Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Chrono Trigger on iOS

12.12.2011 4:46pm
Thread Creator

ahninjas
likes 'em pretty

Ten dollars for arguably the best SNES RPG is a pretty good deal, but it's ??587 megabytes?? in size. I only have an 8 gigabyte iPod touch, and I don't have that much free space. I'd have to get rid of other content. My question is, has anyone tried it?  Looking at the screenshots and App Store reviews, it seems like a half hearted port, much like Secret of Mana.

Jump to Post

12.12.2011 7:16pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I have the FFIII DS port for iPad, and I'm not a fan of the controls. It is clumsy for pure turn based, so active time alla Chrono Trigger would be a nightmare.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 4:46am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

That's a large damn file for something that was 4mb on the SNES and probably 64 or 128 on the DS with the (compressed) FMVs.  Toss in flakey touch controls and I'd be less than sold if I was a smart phone holder.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 5:47am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

i'm scared to play ANY port on iOS.  it's a cool concept, but in practice it doesn't seem like it would work too well.

Jump to Post

12.14.2011 5:58am

Crisium
N/A

587mb?  Wow, what a massive fail of progamming.

4mb SNES
454mb PSX
128mb DS
587mb IOS

Compress those videos, sheesh.  Shameful, really.

But do share any feedback if you play it.  This could be a good way to introduce the to some people.

Jump to Post

12.16.2011 4:26am
Thread Creator

ahninjas
likes 'em pretty

Lews said:

i'm scared to play ANY port on iOS.  it's a cool concept, but in practice it doesn't seem like it would work too well.

The FF1 and 2 ports are actually really good.

Jump to Post

12.17.2011 6:10am

hkr
Too queer to get out of bed

The large filesize is due to uncompressed audio aparently.

Also I have it.  I imagine it's impossible to play on iPhone.  I'm running it on the iPad.  Major problems include:

-you can't just press the menu item you want in battle mode.  You have to use the fake joystick to scroll down and select it like you were playing with a controller.  Trying to do this in a boss fight makes the game all but impossible to play on active mode.

-Moving on the world map is even more annoying since there are a lot of spots you have to be in a precise area to be able to enter.

Incredibly low effort by SE on this, which is disapointing because it just takes a little bit of tweaking for iOS to get these games to be awesome for this type of device.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter