Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Scientists measure Neutrinos to go faster than lightspeed

09.28.2011 1:22pm

OrionHardy
Otherworld

The other possiblity mentioned was that the particle didn't travel faster than the speed of light. It just took a short cut through another dimension extra to the 3 that we are aware of. If we learned how to take those shortcuts, space travel wouldn't take very long at all.

Great men aren't everywhere, just where it counts.

If you ever see me online playing Halo, join me please.

Jump to Post

09.28.2011 4:49pm

maximus asinus
Registered Member

We would become... <span class="commentBody" data-jsid="text">Sliiiiiiderrsssssss</span>

Jump to Post

09.28.2011 8:36pm
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Not saying that this is confirmed, but lets say it gets confirmed, it doesn't have anything to do with time travel. If relativity is wrong about the speed of light being the fastest thing, then it could also be wrong about going faster than the speed of light to go back in time. For all you know, you'd have to go faster than a neutrino to go back in time. It would break down that entire set of rules, and going faster than light = time travel is part of the special/general theory of relativity's set of rules.

Jump to Post

09.28.2011 9:09pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Ok well lets say its true and there is something faster than light. How exactly do we harness that kind of power into an engine?

Jump to Post

09.28.2011 11:31pm

LB
Necromancer of Winning

It's not so much about harnessing it. As Spidey was saying, this proves very little. What it Does is disproves everything. If Einstein is wrong about E=mc squared, then what we thought we knew is in the trash and anything is posible again.

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 3:23am

scnix
scnix.com

So basically, if this disproves Einstein's theory, then we'll be back to the drawing board and our scientists today can go nuts with new theories, which we'll then try to prove/disprove again?

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 4:28am

Monetary Dragon
Just keep swimming

And whenever anything new is proposed we can all freak out and start imagining time travel.

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 7:26am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

This is awesome, but it's still Quantum Entanglement and the communication between the pairs that makes me wonder what information we're missing.

Jump to Post

09.29.2011 7:32pm
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I wouldn't say relativity would be trash. Afterall Newtonian mechanic still work in most cases; ie, almost everything that happens on earth, despite relativity. it just means relativity could be a smaller subset of the real laws of physics.

Jump to Post

09.30.2011 3:00pm

grey_haven
Formerly known as 'Trekster'

So can we make a more powerful weapon out of this?

Jump to Post

09.30.2011 8:38pm
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Too early to make that call. Like everyone is stressing, they haven't really even proved this to be true at all. If it were true we still don't know enough about it to decide if it could be used as a weapon or not.

Jump to Post

10.01.2011 12:20am

OrionHardy
Otherworld

Typical Americans. This could be the greatest scientific discovery in decades and all you can thing about is how you can turn it into a weapon.

Jump to Post

10.01.2011 7:43am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

[quote=23]Typical Americans. This could be the greatest scientific discovery in decades and all you can thing about is how you can turn it into a weapon.
Actually, it didn't even occur to me. The same thing happened to poor Nobel. Spent the rest of his life clarifying he didn't mean it to be used that way.

Jump to Post

10.01.2011 8:17pm

Kal
yes

[quote=67]Not saying that this is confirmed, but lets say it gets confirmed, it doesn't have anything to do with time travel. If relativity is wrong about the speed of light being the fastest thing, then it could also be wrong about going faster than the speed of light to go back in time. For all you know, you'd have to go faster than a neutrino to go back in time. It would break down that entire set of rules, and going faster than light = time travel is part of the special/general theory of relativity's set of rules.I thought that theory had somewhat been "proven" by putting clocks on jets and demonstrating that the faster the jet went the slower the time inside the jet, and therefore on the clock, passed ? I'm oversimplifying the experiment but I remember reading about something like that.

Jump to Post

10.08.2011 9:07am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

Unsurprisingly, this could very easily turn out to have been a false alarm.

http://cosmiclog.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2011/10/07/8211350-neutrinos-spark-wild-scientific-leaps

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter