Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Calling all Astronomy Buffs

02.14.2012 5:10am
Thread Creator

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

So someone I know is really into astronomy and space, and I would like to encourage this interest.

He doesn't have a college degree (he's currently in the military and plans to use his GI bill to get one when he gets out).  But he LOVES to read about space, and will tear up books and blogs on it.  I found out the other day that he's never looked at the stars through a telescope (because he's lived in cities all his life and never owned one), so I plan to take him to an observatory a few hours south of here one weekend when it's actually clear.  Any other ideas? All help/advice/kick ass websites/etc. would be appreciated.  

And if this becomes a "Space is Cool" thread, then awesome. :)

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 10:00am

Megz
Capital M before egz

Procyon from Ye Olde FFO hasn't weighed in here as far as I am aware but he(?) is an astronomer and spends much time (it seems) in Hawaii to observe the night sky. If he is around I'm sure he could set you and/or your friend in the right direction.

Sugar. Short AND sweet.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 8:37pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

If he lives or will live near a university when he's out tell him to go try and sit in on some astronomy classes.  300/400 level astro classes are usually pretty light and most professors I know don't care if someone just sits in if they aren't causing trouble.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 8:49pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

If you have a planetarium nearby, definitely check it out. I used to be huge into astronomy and going to the Hayden Planetarium in NYC was like going to the best toy store in the world.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 9:14pm

hkr
Too queer to get out of bed

I've let Procyon know that ffs exists, but he is currently busy with understanding things that I can't even comprehend.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 9:22pm
Thread Creator

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

The problem with sitting in on an astronomy class is his day job (being a professional badass).  I'm planning to take him to a really cool observatory that's in the middle of nowhere; it has a 24 in. so he should be able to see some awesome stuff.  It's two hours away though.

Onyx, how was a city observatory?  Was there enough darkness to see well?

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 10:06pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Not sure if you can see this in America, but the BBC has a stargazing section with some cool how too guides. - http://www.bbc.co.uk/tv/features/stargazing/

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

02.14.2012 10:31pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Magicjewel said:

The problem with sitting in on an astronomy class is his day job (being a professional badass).  I'm planning to take him to a really cool observatory that's in the middle of nowhere; it has a 24 in. so he should be able to see some awesome stuff.  It's two hours away though.

Onyx, how was a city observatory?  Was there enough darkness to see well?

Well, I don't even think Hayden has an in-house observatory. It's a more a museum than anything. But they do have lectures and presentations and such.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 8:33am

Megz
Capital M before egz

Sorry to necromance, but for those who think space is awesome:

http://www.celestiamotherlode.net/

T
he link will take you to a site where you can download Celestia, an open source, free, real time 3D astronomy program. 

So much awesome in there.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 4:03pm

Aquila
Usually lurking
Administrator

Maybe that new space mining company is hiring? (Based in Bellevue BTW)

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 5:09pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

If any of you own an Android phone, get the Google Sky Map. It's loads of awesome, especially if you live in an area where you can actually see the night sky.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 5:25pm

Revrick
Mind your P's and Q's

I second Google Sky Map for droids. I have a bit of fun with that. Also Star Walk on iPad/Phone garners my attention every couple of nights for the same functionality. Actually, I don't think i've used sky map since I got star walk. Still, both are fun.

Jump to Post

04.25.2012 5:54pm

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

I had Sky Map for awhile until I needed to free up some space on my phone.  Very cool indeed.  I need to go visit somewhere I can see the stars.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 12:40am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

My husband went through an astronomy kick a few years ago, even got himself a pretty big telescope with it's own little shack in the back, I figure the books he read back them might be outdated, but he did read a series of magazines, I'll ask him and let you know.
Also tell him to research about the three, four? meteor showers we experience every year in the northen hemisphere, one of the coolest things to do is to go meteor shower watching at an unpopulated place, if you got the time and inclination.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter