Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger:The Fitness & Health Thread

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 Next >

09.25.2013 6:35am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I am angry at all of you right now because I've been ordered off my feet for a few weeks due to a severe bone bruise on my left foot. I took a clapper off the heel during some pickup hockey. A week before the season starts and I'm out. :(

Jump to Post

10.07.2013 10:51pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I just built a treadmill desk!  This should hopefully improve my ability to train while studying (at least to add muscle mass in addition to my runs). 

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

10.08.2013 7:52pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

^Okay, I'm really curious now, MJ! Can you post any pics so we can see what it looks like?

Well I'm officially in training again. I have a pt test with the national guard in a couple weeks, so I am trying to push it hard. My pushups and situps I have no problem with. It's the 2 mile run that has been messing me over. I ran it in 17:58 three weeks ago, which is plain awful. But I am trying to improve. I just started running again today because I had to take a couple weeks off. I pulled a muscle in my lower back while trying to lift a 400 lb trailer onto a hitch. I felt it pop and it was instant pain. It's been hurting like hell ever since, especially when I bend over to stretch. I can't even touch my toes anymore because it hurts too much. Stupid me... Anyway, I'm trying to bear with the pain. I have been trying to massage the muscle out, but it just won't budge. Can anyone give any advice on healing it myself, or should I just go to a professional to have it looked at?

Jump to Post

10.08.2013 9:01pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

If it's what I think it is one of my female friends just finished making hers today too... crazy. 

I've been playing a ton of tennis again lately.  I wish I had a partner more my level because now that my muscle memory is back I need someone more up to my leve.  Still fun though.  Shame I took such a long freaking break from it (7 years!)

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

10.10.2013 11:49pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Owowow, Coolsetzer get yourself to a doctor! bravely weathering injuries on your own when you don't know for sure what you are doing to help will only set you for a much longer recovery, seriously.

Jump to Post

10.11.2013 1:50pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Coolsetzer, are you taking any medication for it?  You need a combo of pain medication, stretching exercises, and heat and cold therapy.  Do you have access to a heating pad, a hot tub, or a nice sized cold pack?

Jump to Post

10.11.2013 4:57pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Sadly, I can't afford a doctor right now. I don't take meds because I don't like them. I've never tried h&c therapy, though. What's involved with that?

Jump to Post

10.15.2013 10:03pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Try to alternate with a heating pad/hot bath/hot tub/any way to get it warm with icing it down or using icy hot.  If you use it in conjunction with ibuprofen and acetaminophen (you can take both together, but don't exceed the max dose on either which for most adults is 2400mg ibuprofen per day and 3000mg acetaminophen per day, no matter what the bottle says) it should feel a bit better.  If you can't do a doctor, it's worth a shot.

And I know you don't like taking meds but they really do help some. 

I'd also look online for some stretching exercises.  Also, if you have any friends that can massage the fuck out of it, that always helps too.  I made my boyfriend (a former competitive runner at West Point) massage my calves like his former coach used to do.  It hurt like a bitch at the time, but it is feeling much better today, and I'll probably be back on it tomorrow.

Jump to Post

10.16.2013 4:15pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Thanks for the advice, MJ. My back has actually been feeling a lot better since I started running again. Combination of massage and stretch. I don't think I did any permanent damage. I will try Icy Hot as well.

Jump to Post

10.26.2013 12:40am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I've been doing this program from a book called You Are Your Own Gym; I've been sore ever since... second week, here we go!.

Jump to Post

10.26.2013 5:08pm

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

I feel like a wretch looking at this thread while having been out of shape for a few months now.  Trying to get back in the game has become hard because I tire easily.  Tips and encouragement?

Jump to Post

10.27.2013 3:11pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Start slow! Get your body used to working out again. After about a dozen days, start pushing yourself. Get an ipod and rock out to your favorite music. Fitness is a long term goal, so you won't see results right away. Give it a couple weeks, and you'll start to see that you'll feel better. The hardesr thing is just getting motivation and a routine. You can do it!

Jump to Post

10.27.2013 5:57pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Looking for some advice...about a year ago I busted my knee at Christmas. As it was Christmas I left it for a week until I saw a physio-therapist and he said with some exercises and a brace it should be fine. It was - I can walk 10, 20K easily on it.

But recently I wanted to try jogging and I can barely get 100m without being in a fair amount of pain. A work colleague says I have impact damage. Should I go back to the physio or go to a Doctor/surgeon first?

Jump to Post

10.28.2013 2:52pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Zubis said:

Looking for some advice...about a year ago I busted my knee at Christmas. As it was Christmas I left it for a week until I saw a physio-therapist and he said with some exercises and a brace it should be fine. It was - I can walk 10, 20K easily on it.

But recently I wanted to try jogging and I can barely get 100m without being in a fair amount of pain. A work colleague says I have impact damage. Should I go back to the physio or go to a Doctor/surgeon first?

Go to the doc.  Always good to make sure.

What kind of knee pain is it?

Jump to Post

10.29.2013 10:20pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Stinging pain near my knee cap. Also I loose all strength in my knee - feels like I'm gonna collapse.

Going to schedule in an appointment next week, we'll see how it goes.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 8 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter