Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Science is Awesome: Warp Drive Edition

09.19.2012 7:27pm
Thread Creator

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

The warp drive could become science fact!

A warp drive to achieve faster-than-light travel -- a concept popularized in television's Star Trek -- may not be as unrealistic as once thought, scientists say.

A warp drive would manipulate space-time itself to move a starship, taking advantage of a loophole in the laws of physics that prevent anything from moving faster than light. A concept for a real-life warp drive was suggested in 1994 by Mexican physicist Miguel Alcubierre, however subsequent calculations found that such a device would require prohibitive amounts of energy.

Now physicists say that adjustments can be made to the proposed warp drive that would enable it to run on significantly less energy, potentially bringing the idea back from the realm of science fiction into science.

"There is hope," Harold "Sonny" White of NASA's Johnson Space Center said Friday (Sept. 14) at the 100 Year Starship Symposium, a meeting to discuss the challenges of interstellar spaceflight.

Warping Spacetime

An Alcubierre warp drive would involve a football-shape spacecraft attached to a large ring encircling it. This ring, potentially made of exotic matter, would cause space-time to warp around the starship, creating a region of contracted space in front of it and expanded space behind.

Meanwhile, the starship itself would stay inside a bubble of flat space-time that wasn't being warped at all.

"Everything within space is restricted by the speed of light," explained Richard Obousy, president of Icarus Interstellar, a non-profit group of scientists and engineers devoted to pursuing interstellar spaceflight. "But the really cool thing is space-time, the fabric of space, is not limited by the speed of light."

With this concept, the spacecraft would be able to achieve an effective speed of about 10 times the speed of light, all without breaking the cosmic speed limit.

The only problem is, previous studies estimated the warp drive would require a minimum amount of energy about equal to the mass-energy of the planet Jupiter.

But recently White calculated what would happen if the shape of the ring encircling the spacecraft was adjusted into more of a rounded donut, as opposed to a flat ring. He found in that case, the warp drive could be powered by a mass about the size of a spacecraft like the Voyager 1 probe NASA launched in 1977.

Furthermore, if the intensity of the space warps can be oscillated over time, the energy required is reduced even more, White found.

"The findings I presented today change it from impractical to plausible and worth further investigation," White told SPACE.com. "The additional energy reduction realized by oscillating the bubble intensity is an interesting conjecture that we will enjoy looking at in the lab."

Laboratory Tests

White and his colleagues have begun experimenting with a mini version of the warp drive in their laboratory.

They set up what they call the White-Juday Warp Field Interferometer at the Johnson Space Center, essentially creating a laser interferometer that instigates micro versions of space-time warps.

"We're trying to see if we can generate a very tiny instance of this in a tabletop experiment, to try to perturb space-time by one part in 10 million," White said.

He called the project a "humble experiment" compared to what would be needed for a real warp drive, but said it represents a promising first step.

And other scientists stressed that even outlandish-sounding ideas, such as the warp drive, need to be considered if humanity is serious about traveling to other stars.

"If we're ever going to become a true spacefaring civilization, we're going to have to think outside the box a little bit, were going to have to be a little bit audacious," Obousy said.

So...yeah. Amazing. I really have nothing further to add but that.

Jump to Post

09.19.2012 7:56pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

We should also check out the Prothean Ruins on Mars.

But the idea of this being science fact, even if it's just a faint possibility, is freakin amazing.

Jump to Post

09.19.2012 7:59pm
Thread Creator

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

I love the "experimenting with a mini version of the warp drive in their laboratory" part, how it comes across more like "yeah, we do this when we're bored" rather than "LOOK AT THIS COOL THING!!", which is what I'd do.

Jump to Post

09.19.2012 8:11pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

They're going to create a black hole that will kill us all.

Jump to Post

09.20.2012 2:00am

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

I'd really like to know, how it will warp space?
Or what sort of Exotic material are they talking about?
And Previously, how does Exotic material warp space?
How does a ring make it shrink space in front of the craft?
What would the projected energy consumption be like; more energy to start the process or is there going to be a constant drain on the generator?
Is it a Electro magnetic reaction that will cause it?
Would this process impede the thruster that would push the ship forward?
Or would it be better without a rocket engine running at the time?

Jump to Post

09.20.2012 4:12am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

To quote one of my favorite lines ever from the Simpsons:

"The answer to that, and all of your other questions, is a wizard did."

Jump to Post

09.20.2012 7:26am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

That's all sorts of awesome.

Jump to Post

09.20.2012 8:46am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

I read about this some time ago, and while interesting, the comical reliance on, "Exotic Matter," seems a bit...hopeful.  Like, "Oh, we'll just find something in the future that warps space!"

The mass requirement, going from something as obviously unattainable as, "The mass of Jupiter," to, "The mass of a spacecraft," certainly is promising.

Is it wrong that I want to hope for this in our lifetime?

Jump to Post

09.20.2012 10:10am

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

I read about the Alcubierre drive ages ago on Wikipedia, and while it's definetely promising, until it's shown as an actual working prototype and rather than just speculative calculations by a few rouge scientists (is it just me, but the fact that article didn't even address the spokesperson for that group as a doctor suggests he isn't even a qualified scientist?), I wouldn't hold my breath waiting for a ticket on a  warp-drive equipped spacecraft to the stars anytime soon (or even within our lifetime probably).

Given the fact that NASA's budget has been consistantly cut over the years, I doubt even further this will ever come to fruition for at least another 50-100 years. Besides, interstellar space propulsion isn't really the issue (that is, outside the Earth's atmosphere) - it's the lift-off/exit/entry phase from the Earth's surface which is the big problem. And until we develop stable, effective and most of all, inexpensive, anti-gravity technology, expect to continue to see spacecraft still using old style rocket propulsion for a long time yet.

Jump to Post

10.22.2012 2:51am

LB
Necromancer of Winning

Hm hum la ho hum. Me thinks this is spinning off of the rodin coil balogna. Butttt mayyybe....

Toroidal coils are very interesting. Mostly used to control radio frequency. United states has them on top of big antennae at the corners of the continental united states. What they are describing can be seen on youtube with a search about rodin coils. Pure madmen, I know because I am one. I disassembled my coil long ago in lew of having a purpose in designing it. All I can see this design doing is causing complete peace of vibration at the center of the coil or fusion. Much like my off the wall thing I said manji about the spherical toroid. Would a laser shoot out from all that energy being focused? 

You can do some crazy thigns with magnets though doing this. Very efficient motors. Our motors are already pretty efficient. 

The dillemma I see of travelling through space is creating thrust. They use tiny tiny tiny particle emissions to thrust deep space space craft. Solar panels collect tiny charged particles. Electrons gather onto lead poles in a batter that can then be shot out again as light. Alternating current allows it to travel in wave through space rather than a line drive through whatever is in its way. Altering the wave can achevieve patters and being in the core of such a device would be improbable at they very least...oh yes I went there again. The answer is 42. But relative to what?

So in the core of this device that is accelerating at the rate of a parabola that approaches infinity but never reaches it we have some issues. 

Remove all resistance and power is to the 3rd power or something like that. Create an electromagnetic tube out the back of the doughnut to shoot the particles through it and voila. 

I just don't get induction as much as I think I thought I should. 

Edit: No resistance and a sling shot might prove fun. 

Jump to Post

10.23.2012 5:42am

Magicjewel
Dr. Fantabulous
Administrator

I think this sounds more like folding space than it does mass effect drives.  Perhaps we need some melange to create a navigator or two?

Still, pretty awesome though.

"Well, your brain seems to work a little bit." -- Rune Walsh, Phantasy Star IV.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter