Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

FFS, tell me about these PS2 RPGs

< Prev 1 2 Next >

02.16.2012 7:31pm
Thread Creator

Makeshift Gray
FFO's Blank Earth

Last week, I snagged a cheap lot of PS2 games from a game trading website I visit. It included a few RPGs, most of which I've never played. So now I'm trying to decide which are worth playing and which I should use for GameStop credit fodder. That's where you come in! I've already glanced at Metacritic scores, but I trust the opinions here.

Here's the list:

• Dragon Quest VIII
  • Radiata Stories
  • Shining Force Neo
  • Shining Tears
  • Steambot Chronicles

Any of these worth the 40+ hour investment?

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 7:38pm

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

I thought DQ8 was awesome for the few hours I played it.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 7:59pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I didn't like DQ8 but to be honest I only played the demo. Random encounters like that just aren't for me. If you can put up witih them I hear it's great in all other aspects.

Radiata stories is OK. The story starts with great promise but kind of falls flat. Gameplay is pretty fun though. I'd say its worth it.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 8:03pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

All those games suck.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 8:58pm

Ladile
Medic!

I enjoyed DQ8 very much, but if you don't like real old-school style RPGs, you may want to give it a pass.  Radiata Stories had some fun gameplay and at the time that I played it (college, so 5-7 years ago) I enjoyed the novelty of the story branching at a certain point.  If I remember right, the combat is similar to the Star Ocean series, if you've ever played any of those games.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 9:13pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

DQ8, of that list, is the only game I've played so it's the only good one there.

Though I can list quite a few more RPG's that are quite good, if you're interested.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 9:33pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I really enjoyed DQ VIII and thought Radiata was ok.  The graphics and characters can charm the pants off you in DQ VIII but it is OLD SCHOOL fighting.  If you don't mind grinding a bit my opinion is that the game is worth 40-50 (took me about 45 I think so think more) but I have a hard time completely recommending it to you.  Radiata... yeah.  It can be finished in 16 hours (my time) so that's a plus.  Spidey said it: story falls flat.  The battle system is like a much slower torn down version of Star Ocean and it's my least favorite battle system that Tri Ace has done, albeit I haven't played their most recent.

I can't say anything about the other three.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

02.16.2012 9:51pm
Thread Creator

Makeshift Gray
FFO's Blank Earth

Cool. I'll definitely play DQVIII then and probably Radiata too, since it's short.

I played 20 minutes or so of Shining Tears and the art style is beautiful, but everything I hear says the actual game part sucks.

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 12:07am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I'd say out of those, the Shining games are by far the worst. They just have none of the charm or the appeal of the old Shining Force games or even the GBA Shining Soul games.

Radiata Stories starts out OK, but it just felt very dull. Nothing overwhelmingly stupid like in other tri-Ace games of the PS2 generation. But it just ends up being very boring. At least it's fun to kick things. I also have no idea why the main character shares his name with a pastor for whom a breed of terrier is named after.

Steambot Chronicles has some interesting ideas, but the execution is really bad. It doesn't know if it wants to be an open world game or a typical linear JRPG and it sorta fails at being both. You can become a nazi, though. I think this could've been something special if they had a more focused idea of what they wanted.

I will say Dragon Quest VIII is a well made game and is probably the most well-regarded of these games. But it personally bored me to tears. I'm not a fan of this series in the slightest, though. Never have been and I doubt I ever will. If you liked previous DQ games, then give this one a shot.

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 12:49am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Dragon Quest VIII is the only one of those games I've played and is among my top five RPGs at present. It is a very old school game, like everyone's been saying, so it does catter a bit more to fans of that style of RPG. It's also a pretty long game if you do a lot of exploring and side quests, my save file for it clocked around a hundred hours by the time I got the normal ending. The soundtrack for the NA release used the orchestrated album's recordings for the in-game music and it really brings out the atmosphere of the settings. This game is what sold me on voice acting being a welcome addition to RPGs, the cast just came to life in a way I don't think I could have imagined by reading silent text boxes alone.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 1:28am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Dragon Quest VIII is probably one of my best RPGs on the PS2. I probably put in more than 100 hours in that sucker.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 2:26am

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

I'll chime in with the "I loved DQ8" crowd, but yeah, it's very hit or miss.  If you haven't played older DQs then it's very possible the nostalgia aspect will whiff and it'll be a miss for you.

Only other one I played was Shining Tears.  Despite having beautiful character art* (including one of the most gorgeous elf girls of all time), the gameplay was very, very meh.  And OH MY GOD THE LOADING TIMES WERE SO BAD. 

* - Side note, I later found out that the character designer for this game is actually a very popular hentai artist.  Yeah, really explained a lot.  :P

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 3:44am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I loved both DQVIII and Steambot Cronicals.

The other 3 sucked ass.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

02.17.2012 10:28pm

Darth Howie
Darthpool
Administrator

Gotta vote Dragon Quest VIII.  It's a bit slow-paced at first, but it sucks you in.  The world is huge, the combat is deceptively deep, the characters and storyline have a great amount of charm, and the visuals and sound still hold up great after all these years.  It's one of my favorite games of all time.  Play it.

Woe unto he who tries to be helpful, for upon him shall be lain the burdens of all.

- Squall 15:11

Jump to Post

02.20.2012 3:16pm

Catastrophe
I'm Catbug!

I'm going to vote down on DQVIII.

I was excited for it when it first came out, I enjoy playing it but then after a while, I just get tired of it. It's long and boring, and there's TOO much to do. As I've gotten older, I've become more of a completionist, but after a point, it's like "MAKE IT STOP". The graphics are great, the voice-acting is great, the music is gorgeous, but yeah, too many random battles, ridiculous amounts of traveling, and ohmygodwhyisitsolong. I've tried three times to play through it but eventually I just give up because I get tired of it all.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter