Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

E3 2014

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 Next >

06.15.2014 12:01pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

Scribe said:

Soap box barking at others to create what you want.... is most likely going to prove fruitless and it's really really annoying as fuck.

Stop and think about the irony of you daring to say this in light of what you just posted.

P.S. "Soapbox barking" got Mass Effect 3 fans extended endings. And I don't know about you, but representation in forms of entertainment seems to be to me a much more pressing social issue than merely hating how a certain game ended (as bad as it was).

Jump to Post

06.15.2014 12:40pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

I wanna snag a Wii U but it's still ridunkoulously expensive here. I wish I can get that $200 refurb deal from Ninty. Bayo 1 + 2 sounds really really enticing. And Splatoon. :(

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

06.15.2014 2:52pm

Ghast
Adult Human

The Wii U is that thing with a big, bulky, already-obsolete iPad for a controller, right? I lustily swore to the heavens that I would never use a controller larger than the N64's controller and I meant it.

Freaked out everyone else in line at the pharmacy.

Jump to Post

06.15.2014 6:56pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Rhaegar said:

Stop and think about the irony of you daring to say this in light of what you just posted.

P.S. "Soapbox barking" got Mass Effect 3 fans extended endings. And I don't know about you, but representation in forms of entertainment seems to be to me a much more pressing social issue than merely hating how a certain game ended (as bad as it was).

I don't think hashtag activism is going to do much since you're not dealing with a developer that actually cares what its fans think but a major publisher who only cares about $$$. Besides, Bioware and EA put out the extended ending not out of any sense of altruism but because they wanted people to buy DLC. And the massive outcry was also pretty well-organized and did a lot more than just complain about the ending.

Again, the only real way to get Ubisoft to rethink its design philosophy is to attack their bottom line and boycott the game until they give in. Even then, you might have to wait either for an extensive DLC option or an entirely new game because it's way too late in the development process to create a brand new female character with all the rigging, animations, (which are much more extensive than what would be needed for the last gen consoles), voice acting, and everything else that goes into the work, for something like this to be out for Day 1. Too much time, labor, and expense.

Jump to Post

06.15.2014 9:41pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I'm not sure that all those Mass Effect 3 fans would've truly boycotted any paid DLC without those extended endings, any more than you think people threatening to boycott AC Unity won't follow through. And even though the ME3 outcry was well organized, at the end of the day, it's still internet activism. (Which was driven by some overdramatic people, as evidenced by voting EA the Worst Company over obviously worse offenders like the big banks and Walmart.)

Also, I do happen to think Ubisoft is playing with fire, being this stupid during the point where the new generation of consoles is not doing particularly well a year in. The PS4, which is the leader among current gen, still only has a user base of around 8 million at the moment worldwide (Xbone is 4.5 million). It's probably pretty safe to say that this was the game that was going to get many people to buy a new console (or if on PC a new video card or rig altogether). But now people who are outraged about this are going to find it easier justifying skipping out thanks to the innately higher price barrier (console + game).

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 4:41pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Relevant JimQuisition.

Jump to Post

06.17.2014 4:50pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

Excited for Smash Bros., Dragon Age and FF Type-0. But that's about it...

Jump to Post

06.18.2014 4:00pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Shit.  Watching a video about Zelda with clips from the upcoming game fucking sold me on the Wii U finally.

Now I just have to find a paycheck when the money to spare.

Jump to Post

06.21.2014 2:38am
 (Edited on 06.21.2014 at 2:56am)

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Shit.  Watching a video about Zelda with clips from the upcoming game fucking sold me on the Wii U finally.
The Wii U is fantastic, go for it.  If FFXV sucks OR comes out on PC I will probably not purchase any other console this gen.

Scribe said:
I'm going to give you some advice that you should apply in every aspect of your life: if you want something to change in the world- be that change. Soap box barking at others to create what you want.... is most likely going to prove fruitless and it's really really annoying as fuck.

Lastly, if you REALLY want to get serious about your preaching role for this particular matter: know that I'm more open minded than the gamer you want to convince and so far all I can say is you need to go back to the drawing board. Don't believe me, bring this debate into a GTA V online match and see how much you get through to the players of this generations highest selling game. That's the majority you're going to need support from, good luck.
Scribe, the fact that you are giving someone else advice on what they need to do, and that your advice is "be the change" is painfully ironic.  By your own advice you should not chew them out, you should be the reserved bystander you've endorsed.

Secondly: developers do listen.  Kind of.  They mostly listen to money, but they also listen to things they think will effect future money.   They also don't implicitly know things.  If they knew there would be this backlash to their game they probably would have prioritized having a female assassin, and they would have marketed it and made sure everyone knew what great people they all were (even though they have clearly established adding women to video games is slightly more expensive than the Apollo project and will pretty much ruin the life of every developer on earth - fuck you for even asking).

The outcry has conveyed the information that a reasonably large and loud contingent of gamers are starting to give a shit about sexism in games.  If they are smart they are going to start thinking about weeding out some of the mysogyny in their game design or else some other company will do it first and scoop up half of the human population as a demographic all to themselves.

Again, the only real way to get Ubisoft to rethink its design philosophy is to attack their bottom line and boycott the game until they give in. Even then, you might have to wait either for an extensive DLC option or an entirely new game because it's way too late in the development process to create a brand new female character with all the rigging, animations, (which are much more extensive than what would be needed for the last gen consoles.
I definitely agree it is too late to get this done for this game - it was a mistake that burned them, but they just need to swallow it now.  That said: the quantity of work isn't greater for this generation in the areas Ubi cited.  All of those had to do with tools that are (mostly) constant across different generations.  It's not like they all stopped using Maya, and they are all still programming on the same PCs and Macs as last time (maybe they have more RAM and SSDs now, but that makes work easier, not harder).  The new console generation changes things way more for the programmers in the trenches than the animators, which is why every developer who doesn't currently have stake in Ubisoft is calling them out. Ubi was stupid for citing fake technical reasons on why they excluded female characters, but it's totally true that it is too late now.  I know painfully well how hard it is to go back and deal with scope creep this late in the game.

I find it amazing how many people think there is some special magical barrier that was crossed with the new console generation - as if developers all had to throw it every tool they ever used and retrain 100% of their staff and people are held to some new, higher standard all of a sudden.  All of the improvement and cumulative and gradual, and has WAY more to do with the tools the devs are using, which are essentially unchanged.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 5 6 7 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter