Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Double Fine seeks funding

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.09.2012 2:44pm
Thread Creator

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

So they went to Kickstarter and asked for people to make donations so that they can make an old school point-n-click adventure game.  The goal for the project was about $400,000.  And the annoucment was only made last night.

The next day... the goal is met.  I guess people really want their point and click adventure titles.  Oh, and the donation period was set to be 34 days.

Here's the page if you want to make a donation.  At the time of this posting, the current funded amount is over $560,000.  Don't need to greedy publisher to screw you over now, do you, Tim?

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 3:51pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

Considering the amount of funding they're probably going to have when the kickstarter ends (since I don't believe there's anyway to prematurly end a kickstarter) and the fact that their expected budget was 400,000, I'm expecting some interesting developments for that game. I could easily forsee them getting three times what they asked, even with a huge drop off in donation pace. I wonder what all that extra money'll do for the game...

Either way, I bet Tim Schafer came into the office today, checked the kickstarter, and then steepled his fingers and muttered "Eeeeexcellent."

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 3:55pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

The "Tim negotiates publishing rights" captioned photo killed me. I love that promo with Cookie Monster.

Incredible to see how quickly the funds have come rolling in.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 7:14pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Big Tall said:

The "Tim negotiates publishing rights" captioned photo killed me. I love that promo with Cookie Monster.

Incredible to see how quickly the funds have come rolling in.

Apparently nobody has been able to do it faster than them, either.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 7:15pm
 (Edited on 02.09.2012 at 7:21pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

Up to $794K now. They'll probably top out at a few million or so in 33 days.

EDIT: In the the time it took me to see their $794K figure and go off and make some tea it hit $802K.

Is this actual money they have or just pledges? I hope it's not just a bunch of people trolling them.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 8:27pm
Thread Creator

CaButler

Zubis said:

Up to $794K now. They'll probably top out at a few million or so in 33 days.

EDIT: In the the time it took me to see their $794K figure and go off and make some tea it hit $802K.

Is this actual money they have or just pledges? I hope it's not just a bunch of people trolling them.

It's real money, since you have to pay using a credit card.  Granted, it won't be charged until March, when the funding is completed, but it is real money.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 8:53pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Closing in on $900K...

PCMag had some details on what you get for your money as well:

Pledge $15 and you get a free game on Steam, access to the PC Beta on Steam, and access to the video series and the private discussion community. A donation of at least $30 earns supporters an HD download of the documentary series, as well as the aforementioned perks. $100 and above warrants a poster and special thanks in the game's credits. An autographed poster goes to backers who pony up $250 or more. For a $1,000 pledge, the game's artist will paint a picture of you, a $5,000 donation gets a painting of original art used in the game, and $10,000 earns the backer a lunch date at the Double Fine offices with Shafer and Ron Gilbert. The sweetest prize goes to those that pony up $50,000 or more â?? the backer gets to be an actual character in the game.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 9:09pm

KyleIII
Registered Member

I pledged $15 as soon as I saw it. I've been very excited by the results of this experiment. I hesitate to call it a 'donation', either, it's really more of a preorder.

This also comes just a couple days after Notch, the Minecraft guy, expressed interest in funding Psychonauts 2 and Tim Schafer confirmed they were talking. Sure, nothing may come of that, but it's still fun to hope!

Also:

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 11:31pm
 (Edited on 02.09.2012 at 11:45pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

"$955k!
Guys, I'll make you a deal.
If we hit $980k I'll add RTS elements to the game!
And if we hit $1M, I'll take them back out!" -Twitter.

Sounds like he's having fun with this anyway.

$997K

EDIT: They hit one million and Kickstarter's website is about to fall over it seems!

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 11:40pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I was really happy when Zeboyd used this to bring his games to Steam.  Glad to see the program works (and a hell of a lot better) for others too.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.09.2012 11:52pm

Kal
yes

As a hardcore point & click fan who refuses to acknowledge point and clicks weren't even that good, this is the greatest news ever. It's crazy how fast they got the money. Big gaming companies must be shitting their pants right now.

I pledged 30 because that's all i could afford right now, but damn it I want to have lunch with Ron Gilbert.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 1:46am
Thread Creator

CaButler

I just made my pledge of $100.00, so that means I get the game, the documentry, the soundtrack and the poster.

It's current total after I made my donation is $1,076,504.  I hope the game turns into a success, because then this would be a more viable solution to how publishers are.

Hell, you could say that this is his way of saying "fuck you" to Activision and EA, but he's too kind for that, so he'll say it in his game instead.

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 4:50am

Amer
pew pew pew

I chipped in $30 earlier today. I can't wait for some ADVENTURE TIME

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 5:09pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Tim Schafer said:

$1,343,061! We've passed the budget of Day of the Tentacle and are closing in on the Full Throttle budget ($1.5M). I'm adding motorcycles!
XD

Jump to Post

02.10.2012 7:26pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 02.11.2012 at 6:03pm)

CaButler

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter