Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Dragon Quest X still in the pipeline

09.06.2011 2:47am
Thread Creator

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

https://forums.ffonline.com/showthread.php?t=54726

OK, so linking to a thread from Old FFO with a link in it might annoy you but I thought it was fun.

https://wii.ign.com/articles/119/1192545p1.html

In short, DQ X is going to be on both Wii and Wii U, will be a kinda-sorta MMO that will potentially have a monthly fee for. And it isn't getting Level 5's glorious touch. I'm very skeptical about this since for DQ I like the approach VIII took that was more story centric and with a game that you supposedly can't even play past a few hours without an internet connection I just don't know yet.

Thoughts?

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 5:03am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

This sounds like the house that FFXII built.

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 3:37am

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

FUCK MANDATORY ONLINE!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

*ahem*

But seriously. What is wrong with keeping this series solo?

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 4:21am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

I think this is a step in the wrong direction. You can see the money grab all over it (and hey, guess who's stock tanked).

The problem, or at least one of the big ones, with Squeenix right now is they are trying to solve problems with their games through economic means rather than artistic ones. Their games suck, so no one buys them, so they find ways to get more cash out of the ones people *do* buy. It's not a strange business concept, but it is still just treating the symptoms. What they needed to do was just make a good game, and I see that as being secondary to having a profitable one here.

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 6:09pm

Plumbum
Yes, what of it?

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/100">Darth Howie</a> said:</span>

FUCK MANDATORY ONLINE!!!!! RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAGE!!!

*ahem*

But seriously. What is wrong with keeping this series solo?
This, this a thousand times this. They should have kept the series a mix of both, with the abilities to make your own equipment, and trade it online one of the benefits of online play. I just want to make my Create a Character, and then go on a journey with colorful NPCs with great personalities like DQVIII. Now they are expecting the userbase to provide the experience, and personalities and not the creators. The possible trolling could totally ruin the charm DQ has.

I've never played a Wii game online before, is the setup as limiting as the DS?

I agree with SuperSquall's point. When you make good games, people will get interested. I haven't been interested in SE since FFXII. They should have stuck with their main guys, instead of chasing them out.

Jump to Post

09.08.2011 6:49am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

It took awhile, but Squaresoft merger with Enix finally messed up the Enix side of things. You kind of saw this coming, with DQ8 having an amazing story, DQ9 had no story but instead focused on multiplayer gaming and fetch quests with these other players.

Jump to Post

09.08.2011 4:24pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I enjoyed (enjoying) DQIX but a lack of characters kind of brought it down.

As for DQVIII, I've never finished it, I just give up after a while. I still prefer DQVII, as blasphemous as that might be.

As for DQX, it's plain to see that this whole online thing is entirely on the Square side of the equation. The series has been offline since it began with engaging characters, great stories and tried-tested-true gameplay, but now they're throwing all that out the window for the sake of the almighty dollar. If DQX dies a quick death in Japan (which I'm predicting it will), it will not only be the death bell for the Dragon Quest series but also the final nail in Square-Enix's coffin.

And then the Fantasy really will be Final.

Jump to Post

09.14.2011 4:10pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

I loved DQIX ... the lack of characterizations and pure cuztomization is a throwback from DQIII and that was fine with me since DQIX still had an amazing cast of NPC's.

As for DQX being online my concerns are the same as I posted in the old forums. The what if your connection goes down concern.

Jump to Post

09.16.2011 4:27pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

DQIX was fun, but it was nowhere near as good as DQV or DQVIII which had the strongest NPCs and plotlines in the series.

Jump to Post

09.21.2011 4:59am

tenken
Hooligan

What makes me sad is that DQ8 was the first I'd played in the series, and it had a real class-A localization that made the characters memorable, and although I prefer a strong central story to the DQ series' vignette-ish approach, a lot of those vignettes were quite well-done, and I enjoyed them. Since DQ9 was a bit light on story and lighter on characters, I was hoping 10 would be a return to the things I liked about 8, but it seems it's just going to be another push even further along on the trail blazed by 9, and that makes me think "When will people stop taking cool things away from me soon after I discover them?"

I don't think MMO elements are necessarily a bad thing for a DQ title, but by the very nature of the game type, it'll be very difficult to deliver the things that I think are DQ's greatest assets.

Jump to Post

09.21.2011 5:42am
Thread Creator

Crono

Here here, tenk.

Jump to Post

09.21.2011 9:27pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

The more I think about it, the more I think how awesome FF13 would have been if they took DQ9's approach and made your characters generics. Makes me realize the DQ9 approach could be a lot worse. I"d take generic over annoying every day I suppose...

Jump to Post

09.23.2011 2:21am
Thread Creator

Crono

https://www.gametrailers.com/video/japanese-debut-dragon-quest/721338

Looks decent but again, I'll still miss the character driven story of VIII. Story party&gt;generic MMO/IX style party.

Jump to Post

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter