Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

Oh, Sweet Nostalgia

< Prev 1 2 Next >

10.18.2011 11:16am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

"They just don't make 'em like they used to."  

Which, in a lot of cases, is a good thing.  But when you're talking about those rare gems like FF7, it's spot-on.  I may be enjoying the game even MORE now that I'm older and can appreciate the subtle things that make it special.  I'm almost ashamed to say this will only be my third playthrough, considering it's my favorite game of all time, but the time away from it has made the reunion that much more special in a way.

Jump to Post

10.18.2011 12:51pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

There's definitely some things developers of newer games could learn from some of the classics. Planescape: Torment's writing and Ultima VII's worldbuilding are still yet to be surpassed. (Granted, Fallout: New Vegas does come close in both categories.)

Jump to Post

10.19.2011 3:18am

JSG
Registered Member

Crono said:

So what do you like to dust off at least once a year-ish to remind you that feelings are real and games used to be better when you were a kid?

Sonic 3 & Knuckles never stops being awesome.  Neither does Super Mario World.  Neither does Link to the Past.  Neither does Final Fantasy V.  Neither does Final Fantasy VI.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 8:44am

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I can't disagree more that they "don't make them like they used to "   A game like all these games people are mentioning in this thread game out once every 2 years back in the day.  CT, FF6, FF4, Mario RPG...there's only maybe 7 or 8 games like this that we remember fondly in the entire 16 bit era. Surely there's 7 games you are this fond of on the entirity of PS3/Xbox360/Wii/DS/PSP.   Give it time and your favorites of today will be mentioned in threads like this with just as much love (=

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 3:55pm

JSG
Registered Member

That's true most of the time. I think the only genre that was really that much better back then was the JRPG. Still, some things, like the wordless storytelling in Sonic 3, for example, feel like a lost art.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 4:10pm

Luna
dangerous lady

Actually, I could've listed a LOT more, but I didn't want it to be an endless post. :D

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 4:12pm
 (Edited on 10.20.2011 at 8:51pm)

Testament
Shamshot

^Yeah, I could've listed so many more.

JSG said:

I think the only genre that was really that much better back then was the JRPG.

Definitely true.  Xenoblade Chronicles is a freakin' beast, however, and possesses that special quality.

Jump to Post

10.20.2011 5:05pm

Big Tall
Taller Than Tall

With all the games from this gen I want to catch up on and the new releases themselves, I honestly haven't had the time or drive to go back to games I used to enjoy and want to play again. My backlog is big enough as it is without adding PC classics and previous gen games into the mix.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter