Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Who remembers how this forum used to be?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.13.2022 6:53am
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

I'm asking all of the old members... Boko Mog, Dark Emissary... Onyx... who else remembers how the FFO Forums were back in 2001, 2002, and 2003... those were the good old days... Dh, I see you're online right now. Maybe you can help jog some people's memories!

Jump to Post

02.13.2022 6:59am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

Jed Kemsley said:

I'm asking all of the old members... Boko Mog, Dark Emissary... Onyx... who else remembers how the FFO Forums were back in 2001, 2002, and 2003... those were the good old days... Dh, I see you're online right now. Maybe you can help jog some people's memories!

Yeah, I gotta admit, I miss the internet as it was back in those days. I never got into social media and I don't care that only a handful of sites pretty much govern the majority of online discussions now. Nothing like a nice clean vBulletin installation and some customizations to start a brand new community back in the ancient times.

I made this for you!

Jump to Post

02.13.2022 8:16am
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

Dh said:

Yeah, I gotta admit, I miss the internet as it was back in those days. I never got into social media and I don't care that only a handful of sites pretty much govern the majority of online discussions now. Nothing like a nice clean vBulletin installation and some customizations to start a brand new community back in the ancient times.

If only there was a brand-new vBulletin installation to start a brand-new community these days... maybe I'm onto something here... social media can go and get lost, in my humble opinion...

Jump to Post

02.13.2022 8:30am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

Jed Kemsley said:

If only there was a brand-new vBulletin installation to start a brand-new community these days... maybe I'm onto something here... social media can go and get lost, in my humble opinion...

The software still exists, but the internet is simply a different place today. Despite the fact this "beta" FFS forum (as it originally was) is broken as hell, it was pretty active a few years back, but people seem to have moved on. There's a Discord server some of the old schoolers have set up where people chit-chat and BS, but Final Fantasy just ain't the draw it used to be.

Jump to Post

02.14.2022 6:30am
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

Dh said:

The software still exists, but the internet is simply a different place today. Despite the fact this "beta" FFS forum (as it originally was) is broken as hell, it was pretty active a few years back, but people seem to have moved on. There's a Discord server some of the old schoolers have set up where people chit-chat and BS, but Final Fantasy just ain't the draw it used to be.

Not the Draw command in Final Fantasy 8! Sorry, my attempt at humour...

Jump to Post

02.16.2022 1:49am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

I also miss it, a lot. vBulletin was so much better in my opinion than what we've devolved into. I think I had a lot of meaingful conversations at FFO. Conversations where people actually considered each other's thinking, instead of just shouting out into the ether. I'm glad you put thework into putting this here for us DH. I wish it was more utilized, and I'm guilty of that, too. 

Jump to Post

02.16.2022 11:52pm
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

vBulletin was the bees knees. Way better than Invision Power Board, Woltlab Burning Board, phpBB, or ezBoard for that matter!

Jump to Post

02.17.2022 2:16am

Dh
Not in the face!
The Alpha and the Omega

Arckanghel said:

I also miss it, a lot. vBulletin was so much better in my opinion than what we've devolved into. I think I had a lot of meaingful conversations at FFO. Conversations where people actually considered each other's thinking, instead of just shouting out into the ether. I'm glad you put thework into putting this here for us DH. I wish it was more utilized, and I'm guilty of that, too.

Yeah, if I'd had access to the server when it was getting hacked to hell and back, I probably could've saved it and the community would've held on a little longer. That was ultimately the sad thing about the end of FFO, literally watching it die at the hands of bots and not being able to do anything about it. Nonetheless, many of you stuck around and made this iteration work, so thank you!

Jed Kemsley said:

vBulletin was the bees knees. Way better than Invision Power Board, Woltlab Burning Board, phpBB, or ezBoard for that matter!

vBulletin was really easy to customize, too. It was nice to tweak the layout to look like FFO and have all the custom buttons and icons we made for it drop in nicely. Nowadays, XenForo seems to be the forum software of choice and it's pretty impressive as well.

I relaunched MD recently and just got the beta beta version of my updated forum software, much of which is modeled off of this, up and running. It's actually deader than this place though as Google is actively burying me in search results. It's cleaner, faster, optimized, but the biggest difference is it runs on mobile devices.

Feel free to check it out here: https://www.mentaldischarge.com/discussions

EDIT: And WTF is up with the weird junk characters in posts now? I never figured out how or when that shit started.

Jump to Post

02.17.2022 8:44am
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

Dh said:

vBulletin was really easy to customize, too. It was nice to tweak the layout to look like FFO and have all the custom buttons and icons we made for it drop in nicely. Nowadays, XenForo seems to be the forum software of choice and it's pretty impressive as well.

I relaunched MD recently and just got the beta beta version of my updated forum software, much of which is modeled off of this, up and running. It's actually deader than this place though as Google is actively burying me in search results. It's cleaner, faster, optimized, but the biggest difference is it runs on mobile devices.

EDIT: And WTF is up with the weird junk characters in posts now? I never figured out how or when that shit started.

I read the post on Mental Discharge... https://www.mentaldischarge.com/articles/culture/The-New-Mental-Discharge-Has-Arrived-for-Some-Reason

I liked the article... and I posted on the discussion board, too, so MD isn't as dead as FFO...

Cheers,

Jed Kemsley

Jump to Post

02.17.2022 11:48pm

Blue Storm
Original FFO Member

....UBB was better....

Jump to Post

02.20.2022 3:19am
Thread Creator

Jed Kemsley
Registered Member

Blue Storm said:

....UBB was better....

I remember UBB, and actually, Ikonboard for that matter...

Jump to Post

02.25.2022 3:08pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I still have very fond memories of the riddle threads. It was a very engaging game and I had a blast discussing video games with the community in that creative way.

Jump to Post

05.02.2022 8:45pm

Mert
on Dew

Dh said:

We need this here. The importance of responsive design in the mobile era can't be understated.

Jump to Post

05.11.2022 5:57am

vinnyvalentino
Hyperion Master

I really miss when this place was hopping way back in the day.  Coming back online after sleeping and every single section having new posts and threads was amazing and something sorely lacking in more modern social media.  Sure there's always tons of new posts on facebook or tweets on twitter, but it's just not the same.

It's sad that this forum isn't what it used to be, but just the fact that it does still exist and not just in some read only format like a number of old forums I used to visit are is still impressive. I'll take the one reply or new thread that pops up every couple of months or so when I stop by these parts over a locked and completely dead forum anyday.

And that, as they say, is that.

Jump to Post

05.30.2022 4:41am

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

https://discord.gg/8PWgYvCYaa

Link to the discord if anyone's interested. Well it doesn't catch the aesthetic of this wonderful site, it still does have many of the members and the vibe.

I have to agree I miss the old days. I miss the members, the lime green text, oh Lord the lime green text.

I just remember how coming here was one of the few places that kept me from feeling alone as a teenager. Even with the Discord now, it still provides that place for me. To be honest, the friends I have here I've likely had longer than anybody in my life. I enjoy the time capsule thread

There was a time a few years back where I was homeless. I'd pretty much given up on everything, but was beginning to really try and push to get out. One of my relatives gave us a flip phone. We had a little bit of data in the first place I came was here. Knowing that it was still here and active was probably one of those watershed moments that I had during that time they gave me faith that I could get back to some normalcy.

You know I miss the way the internet was back then. You know looking for things was kind of like a treasure hunt. We didn't have wonderfully curated wikis, which I do admittedly enjoy. But finding that one rare piece of information, we're being able to say that one really cool piece of art or music on that random site out on the web just felt so good.

I miss, about those days, just how obtainable life in the world seemed. It truly felt like you could achieve what you wanted if you set out for it. Nowadays with all this chaos I don't know, but back then with the site, and with life things seemed more hopeful. I very much miss it. But I'm very thankful that the site still here.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter