Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Engineering Degree Dissertation

04.26.2012 11:16pm
Thread Creator

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Evening folks, I was hoping to get some advice from some of the chaps and chapettes on here about my dissertation.

I'm part way through my dissertation in Radio Frequency Engineering, and am trying to do a comparison of 3-dimensional air surveillance radar methodologies.  So far I have excousted my university library looking for academic papers on the subject but have had little success there.  I am in the process of building a basic block diagram of a working radar system, descibing the important parts in more detail, delving into the theoretical sides of certain RF techniques.  The intention is to do the same with another two radar systems that achieve the same results in radically different ways.

The problem is that my tutor is next to useless, and all she keeps saying is "do more literature research", "the project isn't viable" or my personal favourute "your work isn't up to level 4 standard".  What she means by the last one is that my work isn't demonstrating the required depth or complexity required.  The result is me being confused on how to proceed, changing my project idea several times and have since started trying to shoe-horn in some maths to try and rectify this, but don't really think it's adding any real weight to my work.

My tutor wants me to run computer simulatons or practical experiments on my work but I certainly don't have the time or money to go and get some useful CAD software (even if I had a clue which one or how to use the damn thing).  So I've no idea how to progress this part other than to demonstrate how a system would achieve its goal through theoretically worked examples using figures based on the radar I work on and that I've plucked out of thin air.

What are peoples experiences with this level of education?  What kind of depth am I needing to go to to get this damn thing back on track?  I'd be really interested to hear what people have to say, particularly those that have done this in an engineering discipline.  The prospect of failing this course and having to repeat it would have serious personal, financial and career consequences, its gotten so bad that I spend  so much of my free time working on it my wife is pissing  off and its causing problems at home.

Any advice would be reatly appreciated.

Jump to Post

04.26.2012 11:47pm

Zubis
Registered Member

I had a similar issue last year doing a Masters Degree in Software Development. I did a research project on GPS technology and traffic algorithms, demonstrating how open source traffic algorithms can be used more efficiently than an over reliance on certain companies for traffic data.

It was a complete nightmare. The goal of the project was to focus on traffic algorithms and GPS tech. It had a number of key deliverables:

1. Build a GPS device, write software to capture data.
2. Store data in a database, write software to use database.
3. Render data in an application.
4. Apply algorithms to data.
5. Provide summary of findings.

I told by my supervisor every week for three months that my project wasn't software focused enough - despite three seperate pieces of software written for it), and needed lots more algorithms. I finally lost my temper and eventually said "You want algorithms? You got it." so I then had to implement five routing algorithms on top of the traffic algorithms. My conclusion was a new algorithm composed of the algorithms I invested and implemented would be a good open source solution for traffic optimisation.

It got me a Honours mark so I guess it payed off.

Algorithms. Algorithms. Algorithms. Compare, contrast, implement.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 1:47am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

The problem with anything graduate level related (thesis/dissertation/whatever) is yeah, you are going to be expected to do shit out of your league.  I'm actually rather surprised you don't know CAD (or have an illegally downloaded copy); every engineer at my school was pretty much required to know the ins and outs at undergrad level. 

I'm assuming you're working under a professor.  Bug the ever living shit out of him and have him push you in a good direction.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 8:36am
Thread Creator

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

OK so it probably a good idea to get in as much maths as possible then, and by Algorithms you mean equations yes?.

Crono, do you know of any CAD software that would fit my purpose i.e. electronics, Radio Frequency, Microwave , Radar, stuff like that?  If I could get some CAD software that actually did want I want to model I would feel far better about how to progress the dissertation.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 12:36pm

Megz
Capital M before egz

Mr. Biscuits try a search here: http://www.f1technical.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6&sid=a5dd7fa4649cf3aea44851eb642f6b5c the guys over there are often using CAD and CFD to evaluate their own F1 design and a desertation or thesis pops up about once a month. You might find some help having a look around and PMing some of the guys using those bits of software.

Sugar. Short AND sweet.

Jump to Post

04.27.2012 4:46pm
Thread Creator

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Ugh, tried using AutoCAD.  Didn't go well.  I've got to think about doing a course in CAD.  I think I can run similationss by hand, calculating everything manually.  Though I need to first calculate the size of a propagated pencil beam pattern, no idea how I can do that.

Jump to Post

04.28.2012 12:39am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Sam, as someone who has done the dissertation process recently I can give you advice on the hell that could be, but I am not an engineer and only somewhat know what you're talking about.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

04.28.2012 2:09am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Sam Biscuits said:

OK so it probably a good idea to get in as much maths as possible then, and by Algorithms you mean equations yes?.

Crono, do you know of any CAD software that would fit my purpose i.e. electronics, Radio Frequency, Microwave , Radar, stuff like that?  If I could get some CAD software that actually did want I want to model I would feel far better about how to progress the dissertation.
Sorry, no.  AutoCAD is the only one I really even know of and what little I knew before I've forgoten.  My degree was Applied Math so I was more of a MathCAD/Maple/MATLab person. 

Jump to Post

04.29.2012 11:55pm

GalaxyHead
Undisguised Man-Made Nova

My master's thesis was about as complex as a dissertation, but in my department it really depended on the adviser in question. Most people avoided my mentor like the plague because he expected PhD level quantitative work from master's students. So while some people earned their degree analyzing 10 measily interviews for a highly supportive "who cares, this is PRACTICE" committee, I spent a year working on a crazy, 7 group multivariate experiment with over 400 subjects that had me crippled with anxiety and my relationship on the rocks. 

Some mentors tell their students "its okay to do the same research over as long as it is SLIGHTLY different" and some think your work has to be COMPLETELY ORIGINAL (my mentor). I don't know what sort of work an engineer does at this level, but the "read more literature" is always good advice, even if it doesn't seem like it. Look for holes in past experiments and test new variables. Read all the "directions for future research" and "limitations" sections you can get your hands on. Eventually you may just GET IT after a time synthesizing what you've read. I don't want to tell you to invest in that "eureka" moment but you'll get there eventually if you keep digging.

Jump to Post

04.30.2012 12:36am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

Sam Biscuits said:

Ugh, tried using AutoCAD.  Didn't go well.  I've got to think about doing a course in CAD.  I think I can run similationss by hand, calculating everything manually.  Though I need to first calculate the size of a propagated pencil beam pattern, no idea how I can do that.

If AutoCAD didn't go well then you're going to have a lot harder time with things like Catia, Solidworks, Pro-E, or Unigraphics.

Jump to Post

04.30.2012 5:26pm
Thread Creator

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Well I've had a bit of a breakthrough.  I'm basically designing the fromt end of a phased array radar at the moment and have progressed to a point where I can apply my own phase shifting circuit and re-apply the "radar equation"multiple times to build a cosecant squard radiation pattern from stacked pencil beam radiation patterns.  Whilst not totally orignal in concept, I'm bringing elemnts of other radar techniques, so I suppose it is kind of original.  I just hope to God it demonstrates "level 4" learning.

I also plan to run "simulations' manually by hand once I've finished modeling my radar.

In addition I am seriously considering doing two CAD courses (Beginner and Advanced) once the dissertation is finished as it seems to be an essential skill of an engineer.  London here I come!

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter