Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Margaret Thatcher Dies

< Prev 1 2 Next >

04.08.2013 2:15pm
Thread Creator

Jaran
I'm going to try SCIENCE!

Britain torn on whether to mourn or celebrate

Luckily in britian these two things look exactly the same.

Also, somewhere, Alan Moore is cackling with victory

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 2:25pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

To be honest, I couldn't care less. Call me when someone does this country a favour and massacres the current government. Bunch of lying, useless c***s.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 5:22pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

I get that a lot of people didn't like her but, openly celebrating the death of a doddering senile old woman who didn't know her arse from her elbow and was frequently in ill health, seems to me to just make a person look like a bit of a cunt.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 6:14pm

Zubis
Registered Member

As an Irish person I'm supposed to shout from the rooftop that the witch is dead, but I never paid attention to the news when I was younger so I never understood why she was hated so much.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 6:14pm

Sam Biscuits
Custard Creams

Don't think people are celebrating, just not ready to forget what she did to destroy communities.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 6:29pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Oh, and as to why one might celebrate the fact she croaked, could have something to do with her war against the poor and labor unions in her country, her support of Chilean fascist dictator Pinochet, calling Nelson Mandela a terrorist and supporting South African apartheid, ramping up military attacks against Catholics in Northern Ireland, etc., etc.

She was basically Ronald Reagan with a vagina and an English accent. Good riddance to bad rubbish.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 6:51pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Sam Biscuits said:

Don't think people are celebrating, just not ready to forget what she did to destroy communities.
Oh there are totally a big bunch of people celebrating.

And Rhaegar, yes, but none of those things are changed in any way today now that she has died.  She got through all that and long a lived a long happy life (after being voted into power by the public not one, twice or even three, but four times, mind).  If she was a villain then it was Mrs fucking Keyser Sozé, because she strolled off into the sunset the winner.  So celebrations aren't just dickish, they're also pretty fucking stupid.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 6:59pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Most people are stupid and easily duped. That's why she was elected four times. Well, that and she was decisive, which people like in a leader, regardless of how fucking horrible her policies actually were â?? although people who don't even have leadership qualities of that sort get elected by stupid and easily duped people multiple times (look at the U.S. and The Shrub for an example there).

I'm also all about letting people screwed over by an evil politician's deeds have their symbolic catharsis, not to mention as a counter to all these politically correct idiots mourning her and trying to silence those who dare speak ill of the dead OMG!11!11! So sue me.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 7:54pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

The Hulk said:

Oh there are totally a big bunch of people celebrating.

And Rhaegar, yes, but none of those things are changed in any way today now that she has died.  She got through all that and long a lived a long happy life (after being voted into power by the public not one, twice or even three, but four times, mind).  If she was a villain then it was Mrs fucking Keyser Sozé, because she strolled off into the sunset the winner.  So celebrations aren't just dickish, they're also pretty fucking stupid.

Getting dementia is not a long and happy life. I'm too young to have really known her policies, and I know she fucked over many, but dementia is a terribly cruel way to die, and for that she has my sympathy. But that doesn't undue all the damage she's done either.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 7:57pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Well the reasons she was elected four times weren't really my point so much as just the fact she was elected four times.  She totally stormed it and overall won the game big time.

(and I'm not exactly proposing that the people celebrating should not be, just passing fair comment that they come across as stupid pricks for doing so)

edit: ^yeah that seems contradictory of me to say "long happy life" while also citing her going senile, but I was speaking in generalities, afaik that is more of a (relatively) recent development.

Jump to Post

04.08.2013 8:03pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I am mostly apathetic to her dying. Though I don't wish her cause of death on anyone.

I also thought she was dead already.

Jump to Post

04.09.2013 12:44am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

i'm still pissed rooney mara didn't win best actress

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

04.09.2013 3:04pm

judge_raz
Ceci n'est pas une lobster

Warning: I'm about to compare democratically elected Western leaders to murderous despots and serial killers. If you do not want to read anything like that, this is your opportunity to stop. Consider this my attempt at self censorship. Besides, I haven't written anything really vitriolic on this forum in a loooooong time.

First of all, Margaret Thatcher is dead, so she doesn't matter anymore. Her thoughts and feelings (such as she had them when she was alive) are nonexistant. This whole 'we can't speak ill of the dead' thing has never made an ounce of sense to me, so I don't pay it much credence. I don't think we owe the dead anything except for the truth, and the truth is that she was an awful human being, and I'm glad she's dead.

I find it striking that, when we discuss people's deaths who have literally harmed other human beings, we allow ourselves to be as vicious as we possibly can be. During the beginning of the sentencing hearing for James Holmes there was no lack of people screaming for his blood, liberal and conservative alike. Same with Saddam Hussein and Muammar Qaddafi. But you know, the truth of the matter is that Ronald Reagan, Margaret Thatcher and George W. Bush have (all three of them separately as well as combined) ruined far more people's lives than Qaddafi or Hussein to say nothing of any serial killer. Their absolutely callous disregard for their fellow human beings and their willingness to let people rot in hospitals (if they could even get into a hospital), the streets or in the battle fields is easily the match of Hussein and Qaddafi's atrocities.

More than that, there are millions of people who revere Thatcher and Reagan, while Qaddafi and Hussein's legacies are basically kaput. There are apologists all over the world who will cry foul if you even consider saying one word about the saints of the extreme right. "Maggie may have called Mandela a terrorist and may have been a supporter of Pinochet and Apartheid, but she shook Mandela's hand afterward!" or, "Ronnie may have supplied weapons to the Iranians and provided training for Osama Bin Ladin while he flat out ignored the AIDS crisis, but he made us feel good about being Americans again!" Their legacies, and the damage that they have done to not just their respective countries, but to the entire world, will go on far into the future. We're not finished with Thatcher, and I can't imagine a day that we will.

She'll be well regarded, defended and apologized for well into the future. She'll be loved and adored and sainted, just like Ronnie is. And all the while, the children, grandchildren and descendents of those whose lives were ruined by Thatcher and Reagan will never know what their lives had been like if a sociopath wasn't elected into major office. Yes, they weren't mercilessly murdered, but their futures certainly were. So, to that, I say: fuck you, Maggie. Your death came far too soon, but I'm certainly not sad for it. I'm sorry that there isn't a hell, because you and Ronnie definitely deserve to be there right now.

"Of Christ's twelve Apostles Judas alone proved to be traitor. But if he had acquired power, he would have represented the other eleven Apostles as traitors, and also all the lesser Apostles whom Luke numbers as seventy." - Leon Trotsky

I have a blog. This is its URL. You should read it. It's about education and skepticism and books and it has a lot of pictures of Batman and Robin in it: https://baldermoon.wordpress.com/

Jump to Post

04.09.2013 8:07pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

I watched a documentary on Thatcher once. It seemed she was trying very hard to emulate Winston Churchill.
Could a Brit say that she was very similar to Reagan due to them being in power around the same time period?

Jump to Post

04.10.2013 12:49pm

Ulterior
Registered Member

Id82 said:

I watched a documentary on Thatcher once. It seemed she was trying very hard to emulate Winston Churchill.
Could a Brit say that she was very similar to Reagan due to them being in power around the same time period?
Not just he same time period, but also very similar ideologies and policies. Reagan is America's Thatcher and Thatcher is the UK's Reagan, right down to the left-right split of being considered a saint versus a disaster.

I love you, everything burrito.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter