Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

If you could have a historical figure over for dinner...

< Prev 1 2 Next >

09.14.2012 12:25am
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Who would it be, and why?

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 1:04am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Teddy Roosevelt, because he was a fucking badass.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 1:32am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'd love to pick Martin Luther King Jr's mind.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 2:11am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

George Carlin.  DUH.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 2:20am

Crisium
N/A

Maybe not for "dinner", but I'd like to have discussions with some of the world's great (or evil) conquerors.  That includes invoking Godwin's Law into this thread, but I would not give that man dinner and it would more be about curiosity to his plans.

Thomas Jefferson I'd invite to dinner.  Or invite to speak at the next State of the Union and remind people (and both parties) of what the US was really founded on.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 2:50am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Another guy I'd love to have a chat with over some fine wine (provided we could understand each other): Niccolo Machiavelli. I subscribe to the theory that The Prince was a work of satire and was meant to be a criticism of the Medici. I'd like to know the true intent behind it. Machiavelli was another brilliant man and I'd love to just hear his thoughts and philosophies.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 3:39am
Thread Creator

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I think The Prince is best taken at face value.  It is mistake to interpret Machiavelli through the lens of modern liberal morality.  I have actually never heard the satire thesis before; it sounds less plausible than the literal interpretation, but if true then Michiavelli had some brass!

As far as philosophers go, I would love to have dinner with John Stewart Mill.  The guy was just so far ahead of his time on so many issues.  He would have been considered a liberal by today's standards, and he lived in mid-19th Century Victorian England.  My last choice would be Socrates, because our food would get cold due to the incessant questioning of people's beliefs.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 4:43am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The reason I don't take The Prince at face value is because of his earlier works. Pre-Prince, Machiavelli was a proud, outspoken republican (as in, the Florentine Republic and the idea of republicanism; obviously not the American GOP). The Prince is a very drastic shift in tone.

Also doesn't help that the Medicis were fond of arresting and torturing him.

It's also been suggested that The Prince was a coded message to the Florentine populous of how to overthrow the Medici government should they get too big for their britches. I'm not sure how true that is, but it is interesting to note that The Prince was one of the first books published in the native Italian language instead of Latin.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 5:35am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

The real historical King Gilgamesh that the ancient Epic was based on, if only to show him how his memory is revered in the far future. But I guess after playing FFXII he'd probably slice the dinner table in two with a sword. :p

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 6:18am

Testament
Shamshot

Mozart. Good music and dick & fart jokes. What more do you need?

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 7:47am

Kal
yes

I am required by law and misplaced pride to say Napoleon.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 10:46am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Last time we had this thread, I chose Pliny the elder and or Hapshetsut (the only female pharaoh), now, I suppose I'll say some culinary historical figure, like Careme or Escoffier; they can teach me a few tricks and cook the dinner we'll be having.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 11:55am

Fifan
The guy with the girly avatar

Looks like someone discovered Cracked.com

I want to have dinner with Jesus Christ, to truely meet the real man. Plus maybe he really can turn water into wine.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 12:07pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Either Ben Franklin, Marie Curie, or Albert Einstein.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

09.14.2012 1:43pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I spent a lot of time thinking about this until it struck me:
Neil fucking Armstrong, without question.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter