Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Libya's Muammar Gaddafi 'killed'

10.20.2011 3:38pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 10.20.2011 at 6:04pm)

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Source - BBC News

Libya's ex-leader Col Muammar Gaddafi has been killed after an assault on his home town of Sirte, officials from the transitional authorities have said.
Information Minister Mahmoud Shammam said fighters had told him they had seen Col Gaddafi's body, and other officials also said he was dead.
The claims have not yet been independently verified, and other reports said he was captured alive.
The colonel was toppled in August after 42 years in power.The International Criminal Court has been seeking his arrest.
Nato, which has been running a bombing campaign in Libya for months, said it had carried out an air strike earlier on Thursday that hit two pro-Gaddafi vehicles near Sirte.
It was unclear whether the strikes were connected with the reports of Col Gaddafi's death.The head of the National Transitional Council (NTC) Mustafa Abdul Jalil is expected to give a national TV address on Thursday. Mr Shammam said the NTC leader would officially confirm Col Gaddafi's death.
"He was killed in an attack by the fighters. There is footage of that," he said.
Grainy video footage has been circulating among NTC fighters appearing to show Col Gaddafi's corpse.
AFP news agency reported that the video showed a large number of NTC fighters yelling in chaotic scenes around a khaki-clad body, which has blood oozing from the face and neck.
Another NTC official, Abdel Hafez Ghoga, told AFP: "We announce to the world that Gaddafi has been killed at the hands of the revolution. "It is an historic moment. It is the end of tyranny and dictatorship. Gaddafi has met his fate.
"An NTC fighter told the BBC he found Col Gaddafi hiding in a hole in Sirte, and the former leader begged him not to shoot. The fighter showed reporters a golden pistol he said he had taken from Col Gaddafi.
Arabic TV channels showed images of troops surrounding two large drainage pipes where the reporters said Col Gaddafi was found. NTC supporters gathered in towns and cities to celebrate the reports of the colonel's death.
Groups of young men fired guns in the air, and drivers honked horns in celebration.
His apparent death came after weeks of fierce fighting for Sirte, one of the last remaining pockets of resistance.

So what do you think of this? Will it help to settle Libya now that he is gone?

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 4:38pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

It might help ease things up as they don't have a central figure anymore, but only time will tell.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 5:02pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

As long as the National Transition Council holds true to its word, which it has thus far with NATO and the UN, this is great news. If the NTC changes their tune now that they don't need the extra military help quite as much, this may not change much. Still, for now I'd say this is great news for the region.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 5:06pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'm really glad that the Libyans were the ones to capture/kill him and not us. I wish they had given him a proper trial, but some people are just too dangerous to leave alive. Gaddafi is one of them.

Now I just hope the people of Libya get a just and fair government now that they no longer have a common foe.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 6:01pm

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Well he was armed (with a golden gun), albeit he was in a large pipe.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 6:30pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

A golden gun? So Gaddafi is Scaramanga?

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 7:21pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

I would rather that Gadaffi received justice for the atrocities that he's committed, but I'm shedding no tears over the dead bastard.

One of those rare times that I wish hell existed.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 11:38pm

Demon
Registered Member

judge_raz said:

I would rather that Gadaffi received justice for the atrocities that he's committed, but I'm shedding no tears over the dead bastard.

One of those rare times that I wish hell existed.

You forgot where we are again, didn't you? :P

OT: Gaddaffi's death is an end to a chapter in the Arab Spring, but whether it's alsxo a new beginning is yet to be determined.

Jump to Post

10.21.2011 5:58am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I think it's likely to open some doors. There's no longer a boogey man to hunt after and only nation building and bridges to erect.

Jump to Post

10.21.2011 11:48pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I know a lot of people believe he shouldn't have been executed so he could be held accountable for his crimes and that fair trial crap but in my honest opinion/belief it was in the best interests of their country that he died. Not only because I doubt that he would receive a fair trial,  that he was an extremely dangerous person, but because his trial would become the focus in a country that should be rebuilding. The country should be devoted to that and not have the process overshadowed by that whole pony show.

Jump to Post

10.22.2011 10:05am

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

It was interesting hearing some of the audio of Mikhail Gorbachev speaking in Montreal yesterday. He said NATO used too much force to oust Gaddafi and such heavy firepower will only extend the crisis. In the time since Gaddafi's capture/death I've started to see things more or less the same way. There are more than 140 tribes in Libya, and the ones involved in the fighting aren't just going to lay down their arms now that he's gone; not to mention the ones fighting FOR Gaddafi through this entire ordeal.

While it's more or less obvious Gaddafi would not have been ousted without the amount of force that was used, the NTC is just a figurehead until there are democratic elections...which if the country is declared liberated (should happen today) is 6-8 months off.

Also, one thing that seems to have emerged more and more in the past few days, and something I find fascinating, is the elevated status women in Libya had under Gaddafi's regime. He wasn't exactly popular with other Arab countries for it and a number of the rebel tribes despised him for it. They were given marriage rights, the right to end a marriage, as well as quite a bit of a push educationally as well. If nothing else, here's hoping the NTC doesn't try and turn back the clock on that.

Jump to Post

10.23.2011 5:11pm

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I don't condone any kind of killing whatsoever, and so I refuse to celebrate it.  However, I can acknowledge when it might have occurred and might provide closure and relief to people (aka I can be opposed to the death penalty in principle, but understand why it might be the only thing that brings comfort to a grieving family).

Like Bin Laden's death, this might be one of those cases.  I hope his death provides closusre to the Libyan people and to the world, otherwise it might have been in vain.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

10.24.2011 5:16am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

Good riddance. 

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter