Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

School Loan forgiveness.

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next >

09.18.2011 8:59pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/55">Id82</a> said:</span>

Health insurance is needed if there's an emergency. Getting into an accident, a sudden freak sickness comes about if you need to go to a hospital and you don't have insurace they won't take care of you. If you get a sudden freak sickness its not like you can call insurance companies up to cover you because they won't. They don't want to give you insurance if you're sick. Not until 2014 when obama's health plan goes into full effect, and insurance companies can't deny you anymore.
You legally cannot be denied treatment based on (in)ability to pay.

<a href="https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00001395--dd000-.html";>https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/42/usc_sec_42_00001395--dd000-.html<;/a>

Jump to Post

09.18.2011 10:45pm

Sei'taer
lost

As some one who's payed back close to 10k of money over the last ten years, I think the loan system is working just fine. And if you happen to take a class or two at a local college, it's really easy to defer them. I was able to defer my stafford loans until perkins loans were payed off. I had no problem doing this, and if I did it's not hard to get them defered indefinatly due to economic hardship, at least it wasn't 3-4 years ago.

I think the problem here isn't really the loans themselves, or how easy they are to get, but the bloated cost of higher education.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 1:03am

Sanna
What a Tedious fight!

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/38">amaron</a> said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">Sanna said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">Darth Howie said:</span>

Some of you people seem to be living in some kind of time warp where hard work pays off 100% of the time like some kind of inerrant mathematical equation. That's not the way the world works. Some people worked their asses off to earn professional degrees like Law, Education and Medicine only to find that the industry they worked so hard to break into is not creating jobs. So what do you do? You take whatever job you can while continuing to knock on the door of the field you tried to enter. Except no amount of high grades or glowing recommendations will make jobs appear out of the ether. So you go to work in sales, in retail, in whatever is available, even though you are making virtually no money compared to your supposed earning potential. Now you are working a job that barely allows you to pay your bills and then, on top of that, you run out of forebearances on your student loans and you have to start paying down the interest if only to keep them in check, while waiting for the economy to improve and for jobs to start opening up. Meanwhile governors declare war on educators and law firms start outsourcing document review projects to India. People like this have been FUCKED by the system that exacted a price and then didn't live up to its end of the bargain. Before you make such severe allegations, find some proof that people struggling with student debt are just sucking at the public teat. I'm so fucking sick of people attacking people who struggle and blame them instead of the causes of their struggles. Blaming the victim will only earn resentment. The Protestant Work Ethic is a fucking lie.
The truth, it's all in this paragraph. I work two retail jobs and I have no choice but to live at home with my parents because I can't even earn enough money to save, much less barely pay my bills. --One of them is my stupidly expenisve health insurance which is $178 a month that doesn't include eye or dental. Just regular doctors visits. Health insurance is a fucking racket, if you ask me. But that's for another thread-- Granted I only have two assciate degress, but you'd think with some sort of education I could find a job that would pay me higher than $7.25 an hour, right? No, not so much. So, yeah, if people with masters degrees are having trouble find decent work (One of my friends had to move out of state just to find a job in her field, pretty sad), what hope is there for me? And I'm hesitant to go back into school in fear of being in debit forever and having no hope for my sad excuse for a life.

Free health care and education is sounding pretty damn good to me at the moment.
There's plenty of hope, if you have any type of skill at all.

I've finished two community college classes, never taken a SAT test, but since I know AutoCAD I've had a job since I was in High School in 1996.

But, to be honest, you really might need to leave NC if you want to actually make money. Your cost of living is low, so you'll never be paid anything more than what the company can legally get away with paying you.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why bother with health insurance if you're healthy? Most if not all doctors charge a whole lot less than $178 for each visit. I wish I could go without and save the $780 a month I pay for it.
I'm not that healthy. I have GERD. I take nexium daily. I have poor eye sight and I need three wisdom teeth surgically removed, but I'm putting that off since they don't cause me pain and I can't afford to pay for that out of pocket.

I don't exactly want to move out of state, but I definitely want to move out of my town. But I'm kinda stuck if I can't find a job that would pay me high enough to save up. :|

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 1:09am

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I'll be honest, I think the whole thing is a racket, top to bottom. From the shittiness of American secondary education, to the horrible expense and loan sharking of tertiary education, to employers wanting degrees just to thin out the field of candidates. The whole fucking mess. If you can't walk out of your high school graduation with the proper skills to immediately get a job earning a lower middle class wage with included healthcare, the system is irrepairably broken. Tertiary education is supposed to be optional, dammit!

We could be living in a utopia right now if people weren't so goddamned shortsighted and greedy, and built institutions that enshrined shortsightedness and greed. It's a flaw in the human race, and why I'm ready to call it quits with humanity.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 1:36am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/17">Southern Comfort</a> said:</span>

We could be living in a utopia right now if people weren't so goddamned shortsighted and greedy, and built institutions that enshrined shortsightedness and greed. It's a flaw in the human race, and why I'm ready to call it quits with humanity.
I seriously believe the only way to save America is for a major revolution to take place. By that, I mean the civlians take up arms and overthrow the government like our constituion was designed to allow. Unfortunately, we let our government grow too large and now we can't do that.

Americans are too hopelessly stupid, tied up into Jesus, and ridiculously lazy. These three things are what have allowed the greed to fester and destroy our freedom and our economy. Every single US citizen should be pissed off that the TSA exists, angry that we're in two bullshit wars, upset that our economy is in the toilet and not a single person responsible for it has been brought to justice, and disappointed that our president is unsurprisingly full of shit and hasn't done half the shit he promised he'd do.

Instead, we have people who hate our president only because he's black, don't really give a fuck about the TSA, still think our wars were a good idea because "sand niggers are evil," and have little regard for the economy because they're too fucking stupid to know how it even works. Let's not forget the fact that the majority of this country elects unqualified buffoons to run shit not because of their ideas, but because they relate to their religous drivel.

Rick Perry still thinks Jesus is the answer to saving our country and it's frightening how many people agree. Does he have a plan to save the economy? Any ideas on how to get us out of the middle east? Shit, no. But who gives a fuck if Perry has a plan or a brain? He has Jesus and that's good enough for most!

This country needs to be fucking wiped clean, our two-party government dismantled and rebuilt into a sensible and fair business organization (When you succeed, you prosper. When you fail, you get fucking fired), our tax code thinned to the most basic and simple definitions, and most of our idiotic laws thrown out the window. A free society should be able to do whatever the hell it wants so long as it doesn't harm another person. This country is not free, is not number one, and is not united in any way.

There are many wonderful things about the United States, but in this day and age of misinformation, utter hypocrisy, and horrendous amounts of bullshit, I'm embarassed to be an American.

Anyway, didn't mean to derail this thread.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 2:48am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/27">Sanna</a> said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">amaron said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">Sanna said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">Darth Howie said:</span>

Some of you people seem to be living in some kind of time warp where hard work pays off 100% of the time like some kind of inerrant mathematical equation. That's not the way the world works. Some people worked their asses off to earn professional degrees like Law, Education and Medicine only to find that the industry they worked so hard to break into is not creating jobs. So what do you do? You take whatever job you can while continuing to knock on the door of the field you tried to enter. Except no amount of high grades or glowing recommendations will make jobs appear out of the ether. So you go to work in sales, in retail, in whatever is available, even though you are making virtually no money compared to your supposed earning potential. Now you are working a job that barely allows you to pay your bills and then, on top of that, you run out of forebearances on your student loans and you have to start paying down the interest if only to keep them in check, while waiting for the economy to improve and for jobs to start opening up. Meanwhile governors declare war on educators and law firms start outsourcing document review projects to India. People like this have been FUCKED by the system that exacted a price and then didn't live up to its end of the bargain. Before you make such severe allegations, find some proof that people struggling with student debt are just sucking at the public teat. I'm so fucking sick of people attacking people who struggle and blame them instead of the causes of their struggles. Blaming the victim will only earn resentment. The Protestant Work Ethic is a fucking lie.
The truth, it's all in this paragraph. I work two retail jobs and I have no choice but to live at home with my parents because I can't even earn enough money to save, much less barely pay my bills. --One of them is my stupidly expenisve health insurance which is $178 a month that doesn't include eye or dental. Just regular doctors visits. Health insurance is a fucking racket, if you ask me. But that's for another thread-- Granted I only have two assciate degress, but you'd think with some sort of education I could find a job that would pay me higher than $7.25 an hour, right? No, not so much. So, yeah, if people with masters degrees are having trouble find decent work (One of my friends had to move out of state just to find a job in her field, pretty sad), what hope is there for me? And I'm hesitant to go back into school in fear of being in debit forever and having no hope for my sad excuse for a life.

Free health care and education is sounding pretty damn good to me at the moment.
There's plenty of hope, if you have any type of skill at all.

I've finished two community college classes, never taken a SAT test, but since I know AutoCAD I've had a job since I was in High School in 1996.

But, to be honest, you really might need to leave NC if you want to actually make money. Your cost of living is low, so you'll never be paid anything more than what the company can legally get away with paying you.

I'm not trying to be a dick, but why bother with health insurance if you're healthy? Most if not all doctors charge a whole lot less than $178 for each visit. I wish I could go without and save the $780 a month I pay for it.
I'm not that healthy. I have GERD. I take nexium daily. I have poor eye sight and I need three wisdom teeth surgically removed, but I'm putting that off since they don't cause me pain and I can't afford to pay for that out of pocket.

I don't exactly want to move out of state, but I definitely want to move out of my town. But I'm kinda stuck if I can't find a job that would pay me high enough to save up. :|
I understand, I was just curious as to where you were coming from. Sorry if I came off wrong.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 3:06am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Dh: The reason that the Presdient can't really do much that he wanted is that Congress is blocking him, only because he's a democrat working with a republican controlled congress.

But I do agree about the war thing, but to play devil's advocate slightly, it is pretty hard to pull out of the nations we're in without leaving them with something stable to work with.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 3:55am

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/117">CaButler</a> said:</span>

Dh: The reason that the Presdient can't really do much that he wanted is that Congress is blocking him, only because he's a democrat working with a republican controlled congress.

But I do agree about the war thing, but to play devil's advocate slightly, it is pretty hard to pull out of the nations we're in without leaving them with something stable to work with.
I have to call bullshit on that. He had two years with a House majority and a Senate majority that was only a single vote short of being filibuster-proof.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 4:09am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

And the Senate minority did everything they could to exploit that fillibuster.

Plus not every Democrat, even in the 2008-2010 House, was a bleeding heart liberal. Often times the president had to fight members of his own party who sold out their souls and constituents to corporate money, like Bob Nelson, Max Baucus, Kent Conrad, etc. The whole health care debacle was mostly fought against centrist/conservative Democrats who made it much worse than it ideally should've been. Of course, the drug and insurance industry loves it.

The biggest problem with America right now is that the government is completely in the pockets of massive conglomerates. The Democrats try to pretend to be working for the common good while taking their money under the table, and the Republicans are outright open about their loyalties to corporations and the rich and not the majority of American people (especially those tea party wackjobs). I'm much more worried about this country turning into a corporate meritocracy or plutocracy than a theocracy. The religous right, while still annoyingly prevalent, has at least lost a lot of influence compared to the 80's and 90's. Yeah, it's scary that there are people out there who seriously don't think evolution exists and that the world (and the unvierse, indeed) is only about 6000 years old when there's tons of evidence and proof to the contrary. But these people are surely going the way of the dodo. There's always going to be fringe nuts, but these people are at least just a very vocal minority even among religous folk.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 4:40am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/1">Dh</a> said:</span>

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;">Southern Comfort said:</span>

I seriously believe the only way to save America is for a major revolution to take place. By that, I mean the civlians take up arms and overthrow the government like our constituion was designed to allow.
I totally agree. That aren't many countries that have managed to go this long with major revolutionary change either by peaceful force or violent force. We used to change with the times with a quickness that made us the envy of the world. We lost that and started to move too slow and get too bogged down in our own system and neglect it's intent and use.
<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/69">Murasame</a> said:</span>

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but from what I've read, the government loans aren't particularly useful if you want to buy books n' shiz, merely pay tuition. It's the private loans that everyone goes for, because they're easy to get, and the money isn't purely for tuition. As a result &gt;&gt;&gt;&gt;&gt; number of private loans than government loans. Right? Am I reading the situation right?
The opposite really. Government has mostly replaced private loans at most institutions and private loans are a completely different industry in the last few years. So long as you're headed for an institution with middle of the road or lower tuition, you can usually borrow without any credit check the whole cost of your education including expenses.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 5:30am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/59">Monetary Dragon</a> said:</span>

Magicjewel, some thoughts, many of which are only loosely related to loan forgiveness:

Why do you think that medical school is so expensive? I work at one, and I can&rsquo;t really figure it out. The students are taught by MDs and PhDs (for the first couple years at least, before they start clinical rotations, which themselves seem like they should be inexpensive outside of insurance issues), not unlike any normal college. I can&rsquo;t really understand the disparity.
Because it is. To educate a medical profession is HIGHLY expensive and subsidized. The actual cost of delivering a sound clinical education is pretty expensive and subsidized for in-state students (which is why out-of-state students pay so much -- they make up the difference). For private schools, there is little subsidy involved because they don't have an incentive to keep in-state students in-state. If you consider the combined salary of the individuals doing the teaching, insurance issues, the cost of running the hospital and the school, the teaching and lab equipment, etc. the cost runs quickly to the $50K range, and this does not include living expenses. A medical education costs easily $250K, though people who go in-state pay considerably less.

I was pres of my school's graduate student body for a few years and sat on the university's budget advisory committee, so I got a good look at those books. It costs a lot, and 85% of all medical students require financial aid in the form of loans to make it.

Are you MD/PhD? At my institution, the MD/PhD students do not pay tuition for medical school. And why do you want to do both clinical practice and research? I know that it is technically possible to do both, as I&rsquo;ve met a tiny handful of people who either do or probably will be able to do it, but as a whole I feel like the MD/PhD &lsquo;idea&rsquo; is some sort of trick, that you only have one life to live, and that you should figure out what you want to do with that one life you have. Being a good physician and a good scientist are almost mutually exclusive (the exceptions being the phenomenal genius perfect people).
What you are discussing is the MTSP, which is not available at all schools. I am getting both degrees, but I did not start them at the same time (The decision to pick up the MD wasn't made until I was partway through the PhD), therefore I do not fall under MTSP standards. I am also applying out the ass for other aid and scholarship things just as I have throughout the years, but it would be absolutely foolish of me to bank my financial situation on something that has not occured yet.

And I am pretty certain that I can and will do all three (teaching, clinical, and research), as that is what I have been doing thus far since I followed a non-traditional path. The goal is ultimately to be a Dean, but I want to be able to do all three first. This is probably why I have insomnia, but I wouldn't give up any of it for a second.

A medical student working in my lab tells me that half of the people in her class will graduate with no debt. The implication, of course, is that *many* (if not most) of the current crop of medical students come from very rich backgrounds. This is unfortunate, since something like getting an MD should be merit-based and not decided by social class. But that might simply be, unfortunately, the way it is. (And the fact that many of the students are independently wealthy only helps boost medical school costs, because the students can afford it, helping perpetuate the cycle).
My parents are farmers and qualified for public assistance until I was 10. Thus there was never any savings for a college fund. They are of upper middle-class means now but not until I was a late teen/early adult, and even then they believe I should pay for it and do it myself, even if that means taking out the loans, because I chose to pursue graduate education. I have solely gotten by off the fact that I am bright, work hard, and take any challege. Unfortunately, high IQ does not translate to low tuition.

After college I had to decide between microbiology and philosophy and I chose microbiology in large part due to financial/employment considerations. You sort of need to be independently wealthy to go into philosophy as a career.
There are definitely plenty of things a philosophy major can do, not all of which (but most) do require graduate training.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 7:30pm

Kellios
Yikes and away!

<span style="color: #008080;">Oh yay I get to come into this discussion very late!</span>

<span style="color: #008080;">I'm in favor of student loan forgiveness, but I also say that 50k-60k in debt. And it's not the government loans that I'm troubled with, it's the private loans. I have absolutely no issue paying back all of my government loans (which comes around to 10k) because they are human beings in terms of their interest rates, deferment/forbearance plans, and are willing to work with you if you're in a spot of trouble (because who hasn't been in this economy).</span>

<span style="color: #008080;">The private loans on the other hand are absolutely ruthless. This give absolutely no leadway, the interest rates are amazingly high, and they aren't human in terms of their policies, which they look at in very, very black and white terms and won't budge an inch or a way regardless.</span>

<span style="color: #008080;">I took out all of my loans before everything crashed in 2008 (took out my last loan a week before the shit hit the fan). I also received scholarships, I worked numerous jobs AND interned on top of all of my schoolwork, and I still had to take out private loans to help cover what all that and the government loans couldn't cover. Yes, I went to a 40k/year school, but I also had no other choice in my field. I needed a facility with the most current equipment, professors who were familiar with it, and a community that encourages the sort of creativity I got. After seeing the local community college's set up; there was just no comparison. So I sucked it up, and took out the loans to do it.</span>

<span style="color: #008080;">I'm now two years out of school, and I'm paying my loans. It's over $600 a month in total. That's a great amount of money I could be spending on many other things. </span>

<span style="color: #008080;">While I would love complete forgiveness, I know it won't happen. But I know so many of my friends and colleagues who got sucked into the whole loan thing, and because the shape of jobs right now, are getting utterly fucked over by the private loan banks. So I say make interest rates next to nil. Have student loans be able to go through bankruptcy. Rewrite the policies for private loans. Forgive them if you work in the public sector/non-profit field for x many of years. Maybe even more tax breaks for those with loans (I know you can now with some of the interest, but it's still a fuzzy area for me) to help - like someone mentioned, the help when buying a new house. </span>

<span style="color: #008080;">I know I'm so very lucky where I've managed to grab a job in the field I want, doing exactly what I want. So many people I know aren't, and they are being paid significantly less. I'm barely floating above water with what I'm paid now, and a lot of it is because of my loans. </span>

<span style="color: #008080;">So yeah, I know. I took out the loans, I need to pay them. Fine, I can agree with that. But don't tell me that while violating me with my pants on. That's just insult to injury. </span>

<span style="color: #008080;">And a lot of the LOLmedia wonders why people our age (mid 20s to early 30s) are later in marriage, buying a house and having kids. We're actually being responsible about it simply because we can't afford it.</span>

<span style="color: #008080;">/rant.</span>

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 8:44pm
 (Edited on 09.19.2011 at 9:00pm)

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/100">Darth Howie</a> said:</span>

Did you completely ignore my post? It would solve this entirely without forgiving anybody.

Set all Student Loan interest to 0%

Delay the first payment 10 years

If you can't find a job now, like you explained it could be the economy whether you worked hard or not. if you can't find a good one by 10 years, you are the problem not the economy. Start paying it off in 10 years, not now, and everyone is satisfied.

Crisium picked up on this, and one other person addressed it...
<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/48">Call</a> said:</span>

Deferment until your education starts earning its keep? I believe even this idea to be flawed. Many graduates go into fields where there is little to no earning potential. What if they graduate, figure out that their $100,000 liberal arts degree (no offense meant to anyone) isn't going to earn them untold riches, and decide that they're just never going to pay their loans back? I have a journalism degree, and only after I took a job outside that discipline was I able to effectively pay off my loans.
If you went into a field that there was no earning potential an took out a loan without the intention of paying it back, don't take this the wrong way to anyone it applies to, but you deserve whatever mess you are in. Student loan forgiveness is aimed at the idea of helping people who had the intention and liklihood of paying their loans back, but due to unforseen circumstances (economy went real sour) are unable to pay them, and we're just helping them out because it wasn't something they could not help when they agreed to pay the loan off. See MJ's situation or what Howie mentioned. This is why I support eliminating interest and deferring first payment 10 years. People in those situations will be able to get back on their feet by 10 years. But if you were never going to be able to pay the loan off in the first place no matter how the economy was going to go , I don't see why you should be entitled to not pay the loan. You made an agreement to pay it off. The people in the former group are still paying it off, you are just helping them out by removing impedement (interest) and giving them time to recover from a situation they could not help (no jobs, bad economy).

If in 10 years you can't start paying off your loan which would be forgived of all interest, then you are the problem, not the economy.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 10:07pm

Call
Firefightin' Administrator
Administrator

One thing I haven't seen mentioned...what happens to the economy when all the money disbursed for student loans is simply wiped away? We would all take a terrible loss when the economy crashed and burned. You know, more than it already has.

Jump to Post

09.19.2011 10:22pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Bring the private loan companies in line, reduce interest rates, and/or bring higher education costs in line and I wouldn't be as pro-loan forgiveness. The government loans, I think, are mostly reasonable. But the private loans are a freakin' racket and I'm glad that my family worked their tails off and handled their finances well that I didn't have to take a single one of those. The scholarships I got also helped. We're not exactly rich either.

Deferring payment for government loans with the intention of paying them back I think would be perfectly fair. The private loan companies can tank for all I care.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 3 4 5 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter