Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

International travel

02.02.2012 10:29pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Uh, yeah! packing light it's a must, also, if you think you are going to buy a lot of stuff, do pack an empty duffel bag or two in your suitcase.

What MJ says about the digestive system is so true, too; people tend to think that you might only get sick in hot places and with street food, due to, well, the temperature, but every time I go to my own country after not visitng for a while, the first two days I get  sick, even if I go in the middle of the winter and I only have my own family's food.

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 11:22pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Clowd I keep thinking you are Rain, and wondering why Rain is posting so sweetly

Jump to Post

02.02.2012 11:51pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Spidey said:

Clowd I keep thinking you are Rain, and wondering why Rain is posting so sweetly

:D

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.03.2012 1:31pm

Genome
Haha, got my username!

Murasame said:

Genome is still alive? Holy fuck.
I'll comment on your Ron Paul-post on Facebook now to prove that I've been alive all this time!

Jump to Post

02.03.2012 2:13pm

Blayze
Registered Member

Finally decided to pull my finger out and sign up here, after spending a couple of months lurking in the shadows.

Anyways, always surprises me a bit that travelling abroad is seen as as something out of the ordinary in America, probably one of the biggest differences between there and the UK, as I'd wager that the majority of people here travel abroad annually.

Onto advice, I'd say you couldn't have picked a safer place than Finland for your first trip. From my experiences with Scandinavians (never been to Finland but been to Denmark and knew a couple of Swedes at uni), they all speak scarily good English. Puts the broken French and German that Brits can speak a little to shame when a lot of our neighbours speak fluent English from a fairly young age.

I hope you're not a vegetarian, because I think that the Scandinavian diet is pretty meat and fish heavy (incidentally if you live near one in the UK, I recommend hitting up a KRO restaurant, great Danish food). Perhaps steer clear of the rollmops, or whatever the Finnish equivalent of pickled fish is though, as it's a bit of an acquired taste! Oh, and drink lots of vodka.

Turn up at airports 3 hours before boarding time, and as Finland is in the European Union, and USA is obviously not, you should be able to snag things like cigarettes, spirits, jewellery and fragrances VERY cheap on the return journey duty-free. At least that's how things work when flying to and from the UK (a EU country) to non-EU countrys, I assume the laws are similar though that might be worth checking out. I know my parents brought back around £120 of branded spirits on the trip home from Turkey for around £40, which helped make Christmas rather merrier!

Jump to Post

02.03.2012 4:16pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Blayze said:
Onto advice, I'd say you couldn't have picked a safer place than Finland for your first trip. From my experiences with Scandinavians (never been to Finland but been to Denmark and knew a couple of Swedes at uni), they all speak scarily good English. Puts the broken French and German that Brits can speak a little to shame when a lot of our neighbours speak fluent English from a fairly young age.

That's probably down to the fact that children in Europe are taught English almost along side their own language, while at least when I was going through school, British children don't start learning a foriegn language until secondry school (11/12 years old onwards. I think that's changed fairly recently now though, so hopefully my daughter will be very good at a chosen second language.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

02.03.2012 8:17pm

Zubis
Registered Member

Blayze said:

Anyways, always surprises me a bit that travelling abroad is seen as as something out of the ordinary in America, probably one of the biggest differences between there and the UK, as I'd wager that the majority of people here travel abroad annually.

To be fair in Europe you've got at least 10 countries within 1000 miles travelling distance. In the U.S you've got what, Mexico Cuba and Canada as your closest neighbours?

Jump to Post

02.03.2012 10:30pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

About 5 years ago I had no understanding of why people would travel so much. Now it's my favorite hobby. It's basically a real life rpg. exactly that. some places even have random encounters

Jump to Post

02.04.2012 3:39am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Spidey said:

some places even have random encounters

We're talking about sex here, right?

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

02.04.2012 3:47am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I was actually talking about random people who go up to you, try to sell you shit, stop you from moving forward until you can figure out a way to fend them off. It was a literal comparison, where you are literally fighting off human obstacles that appear out of nowhere to get to where you try to go. Haha.

But the sex comparison is pretty good too

Jump to Post

02.04.2012 6:44am

Murasame
HALE YEAH

Zubis said:

To be fair in Europe you've got at least 10 countries within 1000 miles travelling distance. In the U.S you've got what, Mexico Cuba and Canada as your closest neighbours?

You forget Australia, which is close to literally nothing. And yet international travel is a rite of passage for anyone in this country.

Jump to Post

02.06.2012 7:15pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Europeans travel to North America and South America as much as they to do to other counties in Europe, I don't think its the distance

Jump to Post

02.06.2012 8:00pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

Spidey said:

Europeans travel to North America and South America as much as they to do to other counties in Europe, I don't think its the distance

I think it's a combination of the distance, the size, the culture of the place (the US doesn't have as much foreign language immersion as it should), and access.  In the US, you have this GIGANTIC country with so many different environments and places to see, different types of cities, habitats, all sorts of adventures.  Each individual state may not have so many different environments (with the exception of California), but if you think about the sheer number and variety of things to do/see/experience in the US it's baffling, and much of it has to do with how expansive the country is.  Most of the European countries, from what I understand, aren't nearly as environmentally varied.  There's so much history there, and they have different environments from one place to another, but I don't think you can go to anywhere in Europe that has near the environmental and cultural variety that the US does.  This isn't meant to slight Europe at all (I want to go to a TON of places in Europe, and SOON), and Europe definitely has the edge as far as history goes, but it can't match the US for the sheer amount of stuff.  Please correct me if I'm wrong here.

This on top of the fact that foreign language education is shamefully unimportant in the States, most areas of the US aren't geographically close to another country, and it's become a pain in the ass to engage in international travel (cost, passports, visas, travel advisories, customs, etc) compared to travel with the US.  This makes international travel prohibitive and not part of the typical US citizen culture.  Travel within the US, however, is a big deal.  

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 12:15am

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

Not to mention, international travel is too expensive for most Americans. Which is why I don't travel internationally. I've always wanted to, though. Makes me sad that I have never been able to.

Although, my biggest fear of traveling out of the country would be acclimating to the food. My stomach hates me eating food here. I can only  imagine how it would be overseas. :/

Jump to Post

02.07.2012 12:56am
 (Edited on 02.07.2012 at 1:02am)

Zubis
Registered Member

It's become a pain in the ass to engage in international travel (cost, passports, visas, travel advisories, customs, etc) compared to travel with the US

That goes both ways by the way, entering the US isn't exactly a pleasant experience. I'm surprised people here haven't travelled much; I always thought we were a worldly bunch but there's frankly a lot of odd preconceptions in this thread.

Travel when you're young and you can. It's not the same doing a package tour as a 45 year old with two kids in tow.

Oh, one recommendation? Keep your voice down. Americans have a reputation for being loud oversea. This is not a mark on your character merely an observation.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter