Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

What to do in St. Louis?

10.31.2011 5:42pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Hey guys,

I took it on impulse to take an overnight stay in St. Louis (Nov 4 to 5).

The reason being is that I plan to catch the Blues vs. Canucks game live (Go Nucks Go!!!!)

So the first day of arrival is pretty much booked, question is what can I do the next day.

The next day I will be in St. Louis until 10 pm then its off to Indianapolis.

In my short time in St. Louis what are some of the things I can do?

Oh expected weather is partyl cloudy but overall the weather is expected to be good.

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 6:48pm

SplittinAdam
Eu sunt Dracul

Archway is cool - museum underneath, then you can ride to the top.
Union Station is a must, you'll be right there if you're going to the game.  If you're heading there to eat, go well before gametime - it gets packed.

Lumiere's Landing is also a necessity.  Ton of bars, live music, food - very entertaining.

Now, as I look back I see the crooked path that I had been set upon all those years before, leading me inexorably to this moment. I can still see her face in my mind's eye, poor dear Laura, such a sad tale is ours. A tale of heroes who strove to save humanity only to lose our own.

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 9:50pm
 (Edited on 10.31.2011 at 9:59pm)

Amer
pew pew pew

Yeah, Arch, museum under the Arch, blah blah. 

Union Station is only cool if you like to look at cool architecture. The thing is a mall now, and it's a sucky mall because no one lives in Downtown St. Louis. That said, there is a Hooter's there that gets some love before Blues games. At least there was, haven't been there in a few years. Union Station is right next door to Scottrade, where the Blues play. 

About a 5 or 6 block walk north of Scottrade/Market Street is Washington Ave. Lots of cool places to eat. Wasabi is great if you like Sushi. Also, the City Museum...which is kind of the anti-museum, is over there. It's filled with crazy art, knicknacks, and crazy shit you can climb on and slide down. Also on the way from Market to Washington ave. you have the pretty neat looking Public Library (never been inside), and the Soldier's Memorial Museum. It's a memorial and a museum! Probably have to have a strong intrests in WW2 to even go there. 

I've not been to Lumiere Place, but I hear it's a good time. 

Scottrade sits between Market Street and Clark Ave. If you take Clark east about 5 blocks you run into Busch Stadium. They used to give tours. Even if they don't, it's neat to see. World Series champs yeaaaaaaaaaaah! It's also right next to the Bowling Hall of Fame and Museum, if for some reason you love bowling. To me, that building became useless once they moved the Cardinals Muesum out of it. 

A little bit north of the stadium is Kiener Plaza, which recently had some stuff put in I believe. There's Mike Shannon's restaurant there, which I've never been to but it's always packed before Cards games. 

Where are you staying, if I may ask. Are you going to have a car? This is just stuff you could walk to if you're staying downtown. If you have a car you could go to the totally free St. Louis Zoo and St. Louis Art Museum in Forest Park, which I quite enjoy. You could also go to Crown Candy Kitchen, home of the finest milkshakes, but shit if you'd find me walking to that neighborhood from downtown. Honestly I probably wouldn't walk much further north than Washington Ave. North St. Louis has a reputation for a reason. 

Again, if you have a car, the entire Lafayette Square neighborhood is literally about 5 minute drive south of downtown, almost directly south of Scottrade, bordered by Highway 64/40 in the north and Highway 44 in the south, S. Jefferson ave. to the west and Tucker Blvd. to the east. Interesting old homes that are now worth bank, neat architecture and nearby are some great restaurants - Vin De Set and 1111 Mississippi. The last one is great, because it's the address! Lafaytte park is beautiful. What they've done in that neighborhood is amazing. 

The St. Louis Science Center is great, but another one you might want a car for if you're staying downtown. It's a little west of downtown, near Kingshighway and Oakland Ave. It's right next to where The Arena once stood, where the Blues used to play. It's across Highway 40 from Forest Park. 

Have fun at the game. If you wear Nucks gear just keep your head down and you should be fine. Blues fans have grown to really hate the Nucks over the last few years with all you guys have done to us. 

Just to add some more: Downtown St. Louis isn't the most happening place. Friday during the day all you will see is the downtown work force. Saturday afternoon/evening is basically going to be all the Blues traffic. The city is pretty much a snooze fest unless there is a sporting event or for the tourist stuff down near the riverfront. That's why I ask if you have a car. 

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 9:59pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Thanks for the advice. (Un)Fortnatley I dont have any Canucks gear so I think i'll be fine.

I will be staying at the St. Louis Union Station Marriott ... 1820 Market St. I had some Mariott Points and it was enough for me to have a night stay.

And nope I don't have a car

Jump to Post

10.31.2011 10:06pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Ah cool. I used to work two blocks east from Union Station, so I'm just kind of going on memory here. Doh, realized the game is Friday night. So yeah, Saturday the city might be a little empty. It's definitely no Chicago. 

Saturday during the day might be when you want to hit the more touristy things if you're so inclined. Downtown without a sporting event is pretty much all about the restaurants and clubs, which wont' happen until that night, maybe too late depending on when you have to leave. 

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 1:29am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Great! I am not sure my plan is with St Louis but Im thinking Union Station, Gateway Arch, and the area surrounding it like the City Garden, City Museum and Stuff.

So I can go around the city area in the morning to early afternoon, then go around Union Station to early afternoon to 7:30 pm.

After that I basically got 2 1/2 hours in the eveninng ... any suggestions near the area?

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 3:13pm

Amer
pew pew pew

City Museum would only be a 10 or 15 min walk from Union Station/Your Hotel. Never been to the CityGarden. It's relatively new. The Missouri Botanical Garden is amazing if you're into that sort of thing. Unfortunately it's down south, somewhat west to the Lafayette Square neighborhood I was talking about earlier. Not sure I'd really consider walking that distance, but it should be an easy drive if you have a car. St. Louis public transport sucks. Sorry. Actually, now that I think of it, St. Louis MetroLink (the light rail service) has a station outside Forest Park, which would put you at probably a 10-20 minute walk to the St. Louis Art Museum and St. Louis Zoo, which are both free to get into. This is pretty convienent if you want to do it, as Union Station is a MetroLink stop. I think the Forest Park station is only 3 stops west of Union Station. I think a ticket is 2.50, a two hour pass is like 2.95 and then it goes up from there. All that said, I've never been ticket-checked on the MetroLink.

Two stops west of Union Station is the central west end stop, which is a pretty hip neighborhood. Lots of restaurants and bars around if you're into nightlife. You could go to Forest Park, go to the Zoo and Art Museum, then get back on and get off at CWE, hit up a bar or whatever for dinner, then take it back east to Union Station. That said there are a few places to eat in Union Station, and places all over Washington Ave (near City Museum) or downtown to eat. 

There are no MetroLink stops near the Botanical Garden. You can find all the MetroLink info here: http://www.metrostlouis.org/Default.aspx

Looks like there is actually a downtown trolley that goes around. It's cheap, and you could probably walk everything, but as an option: http://www.metrostlouis.org/Libraries/Metrobus_Maps/Map99062810F.pdf

Jump to Post

11.01.2011 6:40pm
 (Edited on 11.01.2011 at 6:56pm)

Crux
A mental Dentist's office

Amer said:
Detailed guide
Well, Amer said everything I could think of by now. He's right of course, a car helps in St. Louis.
I did get checked for a ticket once on the Metrolink, but the guys who didn't weren't intimidated to leave the car, they were too busy laughing and then left at the next stop.

Keiner Plaza is also where the Occupy STL people are at right now.

The City Garden is lovely, but stay away from the Serra Trapezoid thing at the far west end; it's uninteresting, ugly, and smells of Hobo urine. Besides it's not really a part of the City Garden anyway.

It might be easier to reach the Art Museum if you get off the Metro Link at the Forest Park station and then cross the street towards the History Museum.

I definitely suggest Vin de Set, The view is lovely in the summer and the food is good.

There are some okay stores and restaurants in the city, my favorites are now though.

Hmm I think the Lafeyette Square Block party was aready a couple weekends ago, so no chance of that.

I've heard great things about the City Museum, I havent been there myself yet though, but I want to go sometime. Sadly the creator of the place, Bob Cassilly, died recently while working on another project.

I haven't been too thrilled with the Science Center since I found out they put a Build-a-Bear and a Taco Bell in it.

Central West End is a good place to hang out at, but don't go north to Delmar. There once was a Schnucks in the area that was shut down due to having a lot of shop-liftings.
Washington has a lot of good bars and places all the way from the river to St. Louis University. One of which is Urban Chestnut, great beers.

Jump to Post

11.02.2011 11:47pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Saw the price in Vin de Set ... looks nice but quite pricey i'll have to think about that.

Regarding the city museum ... the site says it closes 1 AM on Saturdays. Is this true?

cuz if so it looks like I know what I will be doing after 7pm :)

Jump to Post

11.03.2011 4:08pm

Amer
pew pew pew

As far as I know, that is correct. Like I said, it's the anti-museum. 

Jump to Post

11.05.2011 5:08am
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Damn tough loss for the Canucks but they fought til the end and I still had a great time. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 1:13am

Amer
pew pew pew

Hope you're having fun! 

Jump to Post

11.06.2011 7:28pm
Thread Creator

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

Oh yeah it was a fun day

The Old Courthouse - Nice glimpse of History of St. Louis

Gateway Arch - It was an amazing signt and went on top to the observatory. Though to be honest I was more impressed with the architecture and engineering of the arch than the observatory. You could only do so much on top (but I guess thats expected) but the structure is a anamzing and monumental piece of simplicity and engineering.

Kiener Plaza and CItygarden - Too a nice stroll saw the protestors and had city garden looked nice

Union Station - First place I visited since it was connected to my hotel. We have a similar place like this back home in The Philippines except ours is dilapidated and poorly preserved. Union Station is the exact opposite I'm just proud of any city preserving their historical landmarks.

City Museum - Looked cool but Idecided not to go in I would guess I would only have fun if I was either a kid or with a few buddies. I was by myself so I decided to pass but what a crazy looking place.

Laclede's Landing - Went here late afternoon and the evening. Went insdie Lumiere's Place I was tempted to do some slots but nah! Tempted to do the buffer but I needed a place to kill time and stumbled upon The Royal Dumpee and went in to kill time. The show was fun the food average but overall I liked it. The Landing is also nice, not as big as I would expect, but hey at least there was an adult store.

So yeah that's what I did,. And Thanks for Amer, Cruz, and SplittinAdam for all your advice.

Jump to Post

11.07.2011 2:59am

Amer
pew pew pew

Sounds like a good time! Thanks for visiting our fair city. Although tecnically, I've never been a resident of St. Louis or St. Louis County. Just paid the tax for working in the city. 

I harken from over ye Missouri River in the mighty St. Charles. 

Union Station has made a big comeback, but I wish it was more. Fun fact, while it was still in bad shape it served as the shooting location for the gladiator fight in Escape From New York.

Jump to Post

11.10.2011 5:56am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

There's always heroin.  Lots and lots of heroin.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter