Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

Zombie Apocalypse Theme Park

07.05.2012 2:20am
Thread Creator (Edited on 07.05.2012 at 2:25am)

Seldomseen
Old Guard

http://www.indiegogo.com/zworlddetroit

Not sure if this has been posted yet, but I only just heard about it on the tube today. Very interesting idea. Essentially, it's a proposed initiative to turn some of Detroit's more dilapidated and abandoned areas into a night-long zombie apocalypse experience.

As taken from Indiegogo:

What is Z World Detroit?

Z World Detroit will be a unique and spectacular zombie themed experience park that will transform a virtually neglected section of Detroit, Michigan.  Participants will be chased by a growing zombie horde through abandoned factories, stores and homes across hundreds of derelict urban acres.

The city of Detroit is considering literally abandoning sections of the city.  While the economic and social benefits of this action can be debated.  We think the situation demands more creativity. 

The Z World Detroit initiative is a radical rethinking of urban redevelopment and Detroit's well-documented blight and de-population.  It turns perceived liabilities into assets that will bring a renewed vitality to a struggling neighborhood. When done right, Z World Detroit would be transformative for part of the city, it would create jobs for Detroiters and become a legitimate destination.

While zombies are great, the real neat thing about this project is the potential to inject some life into a forgotten neighborhood - with the opportunity to work with neighborhood groups and organization.  In short, Z World Detroit would become part of the neighborhood, the center of the neighborhood, rather than something sitting outside the neighborhood.  A big inspiration for this effort is Detroit's Heidelberg Project (http://www.heidelberg.org), where an artist transformed an east-side street into a massive art installation.  This has has a profound effect on that neighborhood and made it a destination.

There's more in the link at the top.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 2:31am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The Detroit ghettos are actually scarier than zombies.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 4:22am

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Sounds like fun.  Doubt it'll make it to the east, though, and there is no way in hell will I be doing to Detroit for any reason.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 4:35am
Thread Creator

Seldomseen
Old Guard

Yeah, I'll be honest, Detroit scares me too. I mean, I was only passing through it to get back to Canada, but goodness gracious is it ever sketchy.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 1:12pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I really doubt 145000 is enough to buy that big of acerage in Detroit. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 10:51pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Its an interesting idea. If it was successful it could start bringing tourism to Detroit which desperately needs the money.

Jump to Post

07.05.2012 11:42pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Pretty tricky proposal and not a bad idea really. First thing I thought about this is the insurance which seems daunting to me as I imagine all the buildings would have be deemed safe for people to climb around in which would mean reno costs as well. And then you have people engaging other people in hand to hand essentially which could be dicey. Nothing a standard waiver couldn't solve I guess?

Jump to Post

07.06.2012 1:53am

Mole
Somebody loves ya.

I don't think turning decaying neighborhoods into hipster playgrounds is a sound way to address urban blight. Assuming they somehow get the millions of dollars this will require to undertake, how much of that will be spent locally? What job oppurtunities will be created here, and to whom will they actually go? How will this attract the new industries, forward-thinking companies, and young professionals that a city needs in order to grow and thrive?  How will tourism dollars be generated from an event that appeals to single twenty-somethings as opposed to families? What is their business plan for all this? Will this be a novelty event, or a long-standing Detroit fixation? If the latter, what is their growth plan? If the former, what happens when the zombie fad dies down and everyone leaves the town in worse shape than when they arrived?

Jump to Post

07.06.2012 5:08am

Crisium
N/A

Hopefully you do more than just run though.  Laser tag style shooting, anyone?  More points for head shots, of course.

Jump to Post

07.07.2012 4:15am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

This is frekain awesome .I'd love to see this kind of thing spread around.

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 5:36pm

Soul Hunter
Ambitious but rubbish
Administrator

Crisium said:

Hopefully you do more than just run though.  Laser tag style shooting, anyone?  More points for head shots, of course.

This.  No point staging a zombie town without some shooting.  Make it creative and spread puzzles around pointing the way to weapons and other goodies.

Jump to Post

09.02.2012 8:24pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

Clowd Cole said:

I really doubt 145000 is enough to buy that big of acerage in Detroit. 

I don't know, I'd believe it after seeing how cheap real estate goes for in Detroit. You can buy a house for $10,000 there.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter