too smart. Also, how huge is FFXIV going to have to be to make up for all the time, labor and resources they've blown on it? 

Jump to Post

05.27.2013 11:17pm

JSG
Registered Member

Square talking (vaguely) about a new business structure.

More mobile games!

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 12:16am

Zubis
Registered Member

SE just trademarked Final Fantasy Agito and apparently one of their translators had it on his LinkedIn profile, so I'm guessing we're getting a retail release of it.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 4:35am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Onyx said:

Even that they fuck up. Tomb Raider by all means was a huge hit. But Square Enix's financial forcasting was so ridiculously terrible that it ended up performing under their expectations. Those expectations apparently being "Call of Duty launch."
See the point you just brought up has been nagging at me for some time so I looked into it and...

From Wikipedia:

owever, on 29 March 2013, Crystal Dynamics defended Tomb Raider's sales, stating the reboot had the "most successful launch" of any game this year in addition to setting a new record for highest sales in the franchise's history.

So: Critically acclaimed (unlike, say Final Fantasy), best launch of the year, and best sales in franchise history and it's still a disappointment to them.

And one more thing: When they fucked up FFXIV they invested a ton into improving it even though it's name was taken through the dirt.  Tomb Raider is a smash hit by the standards of everyone on the planet (except them) and they throw it under the bus.  I didn't hear Squeenix complaining about how much money they just blew on FFXIV.

Jump to Post

05.28.2013 9:47pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

They are complete morons.

Jump to Post

06.01.2013 6:31am
 (Edited on 06.01.2013 at 5:45pm)

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

According to Marcus Beer in Invisible Walls. While He can't say anything specific due to embargo, some of the coolest things in E3 are coming from Square Enix. Though none are from Japan.

Jump to Post

06.01.2013 4:00pm

Zubis
Registered Member

"Oh, hi, SE West? Yeah this is Japan talking. We're going to blame you for all our financial woes, but you're actually the future of our company so don't let us down. Ok thxbye."

Jump to Post

06.01.2013 5:51pm
Thread Creator

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

All The Bravest U

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

06.11.2013 4:59pm

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Meh, this is pointless.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter