Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Community Discussion  >  General Discussion

question about going back to school

< Prev 1 2 Next >

07.04.2012 4:33am

tharpy
Electric Duck

I went to college after a stint in the miiltary.  I was definitely more focused due even that little bit of an age gap, but i still made friends and had a good experience. 

I think if you (and your parents) can tolerate living at home.  That would be the best situation.  A part time job (if needed) helps for some cash. 

I spent a year living a dorm, then 2 years living in my own apartment with a friend, and racked up a ton of debt.  If you can avoid doing that (racking up debt) you'll be golden. 

Don't be shy about hanging out with the 'kids'  but also be ready for them to leech when they learn you're able to buy them beer and liquor (also a good money maker under the table)  Just don't get caught :)   

A degree never hurts and you've got an easy conversation piece in any interview by saying you weren't happy with your existing, and worked to better yourself and your opprotunities. 

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 10:14pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Has anyone here done like online degrees, because of the shitdive my life has done in the past few months making it into an acutal school is impossible. So online schools may be my only option at this time.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

07.22.2012 11:45pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I've investigated online schools, but I'm still uncertain about them myself.  It'd be great, if they're good, but I'd like to know that someobdy else did something like the University of Phoenix and was okay wit hit.

Jump to Post

07.23.2012 12:23am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

My Girlfriend got her Grad degree at the Unversity of Phoenix.

Jump to Post

07.23.2012 12:45am
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Id82 said:

My Girlfriend got her Grad degree at the Unversity of Phoenix.

Was it a good experince? Is the degree actully useful or is like a degree from ITT which is just  a piece of paper saying you spent an assload of money on nothing.

Jump to Post

07.23.2012 4:03am

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Well she went for a teaching degree, all she has to do is finish her credentials and take the teaching test and shell be certified to teach. Not that there are many teaching jobs out there at the moment, but she would be just as qualified as anyone who studied teaching somewhere else.

Jump to Post

07.25.2012 8:59am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

University of Pheonix has actually has better accredidation than many traditional universities. Their online course system kicks the crap out of the models most Universities are trying to implement for both their traditional courses and their hybrid and online courses. That said, there is still a stigma in getting a degree there to some degree, especially among academics. I think it's a valid option if what you're really interested in is learning, but what industry you plan to enter is important when regarding them.

I couldn't stand living at home and agree with some of the things said earlier about taking out some loans to float the whole experience. Especially if it makes the difference between going to a place you want to be and one you do not. If the University is one you don't want to go to, you won't be happy. That will color the whole experience and likely your result.

Lastly, as far as choosing what to do, explore. Maybe you pick something the first semester, but take a class in some other area you are interested in. Every single semester I made it a point to take a course outside of my comfort zone and my major(s). That's how I ended up in Economics and Communications from starting at Psychology and History. It was well worth it. And if I chose to go back for undergrad, I could pick up other majors in a year or less. The bottom line being that I'm happy with what I learned and the options it has given me. It's a journey, and you don't start it knowing all the answers, just a general good guess. Learn as you go.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 4:14pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

I work at a school and could get a masters degree paid for.  I really should do it - I mean I won't be able to get much higher here without one (although not sure that I really want to).  But I just can't conceive of the notion of writing a paper at this point in my life.  Wouldn't even know how to go about it, other than stream of consciousness.

Jump to Post

08.24.2012 10:33pm

Megz
Capital M before egz

I'm kind of in your boat Colin. I'm working in education and have started papers toward a Masters in Educational Psychology. I've had an assignment of 4500 words for 3 weeks now and haven't written a thing. I've got all my literature and stuff but I just cannot find the motivation or time to get to writing it. 

Sugar. Short AND sweet.

Jump to Post

11.09.2012 9:25pm
Thread Creator

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Ok, so things are looking better so im looking deeper into this.

Sorry for the bump, but anyone know of any adult scholarship programs. I know some exist, but I cant find anything on them.

Jump to Post

11.11.2012 5:50am

Dr Squirrel
medicine woman

I'm happy to hear about people going back to school after long breaks.  I'm going to be a 25 year old college freshman and I'm glad to know that's not such a strange thing anymore.

trust me, i'm a doctor

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter