Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger:The Fitness & Health Thread

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next >

08.12.2013 7:38pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 08.13.2013 at 5:00pm)

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Unless you're super passionate about fitness and absolutely love it as a hobby, I have no idea how anybody could fit that into their schedule.

I'm failing pretty hard at this. I only went to the gym once last week and I'm not motivated to go at all. It just feels like such a chore. The only thing that makes me want to go is not seeing that look of disapproval on my girlfriend's face when I tell her I'm not going to the gym today... AND my stupid bike is broken so I can't even get that benefit right now.

That said, maybe I'm seeing a bit of results? Slightly flatter abs? Increased energy, though not by much?

Ugh. I don't know what to do to keep myself motivated, other than telling myself I *should* go. I keep finding any excuse to not go, usually I'm too tired after work.

Zo said:

Usually what I've heard is that you want the movement out to be explosive ie. as hard as you can. It's the "reset" movement that should be slow.

So for example, you do chest press. From the lying position, push the weight up as you would normally, but as you complete the rep, bring the weight down slowly over 4 seconds. It makes the second movement as impactful as the first, explosive effort.

That makes a lot of sense, and seems a lot more natural.

Jump to Post

08.13.2013 2:41pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I used to be lazy, and then I just adjusted to having the gym as part of my daily routine. I don't think I necessarily enjoy it as much as I just accept it as something I have to do. 

Jump to Post

08.13.2013 5:03pm
Thread Creator

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

*sigh*  I guess that's me too.  Too bad my gaming consoles aren't integrated with my mobile phone to where I could tell it not to let me play videogames until I've gone to the gym or something. :D

Jump to Post

08.13.2013 5:28pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Heh.  Just be thankful you have your gf as motivation!  My husband gets pissed at me going to the gym - like who am I trying to impress or something :P.

I think you said you don't go in the mornings, right?  I think that's the best thing to do if you're having trouble following through.  Cause if you can manage to get yourself out of bed early, it's not like you're just going to sit around and NOT go.  And if you keep to a regular schedule your internal clock will adjust.  I've been pretty good at it the last couple weeks.  I'm up to 4 or 5 times a week now.

Jump to Post

08.13.2013 11:27pm

Zo
another blue ribbon

When I started logging my workouts I began to treat fitness as (and this is going to sound nerdy as hell) an RPG starring me. Go to the gym one week. Do as many bicep curls as you can. Go back next week, do a few more. Know you've had a stat increase. You can apply this to anything - strength gains, running distance, fat loss, you name it.  

It's surprisingly easy to manipulate yourself into enjoying things.

Fitocracy really helped. It's a workout tracker/social network that gives you points for each exercise you do and levels you up - it even has quests, which act as challenges or suggestions for new workouts. It's pretty cool, here's my profile. 

Jump to Post

08.14.2013 12:27am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Wow, that does look cool, I'll have to see what it is about. Thank you, Zo. :)

Jump to Post

08.14.2013 2:29am
 (Edited on 08.14.2013 at 2:57am)

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Ooooohhhh Awesome.... I'm making a profile now......

My only problem now is differentiating the squats (and all other excercises) they have listed compared to what I have been doing.....

EDIT: Also I told it I was male... it says I'm female now.

Jump to Post

08.14.2013 3:07am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yeah, it seems to be a bit wonky, I have problems loading a picture and saving routines... but I like it!.

Jump to Post

08.14.2013 11:07am

Zo
another blue ribbon

I think it's still in beta. Add me people!

Jump to Post

08.15.2013 2:04am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Okay, I assume following is adding/friending? that MarianaLucca folllowing you now is me. :)

I'm level 2, already; I leveled up when I decided to weight train last night just to see if I could level up, ha! and now I'm thinking about doing some of the easier challenges, it is a cool concept, yeah.

Jump to Post

08.15.2013 5:42am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I've just added/followed both of you... CruxCraft is the handle.

Apparently my usual Leg and Shoulder workout was enough to get to Level 5.... that makes me think it's too intensive.

Jump to Post

08.15.2013 6:17pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 08.15.2013 at 6:22pm)

kirbenvost
Give Life Back To Music

Zo said:

When I started logging my workouts I began to treat fitness as (and this is going to sound nerdy as hell) an RPG starring me. Go to the gym one week. Do as many bicep curls as you can. Go back next week, do a few more. Know you've had a stat increase. You can apply this to anything - strength gains, running distance, fat loss, you name it.

It's surprisingly easy to manipulate yourself into enjoying things.

Fitocracy really helped. It's a workout tracker/social network that gives you points for each exercise you do and levels you up - it even has quests, which act as challenges or suggestions for new workouts. It's pretty cool, here's my profile.

That...actually sounds really interesting. Hm. Thank you, this may help.

Colinp42 said:

Heh. Just be thankful you have your gf as motivation! My husband gets pissed at me going to the gym - like who am I trying to impress or something :P.

Haha yeah I guess I am lucky for that. Though it kind of bugs me that she's pushing me to do it. I guess I need to be pushed.

I think you said you don't go in the mornings, right? I think that's the best thing to do if you're having trouble following through. Cause if you can manage to get yourself out of bed early, it's not like you're just going to sit around and NOT go. And if you keep to a regular schedule your internal clock will adjust. I've been pretty good at it the last couple weeks. I'm up to 4 or 5 times a week now.

Ugh. Thanks, but I am really not a morning person. I already get up at 6:30 just to get to work by 8:30, so I don't think I could. If there's one thing I'd hate more than going to the gym after work, it's going first thing in the morning. XD

I'm definitely going to check out this Fitocracy thing though.

Jump to Post

08.15.2013 10:54pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I don't know if I'm having browser problems or what, but I can't do much in Fitocracy, I can't pick quests, or routines, they just don't have a heart or a check mark for me to click on and I can't load a picture even when I meet all requirements; either I have suddenly become very dense and I can't figure this site out or it is broken for me. I am sad. :(

Jump to Post

08.16.2013 1:51am

Zo
another blue ribbon

kirbenvost said:

Haha yeah I guess I am lucky for that. Though it kind of bugs me that she's pushing me to do it. I guess I need to be pushed. 

You have to find the enjoyment in it yourself. Going purely because someone else wants you to go is the easiest and quickest way to totally burn yourself out on it. For me, that came when I discovered the following things about myself:

a) I like setting myself challenges
b) I like looking buff
c) I'm actually not bad at lifting weights

But in order to discover these things I had to be dragged kicking and screaming to the gym a couple of times. By the time I had made a game out of it, and started noticing improvements, I was hooked. 

Jump to Post

08.16.2013 11:26am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

I forgot I had a fitocracy account. Maybe I should start exercising again, though, because I have been awful at takng care of myself lately.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter