Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

What did people in 1899 predict the year 2000 will look?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

09.04.2012 11:02am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Speechless

http://gizmodo.com/5939765/what-people-in-1899-thought-the-year-2000-would-look-like?utm_campaign=socialflow_gizmodo_facebook&utm_source=gizmodo_facebook&utm_medium=socialflow

The article has a point even in the year 2000 it would be hard to predict what 2012 would look like. It's pretty amazing how accurate Minority Report was in predicting how the future would look.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 1:28pm

Kal
yes

The Winged Firemen is my favorite.
Well at least they got "intensive breeding" right.

I think it's extremely hard to imagine what the future will look like because you can't take into account the unexpected. If you take a look at early 90's "what will the 2000's be like" articles in pop science magazines, not one of them predicted the Internet would control everything.
They all thought we'd have jetpacks, cars that drive themselves, Mars colonies, underwater colonies.....

And even 5 years ago, who could've predicted that friggin twitter would practically run the world?

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 1:54pm

Enkidoh
Time Travelling White Mage

Well, a bigger issue facing future predictions is futurists just concetrate on technological/scientific changes in their predictions, and never take possible social changes into account.

Especially the monumental social and political upheavels of the past century, especially in racial and gender rights - for instance most of the predictions made a century go, or hell, even thirty years ago still generally portrayed a world where men worked a 9 to 5 job while the wife stayed at home and cooked, cleaned and raised the children, albeit usually with wonderous high technology. I doubt any futurist could have predicted the social results of the 1960s.

Still, that first pic especially isn't too far off the mark in a metaphorical sense - those students look like they're taking some kind of audio-based lesson, not too disimillar to students of today learning with video on iPads/laptops/PCs, even if the actual method of delivery looks a little fanciful (I mean, is that a mincer that teacher is feeding those books into??). Somehow I don't think automated beauty routines will take off though.

But yeah, the winged fireman are the best. :P

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 2:10pm

Crisium
N/A

I love the style.  1899 predicting the year 2000 is so Steampunk.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 4:04pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Kal said:
And even 5 years ago, who could've predicted that friggin twitter would practically run the world?

Not me ... but I have not been subjicated to Twitter yet. I only use it for one purpose and that's to bash local Taxi's

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 4:06pm

Fifan
The guy with the girly avatar

Puhlease, Google is basically Skynet right now. Twitter doesn't come close.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 4:11pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Also  notice the class picture all the student are boys ... looks like the ones doing the predictions factored in that society would have more equality for women.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 4:56pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I accidentally read that thread title as "What did people in 1989 predict the year 2000 will look?"

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 5:17pm

Kal
yes

Catastrophe said:

I accidentally read that thread title as "What did people in 1989 predict the year 2000 will look?"

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 6:35pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

The shark still looks fake.

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 6:44pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I just noticed the sign above Jaws 19 is "HOLOMAX" to be fair the concept is somewhat similar  to  IMAX

Jump to Post

09.04.2012 7:20pm

Zubis
Registered Member

There are augmented reality apps that look more realistic than that shark at the moment.

Jump to Post

09.05.2012 1:43pm

TheheirofGondor
Registered Member

It's interesting to see how they took the top technologies of the time and just took them to to the extreme.

Jump to Post

09.06.2012 12:23am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

The one with peoples brains hooked up to a machine can loosely be considered predicting the internet.  I think as long as you have the right idea you've done a good job. Impossible to draw an accurate detailed pic of 100 years into the future, but getting the themes and ideas can be done.

One thing nobody predicted is the massive rise of cell phones to the point where everyone has one and is constantly wearing it to do EVERYTHING for them. But people did predict we'd use a computer chip on our brain on us to do everything for us, and that's kind of close.

Jump to Post

09.06.2012 9:52am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I kind of intepreted that as an Audio book

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter