Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Final Fantasy Fansite that changed thousands

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 6 Next >

04.29.2013 7:58pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 04.29.2013 at 8:17pm)

Amer
pew pew pew

Not us, psyche. FFO is mentioned though.

http://kotaku.com/the-final-fantasy-fansite-that-changed-thousands-of-peo-484432842

Well double post in the FF board, this can be deleted.

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 8:18pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Yeah. My experiences with FFO weren't much different considering I met my wife and made many IRL friends at FFO. I still think the decline of the fansite scene has more to do with the decline of the series than changes in the internet.

I was also one of those people laying down the strictness law, but I was fine with that. It cut down on the fanboyishness and stupidity. I think the quality of our discussions were a cut above, so I don't regret it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 8:26pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I also think the sticktness is one of the reasons we are still a community even after the death of the acutall FFO. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 8:28pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Maybe. Though at this point it's definitely more because of the community than the games. Most of us are pretty damn cynical about the series and Square Enix.

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 9:07pm

Rinoa
Night Star
Administrator

That "most users online" is usually boosted by bots/spiders IPs from crawling the multitudes of threads. A lot of the data is inaccurate but the sentiment of "things were busy back then" is true.

"I actually came over from the originator of these Final Fantasy websites, which was Final Fantasy Online," Moore says over Skype. "People from there ended up spawning Final Fantasy Worlds Apart. FF Online had a reputation, in those days, for being very strict...FFWA did not exactly have a whole lot of rules back then. It was run by mostly 14 to 18 year olds, and it was created as sort of a reaction to the harshness of FF Online."

lols

Rinoa.Nu

Jump to Post

04.29.2013 11:58pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

FFO: We're run by power hungry dictators.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 12:14am

maximus asinus
Registered Member

I remember posting in the early days of FFO. The atmosphere at the time was so intimidating that I did not check for a reply for days because I wasn't sure if I met the site's standards. I think it ended up that I posted in the wrong section and I was made fun of.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 12:24am

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I've been with FFO since the beginning and I don't remember ever thinking the community was intimidating. 

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 12:53am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I think the orginal FFO had a pretty intimidating atmosphere for a new poster. Of course, once you were a regular you were in like Flynn.

I remember FFWA being very spammy and immature, especially when they tried to start "forum warz" with us, which was about the stupidest thing ever.

I think that's what works with FFS. We don't have much in the way in rules compaed to FFO and all of us admins still here have grown out of being power-hungry dictators. We're also all, for the most part, emotionally mature adults who have a lot of familiarity with each other. So it's a really pleasant experience.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 1:02am

Testament
Shamshot

I think it was only intimidating if you were an asshat, or coming in with an agenda.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 1:07am

Zubis
Registered Member

Or looked at Rain funny.

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 1:27am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Jesus, I actually remember those EoFF layouts. Nostalgia punch.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 1:52am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

And for all the rules FFO had some of the best Spamathons ive ever seen online. Hell if it wasnt for that none of us would have a shatnerXshatner fetish. 

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 2:04am

Lord Snow
Super Lurker

Mentioning all those old sites brings back so many damned memories =/

Jump to Post

04.30.2013 2:56am

tharpy
Electric Duck

memories :D

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 ... 6 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter