Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

FFS, what are you playing?!

< Prev 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 ... 224 Next >

03.20.2017 2:24pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I hate those rock breakers. If you somehow get them near a river they start diving into it and it feels impossible. 

Jump to Post

03.20.2017 3:24pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

There's a corrupted zone with two of them in it that's borderline impossible...

... unless, completely by accident, you manage to get their attention from the other side of a nearby river by shooting totally unrelated robots.  They both rolled up, stopped at the river, refused to cross it, and just threw rocks at me.  "Just throwing rocks at me" is significantly easier to deal with than that, plus also constantly jumping onto me or up from under me. 

I love fighting every single robot type except Stormbirds and Rockbreakers.  Fuck those guys.

MY BEAUTIFUL SON:

Jump to Post

03.20.2017 5:40pm

Amer
pew pew pew

I feel like that's where I must have encountered mine - took down a couple ice birds (glinthawks?) with some random nora NPC hunters and suddenly rockbreakers show up on the other side of the river - but not 2 of them, 3 of them. Then they just kept "burrowing" into the river so I had very little chance to actually hit them. 

Jump to Post

03.20.2017 6:21pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Amer said:

but not 2 of them, 3 of them. 

Jump to Post

03.20.2017 7:27pm

Colinp42
Registered Member

Haven't found a rockbreaker yet.  That or a trampler? I think?  Trampler I believe is what I need to get my last purple weapon.  I switched the difficulty down to easy.  Not because I was dying or anything, but just because things take too long to kill and I don't have that kind of time.

So finally I was going for a flower and saw there were 2 thunderjaws blocking the way.  Figured now was as good a time as any to try my first thunderjaw, so went for it and scraped through.  Then saw there was a settlement closeby the next thing I did so thought I'd head to it.  And on the way was attacked by my first Stormbird.  Next quest I start at the Hunters Lodge?  Beat a thunderjaw and stormbird.  COME ON!

Jump to Post

03.21.2017 2:17am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

I switched to easy in order to passthrough the uh, Rust Land, I think it's called because there were so many things trying to kill me, but I switched back later on.
The corrupted rockbreakers pummeled me with stones but once I was able to dispatch and/or bore the rest of the guys on my case, I found a little rock outcropping between the river and the arch like rocks where the corrupted field is and between the two groups of snapmaws, there's a bit of a lower shelf on those rocks and you can hide behind them when the rockbreakers throw rocks at you.
I read that if you take their legs off they can't burrow back down but I wasn't able to get them off no matter what I used, instead, I lobbed explosive bombs at them and that helped tremendously with chipping their health bar.

I'm close to the end now and with more questions than answers, a word of caution, once you decideto get going after the game's warning that this is a no return point, make sure you have plenty of time, because there's ton of story exposition and I mean tons, I had to quit smack in the middle of things in order to go to bed when I had planned finishing it last night.

Jump to Post

03.21.2017 2:55pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I think it's less "this is the end of the game" and more "after you do this quest a large portion of the map is going to change dramatically".  It definitely sets itself up like it's the last mission but it's really not.

The actual final quest comes around pretty obviously.  I mean it starts referring to itself as the "final battle" and pulls the ole' "check in with your buddies and then go get some rest before the final battle" trope.

Jump to Post

03.21.2017 6:56pm

The Hulk
Good Boy

Bought Witcher 3 on PSN because it was dirt cheap and people still rave about it to this day but if it sucks I legit might never buy a new game ever again.

Jump to Post

03.23.2017 12:25am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

^ I still rave about it, if the game with expansions and all wouldn't be so long, I would go at it for a third time in a row, alas, I must rest a bit from it, especially since right now I'm reading the just released translation of the last book in the series.
I sincerely hope you like it.

Reido nah, only if you did that final mission at suggested levels, I did everything there was to do before (well, except for that corrupted zone right by, er... the area that you are taken to by the main mission, one look at that, wih the robots it contans and no red grass or hills or nooks and crannies, just having to go in yelling and firing arrows or bombs (because what else are you going to do with everyone charging at you the minute they notice you and having nowhere to run?) and decided to leave it undone.
Anyway, so I did everything before and I was only left with a shimmery new amor and almost nowere to go. :(
But I did enjoy it greatly, the only criticism I have is that the game nudges you towards a stealth type of combat and then, on the few boss fights you get, you must do melee and pretty much nothing else.

Jump to Post

03.24.2017 1:21am

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

Anyone pick up Mass Effect: Andromeda? I did. I haven't been able to spend much time with it this week, but will dive in more this weekend. Some preliminary thoughts.

- The character creator is abysmal. Easily the worst character creator I've seen in a modern game
- The character graphics are ugly for a game from this console generation
- The environments I've seen look amazing
- Combat is fun
- The multiplayer is hard

This game deserves the 75 it sits at on metacritic, but I can't help but love it so far. It's Mass Effect, even if it is a bit janky. I have a feeling this is going to be like the Arkham Origins of the Mass Effect series. Middling critically, but moderately successful commercially with a cult following. 

Playing Andromeda is almost like being 15 years old and transfering to a new high school. The faces are all different, but you recognize similar cliques and personalities from your last school, but you can't quite figure out where you're going to fit in. 

Jump to Post

03.24.2017 2:18pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

I like it, a lot, but it feels like the Dragon Age 2 of Mass Effect (side note: I love DA2, warts and all).  It's trying to be something different than its predecessors, and it mostly succeeds, but it's held back by some pretty big flaws.

I actually like the character creator, in that I was able to immediately make a character who is 1) attractive and 2) doesn't have a weird duck mouth and 3) is clearly and realistically Asian.  I dislike that the lack of options means that if I see someone else's Ryder on the internet there's a prrrrretty good chance s/he'll look a LOT like mine, but that's not enough to turn me off of it.  I like that they added more varied hair colors (though I wish they could have added some more... subdued versions of them--you either get a natural hair color, or phosphorescent day-glo space hair; I'd kill for a nice dark blue).

Some of the animations are janky, but it hasn't been to the point of being distracting for me. Some of the human specifically faces look straight outta ME3, which is weird, considering that was an entire console generation ago.  But, again, not enough to really distract. All of the non-Asari aliens look fucking amazing (the Asari have a lot of the same issues the humans do, for obvious reasons).

Combat is fun, though it's taking me a while to get used to the non-sticky cover and the, uh, jump and dodge buffon.  I killed a guy with a sword yesterday, that was pretty satisfying.

That's all technical stuff, though, the real meat and bones of it is character and story.  I'm not deep enough into the story to really judge it, and as such I don't have the best feel for the characters yet either, but I feel like I'm going to like them a lot. I really enjoy the small, more intimate crew of the Tempest--after going deck by deck through the Normandy and constantly seeing unnamed (and some named!) randos hanging out on the ship, it's nice to have a crew that are people I know from top to bottom.

This same sense of intimacy can be found on the Nexus as well, on a larger scale.  It really feels like we're all in a real shitty situation together, and even the people I keep disagreeing with have a connection and shared interest.  It's like... Tann is obviously the new Udina (in that he's a probably-corrupt career bureaucrat), but for some reason, I really like Tann. We have a connection.

Also Ryder is a huge dork and I love her.

All in all, like I said, I really like it. It's not perfect, but it's Mass Effect.  That's all I really needed from it.

Jump to Post

03.24.2017 2:30pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

I've never played any Mass Effect. Does it use a silent protagonist?

Jump to Post

03.24.2017 2:41pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Nope, Shepard (and in Andromeda, Ryder) are fully voiced and fleshed out characters.  It uses a dialogue selection menu so you can decide how your version of the character would act.

Jump to Post

03.25.2017 11:56pm

Inquisitor
Jericholic V2.0

I restarted my game to make a better Ryder and ended up with a couple faces I like. I just made it to the Nexus and had to put things on hold as my wife is gone most of the day which means I am on baby duty. 

I still think the character models look dated, but it doesn't really hamper my enjoyment of the game. 

Honestly, the more I am seeing from this game, the more it feels like the reboot this series needed. After the original trilogy it's really difficult to go back to the Milky Way since there isn't a canonical ending to Mass Effect 3. I was pretty much in favor of setting the next Mass Effect (which ended up being Andromeda) a thousand years into the future so that you could basically reboot the series and make minimal reference to the original trilogy. 

This is basically doing the same thing, except keeping all the lore in tact and just moving to a new galaxy which gives you infinite possibility. Really look forward to when my daughter goes to bed tonight, and tomorow so I can spend a ton of time with this game. 

Jump to Post

04.03.2017 6:09pm

reido
(\/)(o,,,o)(\/)

Andromeda (Ryder Family Secrets) spoilers:
Spoiler: Move your mouse over the container to reveal.
Ryder: "My mom is alive."
SAM: "Yes."
Ryder: "I feel like I should be more excited about this but... I just found out that life in the Milky Way probably got snuffed out after we left."
Ryder: "I mean this is some serious fuckin' emotional whiplash, is what I'm saying."

Having finished everything except the "other tasks" quest list:
This game has some big 'ole issues and I don't care, I love it.  I want more.

Bring on Persona 5!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 ... 201 202 203 204 205 ... 224 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter