Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

The Penn State Sexual Abuse Scandal

11.11.2011 4:16pm
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

reido said:

Paterno is getting the bulk of the media attention because he's fucking Joe Paterno.  Who the hell knows who Sandusky and McQueary and whoever else even are?  They're not much compared to legendary coach Joe Fucking Paterno.

Absolutely this. Sandusky, Curley, and Schultz have already been arrested and charged.  PSU President Spanier was fired along with Paterno (who weren't exactly the best of buddies) and he seems to be a footnote in the whole thing. Paterno has been turned into this saintly figure who could do no wrong by his apologists and supporters, dare I say his worshippers, because he won 409 college football games. '

And he did it the right way, too. That's why the cries of the NCAA to enact the death penalty on Penn State will fall on deaf ears: because the athletic program did nothing wrong in terms of managing the athletic program. Although I'm sure Ohio St. and Miami fans are enjoying the schadenfraude since PSU fans are among the most holier-than-thou and arrogant sports fans in the country, ultimately that doesn't matter.

If the media has turned him into a scapegoat, the members of the Church of St. Joseph are equally as guilty of turning him into a martyr who could do no wrong. No one gave a crap that Spanier was fired, too. The rioting crowds weren't chanting in support of anyone who lost their jobs besides JoePa. Paterno's supporters are equally as guilty as making it all about him as the media is.

If JoePa or PSU wanted to save face, he would've resigned immediately or they would've fired him immediately (and I love that such a big deal is being made that he got fired over the phone; sorry when you protect a child rapist, unwittigly or not, you don't get that courtesy of a face-to-face canning). I think it's undeniable that this is quite possibly one of the worst PR jobs done in the history of mankind.  Everyone knew he was retiring at the end of the year anyway, so that "heartfelt" announcement of his resignation at the end of the season wasn't exactly a change of plans. And the arrogant and self-serving language he used didn't do him any favors either. Nor did the practical confession of admitting he screwed up big time.

Also the people shouting "Sandusky is the REAL villain! Leave poor JoePa alone!" need to shut the fuck up. Everyone knows Sandusky was the true villain and acknowledging him as the depraved predator he is is not exclusive to holding anyone else's feet to the fire for enabling or willfully ignoring it.

Jump to Post

11.11.2011 11:52pm

JackDyce
Canadian Liberator

I think the issue is that there are still most likely people on that coaching job who still have jobs who knew and did nothing. Perhaps they did nothing because they didn't want to cross Joe, but in any event, they should be gone as well. Really, the best thing for the school might be for them to eliminate football for a year - and I'm saying that as someone who works in college athletics. Yes, football is a big business, and yes, the loss of revenue for that year would hurt the school. But it's clear that Penn State really needs to get a grip on the idea that there are things more important in life than football, with the well-being of children being chief among those things.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 1:19am
Thread Creator (Edited on 11.12.2011 at 2:15am)

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Right now, McQueary is on indefinite, paid administrative leave. When asked point blank why he hasn't been fired, the acting president said "there are complexities to that issue." Which means there's some value to him as a witness or something else for him to stay employed. Someone like him is WAY too unimportant in the machine of PSU when head coaches and presidents are fired unless he would prove to be too valuable to fire/piss off.

OK, there are reports that Paterno is planning on being at tomorrow's game in the stands.

Want to know why people keep attacking Paterno instead of others? It's because of shit like this. Either he's completely delusional (which at 85 years old wouldn't be a stretch) or completely egotisitcal, continuing to make this story about him.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 4:35am

JackDyce
Canadian Liberator

He's 85. My guess is, he just doesn't get it.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 11:54am

Kal
yes

I can't believe there are hundreds (thousands ?) of people rioting in favor of that Joe Paterno character.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 1:31pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Kal said:

I can't believe there are hundreds (thousands ?) of people rioting in favor of that Joe Paterno character.

Yeah, of everything, this is the most mind-boggling part.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 4:36pm
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Kal said:

Many in this country have a very unhealthy obsession with college football (well, sports in general, but especially college football). Paterno has been the coach at Penn State for roughly a gazillion years, too, which makes it even worse. When you're in charge of a major football program like that for so long, you become a larger than life figure.

We like to think our sports heroes are also heroes in the actual sense of the word. Paterno, McQueary, and others involved in the Penn State football program had the opportunity to become true heroes and stop a horrible man from committing unspeakable acts. But sadly, the brand and "image" of Penn State football mattered more than stopping the victimization of young children. Which ultimately did more, permanant damage to the college's image than exposing this sick fuck for the monster he is would've from the getgo.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 5:07pm

Kal
yes

Yeah I guess it's a little hard to fully grasp the situation, as a non-US resident and someone who doesn't give a rat's ass about sports, let alone college football. But still, don't these people see that how important that man's career was or how much of a legend he is should not detract from the fact that he covered up for a child rapist. Where the hell is common sense ?

I can't even begin to imagine what the kids must be feeling right now, seeing thousands of people defending a man whom they trusted and respected and who failed them so horribly and irreversably. I hope their parents are somehow sheltering them to this whole affair. 
Man, I usually don't get so worked up over news like this... but man... Last time I got worked up like that was over pretty much the same story except instead of football coaches, it was catholic priests and cardinals and the friggin pope. The sheer hypocrisy makes me sick to my stomach.

Incidently, Jon Stewart did a great segment on 

I'm going to watch videos of bunnies now.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 6:14pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

It should be stated that not everyone who loves college football (see: myself) is completely fucking insane.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 7:44pm

Fukiyama
Sysadmin of my brain

1. McQueary said in a conference call to the team that he will not be returning as a coach.  I don't know about his official employment status, but he is de facto gone.

I absolutely agree with those who think he should have called the police immediately.  I would have marched into that shower, pulled Sandusky off that kid and punched the man in the face before taking that kid to ER for a rape kit.  I have read though an interesting suggestion by a blogger: McQueary was a player back when Sandusky was still doing his thing.  Sandusky was as much a god as Joe as far as his skills as defensive coordinator and turning PSU into 'Linebacker U'.  The blogger referred to Milgram's experiments and wondered just how much of McQueary's failure to do anything beyond going to see his dad and then them going to see JoePa can be attributed to moral cowardice and how much is simply deferring to AUTHORITY. in the form of Joe Paterno?

2. I think JoePa knows far more than he is letting on.  Maybe not anything concrete, but certainly he knows things.  There are reports floating around that Sandusky's charity was a front for providing rich donors with sexual services from young boys and that Sandusky's retirement in 1999 was actually a cover-up and that what Sandusky was doing was an open secret in the NCAA, hence why he never got picked up at another school as defensive coordinator or as head coach.

3. As for the number of Sandusky's victims, Onyx estimated as many as twenty.  I think that is far too low.  The earliest allegation I've seen so far is from 1995.  Sandusky's charity was operating much farther back than that.   If Sandusky was actually pimping out boys, the number could be much higher.

Jump to Post

11.12.2011 9:23pm
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Yeah, the more we learn, the worse it gets. Especially since reports are coming out that Texas is looking into a possible incident during the Alamo Bowl.

Jump to Post

11.14.2011 1:10am

Sei'taer
lost

I'm always utterly shocked and appalled by things like this.

Every few months some major scandal breaks in college athletics, and gasp every one acts like it's shocking that it happened. 

The only institution more corrupt in america than collegiate athletics is the government itself.  And we some how turn every scandal there into a cirus too.

I wish we didn't have to make a sensational story out of something that while it shouldn't have remained private shouldn't be on the cover of USA today either.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 2:52am

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Well, looks like the basketball program at Syracuse might be next. Sick.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 4:31am
Thread Creator

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Ugh. I shudder to think how far this goes in other colleges. Though Syracuse's reaction was immediate and efficient. I'll give props to them for that.

Jump to Post

11.18.2011 9:53am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

But if it hadn't been for the Penn State shit, they wouldn't have done anything.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter