Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Lost Odyssey - Worth playing?

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.22.2013 2:17pm
Thread Creator

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

So I snagged a copy of this about a year back for $14.99, apparently it's about a 60 hour game. After playing the intro the game feels "okay", but I'm just wondering what impressions of it people had here.

I mean if the game is a gem (similar to "The Last Story" or "Xenoblade Chronicles") then I'd actually be really motivated to put the time into it and complete it, but I'm just not sure what to expect.

I did beat The Last Story, and absoultely loved it, I own a copy of Xenoblade Chronicles, but haven't started that either (in case that one comes more highly recommended).

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 3:34pm

Areas
Formerly Kenshin

I personally loved Lost Odyssey.  I consider that this generation's FF more so than FFXIII.  I recommend you play both (XBC being the other).  They're both worth playing through.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 5:07pm

Amer
pew pew pew

Lost Odyssey is a bit of a slow start but it gets going eventually. You don't have to grind (the game actually gives you huge XP bonuses if you are underleveled and random encounter battles drop to 1 xp if you are overleveled). 

The story picks up and some extra stories you pick up really give you the feels for Kaim. 

That said it is really long and can start to feel draggy. 

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 7:31pm

shooter_mcgavin
Registered Member

It has it's problems but it's the most solid old school JRPG the current gen has to offer just for that I loved the game.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 7:32pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

It's decent but I don't consider it mind blowing by any stretch. It brought me back to that old school feel a bit though which is nice. There's totally a place where you can level up a ton around disk 2 or so heheh. Jansen is pretty sweet, I found Kaim to be pretty boring for the most part.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 9:26pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I freakin LOVE Lost Oddyysey. I just played it last year and I played the game to full completion and didn't want to let go of it. It's got great characters, a solid storyline, amazing fun battles with a lot of depth, and a FANTASTIC soundtrack.

The dreams are also really special and something that will have you looking forward to keep playing to get to the next one.

You'll know how you feel about the game about 10 to 15 hours in.  It's a very classic, turn based old school RPG as others are saying, so it's not really anything like Last Story of Xenoblade , both which are more action based and have a lot of modern RPG elements. However, similar to Xenoblade, the world is pretty big and there are a lot of quests.

Jump to Post

10.22.2013 9:50pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

I also remember that the game is pretty unforgiving if you don't abuse it's magic system, because, at least early on, your mages are really powerful tools that should be used constantly.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 12:30am

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Yes. For all the reasons everyone is telling you, also: Jansen.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 1:27am

Seelas
I want to go back.

I would recommend it, but manage your expectations. For maybe the first hour or so, you will think this is going to be the gritty, mature, adult JRPG you've been waiting for. It is not, and before long it feels much more like an HD take on cartoony stories like Final Fantasy V. That''s fine; it's corny and I'm (pretty?) sure it knows it, but don't expect groundbreaking. It handles the "old-school JRPG gameplay" part rather nicely, though.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 4:41am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I really enjoyed the game, even if the main villain has more ham than the state of Virginia.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 5:00am

Scribe
The Taru

YEEEEEESSSSSS!!!!!!

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 6:00am

SuperSquall
Shortening His Posts

Yes, but I would recommend The Last Story even more highly if we are talking about Mistwalker RPGs.  But now that we've established that we both loved the Last Story: you'll find the stories have a very similar vibe.

Also: The Last Story was able to move me to stop playing the game and just listen to the music on numerous occasions.  But that's Nobuo for you.

Jump to Post

10.23.2013 4:52pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

Absolutely. It's worth a playthrough if for no other reason than the "A Thousand Years of Dreams". It's incredibly difficult not to tear up in a few of them.

Jump to Post

10.24.2013 10:05am

Tristan
Just Giv'r

Yeah, those friggin dreams get ya from time to time. Most of the time really.

Jump to Post

10.24.2013 10:25am
Thread Creator

Shadow
Comes and goes like the wind...

Well I must admit, I was pretty skeptical about Lost Odyssey, but now you guys have really sold me on it. I'll probably jump into it once I'm done with Beyond Two Souls (which I should finish sometime this weekend).

Thanks!

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter