Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Fitness and Health

02.07.2013 4:07am

Ladile
Medic!

I opted for the Weight Watchers route since I personally need some semblance of a plan to follow and the whole counting points thing is a help.  This resulted in me cutting waaaay back on my soda, cutting back on bread, drinking more water, eating more fruits/veggies (I like them anyway, thankfully), and generally cutting down on portion sizes as well as watching little things like condiments (salad dressings, butter, etc.).  So far I've lost about 15-18 lbs :)

However, I don't exercise.  Aside from walking and swimming, I don't really enjoy much in the realm of physical activities/exercise.  I'd still like to try and do *something* to build a little muscle though; I just need to figure out what would work best for me.

Jump to Post

02.07.2013 4:23am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Vyers said:

I'm not gonna argue that exercise doesn't help with weight loss, because it does. I'm just saying it's not necessary.
I'm agreeing with you. :)

Jump to Post

02.07.2013 7:18pm
 (Edited on 02.08.2013 at 3:32am)

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

^I agree with Vyers an Mav. While I think exercise is better for you overall in the long run, it's not needed to just loose weight. My boyfriend's father lost weight by changing what he ate and how much he ate. He's lost nearly 100 lbs in a year (kinda scary how fast he lost all that weight actually..)! He really can't excercise due to bad knees and back, so portion control and cutting out foods high in sugar really helped him a lot. 

I'm by no means overweight, but I don't feel in shape. I'd love to start swimming again as it was my sport of choice while growing up and in high school. 

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 1:16am
 (Edited on 02.08.2013 at 2:12am)

resare
Exceptional narcissist

Coolsetzer said:

One pound is 3,500 calories. A normal diet is 2,000 for males, 2,500 for females.

The 1lb = 3500 calories thing is a real simplifcation. It's actually 1lb of fat, and even then it's not the best method to go by. You also got your numbers the wrong way round for calorie intake, and they're only average guidelines to maintain your current weight. You need more or less calories depending on your weight and lifestyle if you just want to stay the way you are.

if you want to lose weight then eat less, move more. No matter how hard you argue against it, it's the easiest and most effective way.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 4:11am

Old Juan
filled with hate

When it comes to losing weight. It's 80 to 85 percent diet with the rest relying on physical activity. A year and a half ago I lost 100 lbs and have been able to keep that weight off by simply watching what I eat and doing moderate amounts of exercise.

Also it really is all about the carbs and your insulin levels. Insulin for those who don't know is a hormone your body produces in order for you to process sugar. Insulin also serves another function, which is just as vital for those looking to drop the pounds, in that it actually triggers your bodies fat cells to release the stored fat to be used as energy.

What happens(for most people at least)is that when you consume a lot of foods that are high in starches/sugar your blood sugar shoots up and your body has to produce a lot of insulin to bring it back down to healthy levels. Over a long period of time this can cause weight gain because so much of your insulin is being wasted on keep your blood sugar that it's not doing it's other job, not only that but it can also cause the exact opposite to happen where your body is encouraged to store everyting as you eat as fat.

The most servere consequence of this sugar rollar coaster of coarse being that your body developes a resistence to insulin which usually ends up with one developing Diabetes.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 4:27am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

It's interesting that this shows up now since I started in December.
Well I use the uni's gym.
I take ~5 minutes cardio which can be the rower, elliptical, or stairmaster depending on what muscle group of the day it is.
I generally decide on what muscle groups to do on a whim, but I usually wind up doing legs and buttocks more often.
I'm trying to figure out my regime still. I'm trying this one method taken from Tumblr (4 sets with 6 reps high weight and next week 6x10 low weight) and the German Volume method (which is constantly doing low weights for 10 reps and 10 sets of those... plus I have to be sure to use the right tempo).
I've always taken a daily vitamin in the morning and now I take a protein shake with me to the gym and drink during/after the workout. Also Ive been eating more Peanut butter sandwiches (best with Cranberry Sauce).

I'm really scrawny, but since starting in late Dec I can feel the muscle tone forming under my skin. Also I used to never sweat at the gym, but now that is changing. :)

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 6:20pm

Zubis
Registered Member

For the past two weeks I've also been using MyFitnessPal to record what I eat, out of interest more than obsession really.

It's somewhat frightning what's in certain food!

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 6:27pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

I use LoseIt!, which is also very good. But yeah, once I actually started getting anal about measuring everything out, it's kinda frightening to see how much I used to overeat. 

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 6:29pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

In my opinion, exercise is the best way to lose weight. That's not to say that only cutting your calories won't help, but doing those 2 things together double your weight loss. Even just walking, instead of jogging or running, is great for your body.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 7:24pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Southern Comfort said:

I stay in shape* by eating whatever I want and never, ever exercising.

* "the shape" is round.

This, though my shape is "thin as a hat rack".

A few years ago I made a concerted effort to get to the gym, have a healthier diet and go from there. Unfortunately, a ton of health problems cut that effort short and persist to the point I can't workout.

My metabolism has made it all but impossible to gain weight, despite having an appetite than dwarfs most everyone I know. I grabbed a massive jug of protein powder to mix in with my drinks, but never really used it consistently. Oh, and I still smoke off and on (well, more on than off) but even when I've had long stretches of not smoking I haven't gained much weight.

I need to put on about 40lbs to be anywhere close to the ideal weight for my height, but the bigger issue is just deciding I want to put in the effort to do so.

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 7:25pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Big Tall said:

This, though my shape is "thin as a really short hat rack".

HOW DID YOU KNOW ABOUT ME?!

Jump to Post

02.08.2013 7:28pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I have a helluva vantage point to keep tabs on all you short buggers.

Jump to Post

02.13.2013 3:55am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Old Juan said:

Also it really is all about the carbs and your insulin levels. Insulin for those who don't know is a hormone your body produces in order for you to process sugar. Insulin also serves another function, which is just as vital for those looking to drop the pounds, in that it actually triggers your bodies fat cells to release the stored fat to be used as energy.

Actually, this is incorrect. 

Insulin is, at its core, an "anabolic" hormone and considered a growth-promoting hormone.  Its basic functions are to store energy in whatever forms necessary.  It up-regulates a glucose transporter (GLUT4) on particular cells in order for those cells to increase their glucose uptake (and therfore lower blood sugar after a meal).  It also promotes the rate-limiting step in fatty acid and complex lipid synthesis, meaning that it encourages the production of these molecules.  Also, by promoting this rate-limiting step, it subsequently blocks the breakdown of fatty acids (beta oxidation) because it's product, malonyl Co-A, blocks fatty acid entry into the part of the cell in which is is broken down (the mitochondrion).  By increasing the amount of fatty acids in the cell and bringing more glucose in (which is broken down into the backbone of triglycerides) it causes the production of more triglycerides and therefore increases the amount of fat in your body.  It also leads to glycogen synthesis (how glucose is stored) and protein synthesis.  It is a very build-up hormone.

You might be confusing insulin with glucagon, which is a catabolic hormone and acts in a sort of opposite fashion of insulin.  Glucagon encourages glycogen breakdown, increases gluconeogensis (production of more sugar), and breakdown of fats and a tiny amount of protein (at least as long as you're not starving).  The broken down fats are used as an energy source while blood glucose levels are low, such as in a fast (or perhaps dieting). 

I'm sorry I'm such a nerd for this stuff.  I got a near perfect score on that exam (and it was less than two weeks ago so it's all fresh -- I swear I could not get the idea of "malonyl CoA" out of my head at a basketball game a couple weeks ago!). 

Also on that exam was this little tidbit about weight loss.  Apparently the best ways to lose weight are diet alone, diet+exercise, and meal replacement strategies all lead to the most stable weight loss over time than other methods.  Some diet pills are good as well but they often cause such undesirable side effects that people don't want to take them for long.  Exercise alone wasn't terribly effective and a super low cal diet wasn't a stable way to lose.   I remember listening to a recording of this lecture, as funny as it might sound, during a five-mile run and thinking "hmmm, that's really weird, and kinda funny given what I'm doing right now."

To lose weight, it's really all about taking in less calories than you burn in a day, and making sure the calories you do take in are balanced. 

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.13.2013 8:41am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

^ As soon as I get rid of my cold, I'll read this, right now it's going over my head, but I find it interesting!.
I did read the term glucagon, I'd swear that was the name of the emergency glucose the doctor told my husband to get... or maybe it was glucagen?.
Anyway, thanks for sharing this.

Jump to Post

02.13.2013 8:13pm

Vyers
Dark Adonis

I forgot we had a doctor in the house.
I just read what you wrote MJ, and that is way outside my realm of comprehension, haha

MJ: if I laid out all my diet steps, and the reasons why I thought they worked, would you be willing to tell me where I'm wrong?
I don't need confirmation that it will work because I've already done it, and it did. I'd just like to know that I understand the science behind the steps.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter