Final Fantasy Society

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search


Final Fantasy Society Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Qwikster



< Prev 1 2 3 Next >


0
 09.19.2011 5:01pm
Thread Creator

Pac
The Social Assassin



So, it seems that Netflix is splitting into two sites, one for DVD and video games by mail, and one for streaming. The streaming site will carry the Netflix brand, while the physical disc site is going to be called "Qwikster".

So... did anyone have a problem with the way the original Netflix site did things? Is this neccessary? Should I be outraged and write and angry letter to my state representative? TELL ME HOW TO FEEL, INTERNET!




 Jump to Post







0
 09.19.2011 5:07pm


Crux
A mental Dentist's office



Lol I don't understand. They change their pricing structure, more customers leave than they expected, so they split the company's services?

Isnt that "changing the pricing structure" and taking it one further?




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 5:12pm
Thread Creator

Pac
The Social Assassin



People searching for a site to buy syrupy chocolate milk are going to be in for a awful surprise.

If Netflix so badly wants out of the physical DVD game, why not just man up and admit it? Making the process even more confusing and annoying isn't going to convince people that streaming is the way o the future, it just loses customers.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 5:21pm


CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court



The only reason I see why they plan to split like this is to make ti easy to phase one thing out over the other. And this isn't something that they can do on a whim. These types of things take time and money to start up, so likely they've planned this for quite some time.

Though I don't get the whole split myself, really, unless they're looking at in for compeitions sake, especially with other streaming services are up.

Another theory is that the company split is for securing the streaming licenses faster. Netflix has been slow to get them, but they've been getting faster. Of course, they can only go as fast as the providers provide (and really, it's their fault), so that's another possiblity.

Still, as somebody who will drop their DVD part of the subscription and keeping the streaming part, it means little to me.

Though apparently, the "new" company will offer video game rentals. Obviously to compete with Gamefly, but it could be bad news for them.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 6:32pm


amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.



<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/117">CaButler</a> said:</span>

The only reason I see why they plan to split like this is to make ti easy to phase one thing out over the other. And this isn't something that they can do on a whim. These types of things take time and money to start up, so likely they've planned this for quite some time.

Though I don't get the whole split myself, really, unless they're looking at in for compeitions sake, especially with other streaming services are up.

Another theory is that the company split is for securing the streaming licenses faster. Netflix has been slow to get them, but they've been getting faster. Of course, they can only go as fast as the providers provide (and really, it's their fault), so that's another possiblity.

Still, as somebody who will drop their DVD part of the subscription and keeping the streaming part, it means little to me.

Though apparently, the "new" company will offer video game rentals. Obviously to compete with Gamefly, but it could be bad news for them.
I've read a couple articles that theorize exactly what you said: This will make it easier for them to phase out DVD shipments in the future as they see NETFLIX as a streaming company going forward.

I've been with Netflix for a LONG time (2002-ish), so this doesn't put me into RAAAAAGEEEEE mode, but if they don't start re-stocking DVD's I'm going to switch over to Blockbuster.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 9:02pm


Spidey
So Sigh Ety



They are going to be offering video games as part of Qwikster, so to me this is actually a better deal than what they had before!! I dropped my DVD part of the subscription as soon as I heard the news (I rarely use it anyway) so it's actually a great deal for me to get movie streaming + video game rentals for their monthly fee.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 9:15pm


Fincher
Deep Water Horizon



<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/67">Spidey</a> said:</span>

They are going to be offering video games as part of Qwikster, so to me this is actually a better deal than what they had before!! I dropped my DVD part of the subscription as soon as I heard the news (I rarely use it anyway) so it's actually a great deal for me to get movie streaming + video game rentals for their monthly fee.

Um, the video games will be part of Quikster's DVD rental, not Netflix's streaming.

I was already planning on DVD-only, so this won't change much for me.



Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist





 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 9:25pm
Thread Creator

Pac
The Social Assassin



We also don't know how much the video game add on cost is going to be. Could be a hefty price increase.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 10:18pm


amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.



<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/77">Pac</a> said:</span>

We also don't know how much the video game add on cost is going to be. Could be a hefty price increase.
They did say that they were done with price changes, so who really knows.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 10:47pm


Amer
pew pew pew



I would imagine if you are one disc at a time, it's exactly that. Either one dvd/blu-ray or one video game. With the split and price increase, maybe there is no extra cost for blu-ray and it's just one blu-ray or dvd or video game.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.19.2011 11:49pm


Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!



I dropped my account for new TV seasons since I won't be able to watch a lot of movies but I was planning to go to DVD only in December.

I like that they are getting on board with games but who knows what the rates will be.



Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.20.2011 1:20am


Fincher
Deep Water Horizon



<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/14">Amer</a> said:</span>

I would imagine if you are one disc at a time, it's exactly that. Either one dvd/blu-ray or one video game. With the split and price increase, maybe there is no extra cost for blu-ray and it's just one blu-ray or dvd or video game.

The guy who announced Qwikster said it would be a video game upgrade, like the Blu-Ray upgrade. So it will cost more, but it's not clear how much.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.20.2011 7:51am


Arckanghel
Pirate.



Dumbest idea ever. If it's just a branding thing, just plain stupid. If it's a whole spin-off, the bargaining chiop Netflix used to be able to use to get more streaming options by delaying DVD rentals coming to mail is gone. Idiot move in response to consumer backlash. They should have just re-examined what caused the losses and adjust back.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.20.2011 5:32pm


CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court



<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/19">Arckanghel</a> said:</span>

Dumbest idea ever. If it's just a branding thing, just plain stupid. If it's a whole spin-off, the bargaining chiop Netflix used to be able to use to get more streaming options by delaying DVD rentals coming to mail is gone. Idiot move in response to consumer backlash. They should have just re-examined what caused the losses and adjust back.
Like I mentioned before, I highly doubt the rebranding has anything to do with consumer backlash, as it does take time to set up a new company, even if it's a spinoff. I think this was planned since the first annoucement a few months back.




 Jump to Post



0
 09.21.2011 2:37am


Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator



The only thing that REALLY annoys me about this is that discs on my disk cue won't automatically get added to my instant cue. Other than that it's just a matter of one more button click.



Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11




 Jump to Post









< Prev 1 2 3 Next >



Jump to

Go




© Copyright 2013 Final Fantasy Society, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter