Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Scientists measure Neutrinos to go faster than lightspeed

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

10.08.2011 10:57am

LB
Necromancer of Winning

Perhaps, the speed of light is a constant, yet cannot be measured in kmh. The type of mass changes the variable C in the equation.

Jump to Post

11.04.2011 4:08am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

LB said:

We are stuck in our solar system. Even at light speed, the closest star systems are decades away. The closest systems with planets are hundreds of years away. The possibility of finding intelligent life or a habitable planet is slim with this kind of time restraint.

If there is no "universal speed limit" it opens the door to other possibilities. I have never understood why, in open space, an object with renewable energy, couldn't constantly gain speed beyond light speed. It might take a long time, but acceleration causes the problems, not the actual speed. I also never took physics, just read a lot of Carl Sagan and Discovery magazine.
Einstein's equations state that the closer an object with mass gets to light speed, the more energy input it needs need to keep accelerating. So it would require an infinite amount of energy for even a single particle to reach light speed.

The principle has been proven true time and tim again for decades. In all likelihood there was an error in the experiment. Nobody should be excited about this until the result is confirmed independently by different investigators.

For this result to be true, either Einstein was wrong, or the particles never did go faster than light, but took a short cut through extra unseen dimension(s) of space.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 12:46pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-15791236

T
hey uh, apparently did it again.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 8:08pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Hmmm interesting, still might not be true but if they repeated it, it could be promising.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 3:51am

ManjiSanji
Insanity Mongoose

They could have simply made the same error twice, though I understand they were more stringent about this one.

I'm cautiously optimistic, but I still remain skeptical until another group has similar results.

Jump to Post

11.23.2011 11:50pm
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

Atma Weapon said:

For this result to be true, either Einstein was wrong, or the particles never did go faster than light, but took a short cut through extra unseen dimension(s) of space.

Isn't that part of the basis of string theory, that electrons can sometimes jump into another dimension before making a full orbit around an atom?

Jump to Post

11.24.2011 5:45am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Sort of ya. String theory involves there being quite a few dimensions and that parts of atoms are actually made of parts that reside in dimensions we don't currently take account for.

Jump to Post

12.07.2011 2:18am
 (Edited on 12.07.2011 at 2:57am)

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

The extra dimensions in the traditional versions of string theory are absurdly small (something like 10 e-33 cm if I remember.) That is far too small to provide a short cut to account for such a big discrepancy.

The most likely explanation by far is a faulty experiment.

M-Theory predicts extra spatial dimensions that might be much larger, if I recall. The idea is that our universe is tethered onto a 3 dimensional sheet that floats in a fourth spatial dimension that we don't see. Almost all of the subatomic particals would be locked onto the sheet (or 3-brane) and could never leave it. Gravitons are claimed to be an exception and could travel into the other dimension. I have have no idea if the theory allows neutrinos to move from the brane, but it is an interesting idea.

For now I am sticking with the assumption of a flawed experiment until proved otherwise. Occham's razor.

Jump to Post

12.08.2011 10:37pm

Kal
yes

CERN scientists expect 'first glimpse' of Higgs Boson.

I have absolutely no idea what this all means, but Pr. John Ellis has the best face ever.

Jump to Post

12.08.2011 11:32pm
Thread Creator

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

It's as big as the rest of his body.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter