Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Fitness and Health

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next >

02.06.2013 4:23am

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Crono, how tall are you?

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 6:24am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Crono said:

I don't even like my gym that much (Planet Fitness) but it's a half a mile from my house (not exagerating) and ten bucks a month... who can freaking argue with that?  If I lived 30 minutes from a gym I'd be hard pressed to go workout too. 

One thing I really want to get back into is tennis.  I played was captain of my team in high school but after that I stopped playing for the most part.  There were stints in college where I'd get a match going once a week but it never lasted more than 2 months at a time.  After college I've probably played... less than 15 matches since then.  I really do miss it but not having anyone around at my skill level (not great but not casual) sucks hard.  Oh man, I really miss the suicide drills too; so fun! 

Spidey: I wish I had people to hike with like that!  Everytime I go on one with a group it's a bunch of people who think they can make it at least 8 miles but 3 miles in with almost no elevation change everyone wants to turn around; lame!  I went to the Grand Canyon with the woman last year and we made it about 1.5-2 miles down before she said she wouldn't make the return trip... granted SHE was having knee issues at the time so I can't give her shit but still . :(

Come visit me in Socal sometime.  I'll take you on some incredible , gorgeous, and intense hikes around here. I don't have too many friends who can keep up with me on those type of hikes, just two buddies, and sometimes I go by myself. :) I know how you feel on those big groups. Happens to me if I go try to go hiking with any group really.  It's weird but I get MORE tired when going slow, guess due to the lactid acid buildup and then cooling off from slowing down too much. 

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 12:30pm
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Resare: 5'10. 

Spidey: If I can get to Cali without the woman in tow one day (harder than you'd imagine!) it's on.  She'd probably just bitch 2/3 of the hike :p

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 1:21pm

Amer
pew pew pew

After reading an article about it, I've been fasting. 

I'll eat from 12pm to 8pm only each day. 8 hours for eating, 16 hours for fasting. 

I've been trying to eat less during that time too and I've cut down most soda intake in favor of water. 

Down to 221 from 228 at the beginning of the year.  I admit I did Nike Kinect for a week in there, but with kids and our schedule, staying consistent with it has been a problem. 

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 3:39pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I run five miles a day (and I try to go every day in a week), try to eat healthfully for the most part, almost always eat breakfast and have a vegetarian diet.  I do not drink soda and drink very few beverages that have calories in them (though I do drink alcohol).

I'm not built to be very big to begin with but being athletic and taking care of myself keeps me healthy and in shape.  I am short and small and mostly muscular.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 4:33pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

Well, Crono, if you make it to NorCal, I'll play tennis with you. I'm in exactly the same boat - want to get back into the game, but have no one on my skill level to play with. It's very frustrating, because I just love playing tennis, and sucks that I can't. 

I just want to whack balls =(

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 4:42pm

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

I'm not totally out of shape, but could definitely be doing a lot better.  I tried getting into running at various points, but it never really stuck.  I get too bored, it's too hard to find a good place to run, etc etc.  A lot of BS of course, but yeah.

I was a lot more fit back when I used to go indoor rock climbing like a madman, but I got bored of al lthe gyms around OC.  Thankfully, there's a new gym opening up that'll be friggen awesome, but unfortunately there's still at least a few more months until that opens.

I feel for you all who want to play tennis more often, as I do to.  I'm on the flip side of Kelkel and Crono through, since I suck and need to find someone that sucks at my level lol.

Speaking of hiking, going on a Yosemite trip with my family this summer.  My dad wants to do the half-dome hike, so I definitely want to start training for that soon.  I'm definitely not at a level to keep up with you yet Spidey, but maybe this summer!

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 7:19pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I wish I was more coordinated for a sport.  I have always been clumsy as hell. 

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 7:29pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Eating less and doing more resulted in me loosing 21 pounds in 2012.

Hopefully eating a lot less and doing a lot more in 2013 will have a similar result.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 10:00pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

All you have to do to lose weight is to do cardio and watch your calories. In my experience, it really doesn't matter what you eat so much. Look up Body Mass Index to find out if you're overweight. One pound is 3,500 calories. A normal diet is 2,000 for males, 2,500 for females. But again, you have to exercise and get your heart rate up. Normally, a human needs at least 1,200 calories every day to just stay alive. Hope that helps someone.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 10:28pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

Coolsetzer said:

All you have to do to lose weight is to do cardio and watch your calories. In my experience, it really doesn't matter what you eat so much. Look up Body Mass Index to find out if you're overweight. One pound is 3,500 calories. A normal diet is 2,000 for males, 2,500 for females. But again, you have to exercise and get your heart rate up. Normally, a human needs at least 1,200 calories every day to just stay alive. Hope that helps someone.

I will disagree in that you can lose weight by only watching your calories; you don't need to introduce exercise at the same time.

I primarily choose to go the no exercise route, because I figured reducing calories while increasing my need for calories (exercise) would be too confusing for my body. So I figured I'd establish good eating habits first, and start exercising later.

I haven't actually exercised at all but I've got my BMI down to "ideal".

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 11:04pm
 (Edited on 02.06.2013 at 11:10pm)

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Ohh, Coolsetzer, I cannot eat 2000 calories a day, I would be a blimp, I'm supposed to lose weight on a 1300 calorie budget, which is not too hard if you eat at home, if you don't snack, if you don't do seconds, if your portions are small, if you aren't eating too many greasy foods (that includes healthy greasy foods like nuts and avocados), if you don't drink calorie bombs like many coffees and sodas, if you don't eat too many sweets at any time...you see where this is going; technically, a calorie is a calorie is a calorie and the deficit is what matter, no matter how it is created, and so yes, you are right, exercise is not technically needed to lose weight, but for many, many people, the deficit that comes with exercise, along with reducing their calorie intake is the only way they can do lose weight.

Ooops, I mixed up the last two entries, so part is answering Cool and part is to anser Vyers.

Jump to Post

02.06.2013 11:23pm
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Exercise helps with losing weight not only for the obvious reasons of calories out but consitent exercise can help speed up your resting metabolic rate (how many calories you burn when you're sleeping/sitting on your ass. 

Another of my random tips: reading books and doing math (or just general brain involved stuff) burns more calories than playing games and watching TV (TV being the WORST).  Your brain actually burns less calories while you watch tv versus sitting in a blank room doing nothing.  It's no significant figure per hour but if you watch 8 hours of tv a day it can be around a 100-150 calorie difference. 

Jump to Post

02.07.2013 12:44am

Vyers
Dark Adonis

I'm not gonna argue that exercise doesn't help with weight loss, because it does. I'm just saying it's not necessary.

I would say exercise is a necessary component of FITNESS, which isn't the same thing.

I'm thin now, but I'm certainly not fit.
I'd actually be happy to put ON some weight in the form of muscle, and have my BMI be exactly ideal.

Jump to Post

02.07.2013 12:45am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

So true about doing math or any critical thinking. I always am in better shape when I'm busy with class or learning new things. Heh.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 ... 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter