Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Nintendo's future.

< Prev 1 2 Next >

01.17.2014 5:28pm
Thread Creator (Edited on 01.17.2014 at 5:37pm)

Zubis
Registered Member

Looks a bit grim at the moment.

https://www.computerandvideogames.com/445870/nintendo-thinking-about-a-new-business-structure/
https://www.computerandvideogames.com/445740/nintendo-to-post-annual-loss-on-weak-wii-u-and-3ds-sales/

https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-01-17-nintendo-slashes-wii-u-forecast-from-9m-to-2-8m

More or less admitting the Wii U's a bit of a flop and that smartphone/tablet's may be a way to go.

I mean it's Nintendo - they'll bounce back - but not a good start to 2014.

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 5:38pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

This isn't going to kill nintendo. They have more than enough money to last through this. What really matters though is what is their next step?

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 5:44pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

At what point do they throw in the towel on consoles and stick to dominating the handheld market? Isn't that where all their profits are anyway?

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 6:08pm

Id82
Fuck Shit Stack.

Nintendo made a shit load of money on the wii. Not just hand helds. Complain about inferior hardware and gimmicky waggle controllers all you want, they got consumers hook line and sinker. Their marketing for the Wii U was and is God awful. Like I said this failed console won't destroy them but they really need to rethink their marketing strategies and who they want to appeal to and how to sell consoles in the future.

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 8:20pm

CaButler
Winter Knight of the Unseelie Court

Nintendo tends to play the long game with many of this consoles.  The Wii U failing to meet expectations won't hurt them badly because they make lots of money.

As mentioned in the article, Iwata isn't looking to make a quick buck.  He's thinking long term survival of the company and that probably isn't going to change any time soon.

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 9:19pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

The Wii U is different because it's the first Nintendo console produced at a loss. While they've already made all their money they will from selling the consoles to stores, they're not making any profit off of it. And if no one's buying the consoles, no one's buying the games, which are the real money makers. The Wii fad fizzled out and Nintendo couldn't restart the momentum for the Wii U.

This is Nintendo's biggest flop since the Virtual Boy.

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 10:55pm

Tristan
Just Giv'r

The WiiU has been a mess from it's inception so this isn't too surprising. Too bad though because there's definitely some decent games for it.

Being a half a billion off your projections has to sting, ninty warchest or not.

Jump to Post

01.17.2014 10:58pm

Crisium
N/A

I think they should still retain a handheld line.  The only question is should all Nintendo games be on their next handheld, or next handheld and also PS4+Xbone?

Going mobile might kill the DS line, I wouldn't want that.

Jump to Post

01.18.2014 1:20pm

Coolsetzer
Formerly Furysetzer

They'll be fine. Remember that Sony sold the PS3 at a loss for a few years before it made them a profit. As far as a tablet idea, I don't think it's really possible for them now. They missed the boat, and now the market is flooded with them. Their best bet is to just wait it out and come out with something amazing once the Ps4 and Xbone buzz dies down. No gimmicks, no misguided branding. Just a solid, powerful machine that third party developers will want to make great games for.

Jump to Post

01.18.2014 2:13pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

Coolsetzer said:

They'll be fine. Remember that Sony sold the PS3 at a loss for a few years before it made them a profit. As far as a tablet idea, I don't think it's really possible for them now. They missed the boat, and now the market is flooded with them. Their best bet is to just wait it out and come out with something amazing once the Ps4 and Xbone buzz dies down. No gimmicks, no misguided branding. Just a solid, powerful machine that third party developers will want to make great games for.

Nintendo wont bounch back until they get rid of Iwata and most of the old members of the board. They are traditonal and traditional wont win the Console market, and its about to lose them the Handheld market too. 

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

01.18.2014 4:16pm

Ashilyn
Career GM

The thing is, nothing is going to happen to Nintendo. Yes, the WiiU is a flop, but lets remember how much money they have banked from the success of the Wii and the DS - somewhere, I read, in the area of $10 billion they literally could do anything with they wanted. The WiiU will hurt them, but do they need to bounce back? Is it ultimately going to do hurt them in a noticable way in the long run? Probably not.

They either need to ditch the WiiU and focus on the 3DS until the time comes for a new console, or they need to use that money to secure more meaningful exclusives and ports for the WiiU, if you ask me. While nothing horrible is happening to them any time soon, those two options would adaquetely help clot the wound, so to speak.

Jump to Post

01.18.2014 5:09pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

And for God's sakes, they need to learn how the fucking internet works in the meantime.

Jump to Post

01.18.2014 11:50pm

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

Clowd Cole said:

Nintendo wont bounch back until they get rid of Iwata and most of the old members of the board. They are traditonal and traditional wont win the Console market, and its about to lose them the Handheld market too. 

I want them to stay traditional, though. And by traditional I mean not chase whatever current trend is in the market today, going on bloated AAA projects and focusing on cinematics and movies instead of gameplay. This is why I really don't want Iwata to be booted out. I feel him and Miyamoto, while stubborn traditionalists, are what's keeping Nintendo separate from Western-focused Sony and Microsoft. I do not want a homogeneous video game industry.

If they can restructure their business startegies to adapt to the new market but still keep their traditional roots intact, that would be the best way to go about this.

===

"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"

Jump to Post

01.19.2014 12:50am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I don't think they are too concerned about their profits, they are more concorned nobody streams their games live because they might actually increase their image and sales.

Jump to Post

01.19.2014 1:54am
 (Edited on 01.19.2014 at 2:04am)

Crusader
Not Even My Dad Hit Me

I'm with Indy.  The thought of going krakatoa on Nintendo's upper echelon scares the shit out of me.  As the game that I feel I'd like most on the Wii U is a decade-old game I already own, I'm not gonna defend it.  At the same time, does anyone know of any other classic game franchises where the original team that started them are STILL working on them, all while said franchises are generally still respectable, relatively speaking?  Whatever problems Nintendo has with console R&D, there's something very special in all that and I will be very sad if it's lost.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter