Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

International travel

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

02.01.2012 1:37am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

So as of right now I will be traveling outside the country for the first time am curious about what to expect. So if any of you have done international travel let me know your experinces.

For the record ill be going to Finland.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 1:58am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Nice!.
I haven't traveled in a while now, but what I would say is: expect to be tired and jet-lagged once you arrive; I know it's an obvious thing to say, but many people think they are impervious to it. They are not.

Also, don't be one of those that is afraid of trying any new thing abroad and stays within Starbucks and McDonalds, pretty please?.

Have fun and take pictures.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:15am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Yeah I when I flew back from AZ to TN had the worst jet lag I can imagin what TN to Finland would be like.

hell on the way back one of the flight has me leaving out at 7am that morning and landing back in TN at 7am the same morning. That wild to me. XD

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:42am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I don't think there are any major diseases that are easy to catch out of Finland, but you might want to check to be safe and be vaccinated if you must.  Be sure to bring extra things like tylenol, ibuprofen, hygiene items, etc.  Also, if the food you eat is drastically different from what you're used to, be prepared to have your digestive system need a few days of adjustment.  This is true for anywhere, because cooking styles, spice loads, access to clean environments, etc. is different ANYWHERE.  Also, if the cuisine is different from what you're gut flora is used to, it'll have to readjust, simple as that.

That being said, don't you dare eat only comfortable American food while you're there -- you'll regret it.  Unless you're a vegetarian, and then it might be tough to find things to eat.  I don't know much about Scandinavian cuisine but I imagine everywhere in the world has its own dietary idiosyncrasies.  Keep in mind that American things like restaurants, entertainment, alcohol, etc. will seem more expensive because they are -- they're imports.  I was in Mexico a few weeks back chaperoning a school trip and the college students were shocked at how expensive Miller Lite was, and how cheap Mexican beers were.  We just reminded them to think about what is now the import :)

I think Finland has mandatory English in school so communication shouldn't be too much of a problem if you don't speak Finnish.

Also, I am jealous of you.  I would love to hit up a Scandinavian nation.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 3:58am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Ill actually have somone with me most of the time who lives there and speaks english, im acutally going to visit her. XD

I love trying new foods so there is no way I would go to an american restaurant. XD

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:19am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Have fun in Finland.  I hope it isn't too cold for you.

Typically, everybody else has given you good advice, so don't waste it.

As for me, i'll be going to Aruba this year.  It'll be my second time going there.

There's a possiblity that I'll be going ot Italy next year, but nothing is set in stone yet.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:27am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I love the cold. This hot winter is about to drive me insane.

Its fucking January and im sitting in my room in shorts only.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 12:17pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Break a law!

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 2:09pm

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

I went to the Bahamas back in december, but I'm not sure that really counts. When I got off the boat in Nassau no one checked anything, and to get back on they just needed an ID. I didn't even have to get a passport. I assume Finland, having an economy not completely reliant on US tourism, will likely give more of a shit.

Jump to Post

02.01.2012 5:51pm
 (Edited on 02.01.2012 at 6:00pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I travel every year. Here's a bunch of random tips you may or may not know-

-Just because you have an address does not mean you'll know where a place is. Addresses can be completely non sensical in other countries, with no order and no rhyme or reason. If you have a smart phone, my suggestion is to pre-cache maps into google maps, it's a nice handy map you'll always have.

-Turn roaming and data off on your phone! Unless you a have a plan in set for international data/calls.

-Call your credit card companies to let them know you could be using your card in finland. otherwise they might assume ID theft and cancel it at a very bad time

-Vehicles may have the right of way rather than pedestrians in most countries, be extra careful walking in streets, nobody is going to stop for you

-Paying for cabs - check to see if you should ask for a set price or ask for the meter. One or the other is usually MUCH better in any given city and you'll want to do your research so you don't get ripped off.

-Do what everyone here is saying and try all the local dishes. Split your time/appetite between restaurants and street food.

-Pack light, you can always buy clothes while you are there if you need 'em. If going longer than 2 weeks know you can always do your laundry there.

-Do stuff even when you aren't in the mood for it, this is important. you'll get in the mood once you are going and active.

-Mind the gap between car and train (lol)

-Your passport is your third arm. ALWAYS carry it. When you sleep have it next to you.

most of all have fun and bring us back some pictures to see your fun travels CC!!!

Also know international airports can be weird. Sometimes you gotta go through security  between terminals, sometimes to enter an airport.  If you've never been to a given airport in another country, arrive 2-3 hours earlier than your departure time.

What MJ said about your digestive system adjusting is super spot on.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 3:34pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

What Spidey said about the cell phones and credit cards is a big deal.  I didn't have an issue with my cards but I did have a few nasty foreign transaction fees.  I managed to call my cell phone company in the layover while still on US soil and got a cheap international data plan (50mb) and a small international text plan (200 messages) for while I was there.  I set my phone to where it had to manually check email rather than automatically.  This way I could text if needed to and I was able to check my email and use a translator app if I had to.  It was worth it.

My friend that went with me filled a suitcase with only shirts, socks, underwear, etc. he bought at Wal-mart.  His suitcase was rather small as he only brought two pairs of pants and a pair of shorts (because who really needs a new pair daily?) and shirts and socks don't take up much room.  He also brought a cheap laundry bag with him and put his dirty cheap clothes in that.  At the end, he put his souvenirs in his suitcase first, and whatever clothes would fit went in.  He left the laundry bag with whatever wouldn't fit at the end, and he wasn't attached to it because it was cheapie stuff anyway.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 5:11pm

Genome
Haha, got my username!

You're going to Finland. The dullest part of Scandinavia. Which is the most organized part of Europe. You need to think about roaming charges and having your travel papers and credit cards in order. You don't need to bring special hygiene products or stuff like that.

Have fun. It's freezing over here right now, so you might die from the cold.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 5:15pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Genome is still alive? Holy fuck.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 6:52pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Genome said:

You're going to Finland. The dullest part of Scandinavia. Which is the most organized part of Europe. You need to think about roaming charges and having your travel papers and credit cards in order. You don't need to bring special hygiene products or stuff like that.

Have fun. It's freezing over here right now, so you might die from the cold.

Yeah my friend was telling me you guys are getting slammed with cold air. She couldnt even make it to class because the busses wouldnt start up from the cold. XD

I need to deal with credit cards before I go, but im cool on roaming charges. My base phone is CDMA only anyways. My work phone is a world phone which I will proably just get an SIM card from a company online to use over there. There rates are very nice.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 9:24pm

Zubis
Registered Member

If you're travelling on your own at the airport, don't be an idiot. No jokes, don't bring anything even remotely suspicious, etc.

Also, you bastard. Scandinavian women ;)

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 5 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter