Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Oh God, Zelda II -- I hate myself for loving you

< Prev 1 2 Next >

11.08.2011 10:01pm
Thread Creator

Man of the Sea
This space for rent

Hi FFS,

So in anticipation of Skyward Sword, I've decided to replay some of the old Zelda titles -- including playing through the two NES games for the first time, EVER! (hey, don't hate; Aonuma never played the original, either.)

I made it through Zelda 1 pretty easily, and had a hell of a time the whole way to Death Mountain.  Now, I'm playing Zelda II and...

Well, wait, let me back up for a sec.  This all started because, last year, in anticipation of playing Super Mario Galaxy 2, I decided to play some of the older Mario games, which included powering through the NES games on the VC.  Now, this may not sound like an impressive feat to some, but it damn well was for me.  Playing those games with the Wiimote held sideways was kind of a chore for someone with giant gorilla hands, but I made it through a better man.

So naturally, I figured I'd do the same for Zelda cuz, fuck it, that makes sense; so here I am, fresh out of the third palace (FUCK Blue Iron Knuckles), and oh god, this game is slamming my head into the wall...

...and it hurts so good.

Leveling up in MY Zelda?  Losing experience when I run out of lives?!  LIVES?!?  Goddamned bitch-ass Iron Knuckles?!

And yet... once I got the hang of it, I'm kinda starting to enjoy it.  I mean, I do still have 4 dungeons to go, so I could very well end up cursing this thing's existence later tonight, but it's pretty fun at the moment.  Playing a Zelda side scroller with lite RPG elements is actually pretty fun once you give it a chance.

What say you, FFS?  Did you enjoy this game, or do you consider it the bastard stepchild?

Jump to Post

11.08.2011 10:05pm
 (Edited on 11.08.2011 at 10:21pm)

Testament
Shamshot

It's an alright game for it's time, but I've never considered it a good "Zelda" entry.  I've never once had the urge to replay it in all these years.  The music is the best part.

Jump to Post

11.08.2011 10:29pm

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

I love it. While not as much as many of the other Zelda its still a great game.

Buggle Up! Danger! Danger! (Genocide!) Death the Crisis! Dangerous Zombie!

Jump to Post

11.08.2011 10:30pm

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

Some consider it black sheep, just because it's different. And it always gets a lack of respect just for being the follow-up to an epic, revolutionary game, but was merely "very good". In other words, it's Majora's Mask before Majora's Mask was Majora's Mask.

I replayed it a few months ago and enjoyed it. I'm glad you're getting a chance to catch up on the classics. If you have an appetite for more 8-bit Zelda before SS is out, do yourself a favor and pick up Link's Awakening or one of the Oracle games for Gameboy Color.

Jump to Post

11.08.2011 10:39pm

Crisium
N/A

Atma Weapon said:

Some consider it black sheep, just because it's different. And it always gets a lack of respect just for being the follow-up to an epic, revolutionary game, but was merely "very good". In other words, it's Majora's Mask before Majora's Mask was Majora's Mask.

You must have missed the more recent trend of people liking Majora's Mask more than OoT.  I am one of them.  We are still a minority, but most people consdier MM more than merely "very good".

Jump to Post

11.08.2011 11:58pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

Most underrated game in the series. One of my favorite Zelda games specifically because it's really different from the same, tired formula of the rest of the games. I like it a hell of a lot more than the original Zelda and most of the games that followed it except for LTTP, Link's Awakening, and I guess OoT (though my opinion of that game has gone down significantly since my most recent playthrough).

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 1:58am

Atma Weapon
I Am Pure Energy

It wasn't my intention to side-track the thread. To close the issue on MM, I really like it and I said in the previous post it doesn't get enough respect. A special hats off to the level design, which is some of the best in the series.

Back on topic: Man of the Sea, if you're downloading this many games on VC, I really recommend getting a a classic controller. It plugs into the Wiimote in place of the nun chuck, and costs around $20 or so.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 2:09am

Testament
Shamshot

Atma Weapon said:

Back on topic: Man of the Sea, if you're downloading this many games on VC, I really recommend getting a a classic controller.

This is solid advice. Assuming you didn't already get one after the Mario run.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 2:39am

Ashilyn
Career GM

I've always thought Zelda 2 was one of the better Zelda games. It has a steeper learning curve, for sure. But it's a nice change of pace from the LTTP rehashes we've gotten ever since that came out, and it's downright fun once you get the hang of it.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 2:50am

Testament
Shamshot

It would be interesting to know how many first played this game after only having played the first Zelda, or after playing later games in the series, as well.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 2:53am

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

My first ever Zelda game was LttP. Then OoT, Link's Awakening, the original, Wind Waker, and Zelda 2. On that note, I think the original Zelda has aged horribly.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 3:18am

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

I played both of the NES Zeldas before the Super Nintendo was even conceived yet. I still play them both around once a year on average. I love them both despite the dated graphics and gameplay limitations.

By the way, MotS, did you go through the second quest in the original Zelda too?

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 5:32am

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

I absolutely hated this game as a kid and I loved EVERY Zelda that came out up Majora's Mask.  I even replayed it about a year ago on emulator and I just couldn't get anywhere witout savestates.  I agree the concepts the game uses (leveling) are good but overall the game is just complete ass to me.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 5:35am

Fincher
Deep Water Horizon

I don't enjoy it these days, but then again, I don't enjoy the original Zelda these days.  When I first came across it back in the early 90's, I liked it.

Currently playing: Professor Layton and the Diabolical Box, Picross DS
Last played: Time Hollow (good)
Last watched: Agent Carter (very good)
Me on Favslist

Jump to Post

11.09.2011 7:14am

Clowd Cole
Dangerous Zombie

One of my roommates is playing both this and Zelda 1 for the first time and he says Zelda II is a better game to him.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter