Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

PC Gaming Isn't Dead

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

09.06.2011 3:02am
Thread Creator

Crisium
N/A

<a href="https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110829/13174315729/debate-time-ubisoft-says-drm-is-needed-valve-s"; target="_blank">https://www.techdirt.com/articles/20110829/13174315729/debate-time-ubisoft-says-drm-is-needed-valve-s<;/a>

<a href="https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36855/Valve_Portal_2_Sold_Better_On_PC_Than_Consoles.php"; target="_blank">https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/36855/Valve_Portal_2_Sold_Better_On_PC_Than_Consoles.php<;/a>

Valve. Such heroes.

You guys out there still buying PC games? I know a lot of people here played Portal 2, Deux EX HR. But how many on PC? Despite our apathy toward the series, since we were all brought here by Final Fantasy on the Playstation this is a console-oritented group of people. Who's representing the PC scene?

P.S. Gamers: what's in your rig? I haven't upgraded my system since 2008 but it's still doing fine, just fine. CPU and GPU (Video/Graphics Card) will work.

AMD Phenom X4 9750

Radeon 4850 512mb

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 3:47am

Amer
pew pew pew

I buy stuff on PC/Steam if none of my friends are getting it on console and if I think it will run.

I'm only running a laptop, but:

Core 2 Quad 9000 2.0 ghz

Geforce GTX 260M 1GB

6GB Ram

1TB HD (2x 500)

Playing Deus Ex HR on it now, also Wticher 2.

I'd get Battlefield 3 on the thing, but I'm not sure about using Origin. Plus I'm not sure I could run it properly on this rig, and if I can't I'd rather get it on console to play with friends instead of randoms.

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 3:50am
 (Edited on 09.06.2011 at 4:04am)

Som
Genitals are Funny

I have 88 games on my steam account, plus the games i didn't get on steam for my PC.

as for hardware;

intel core i7 -2600k @ 3.40GHz 3.70GHz (i have no idea what any of that means lol)

8gb or some sort of ram

AMD Raedon 6900 series (not too sure what card it is, long story and also it's my first ever non-Nvidia card)

Windows 7 64bit Home Premium

I mainly game on my PC. i do have a PS3 and i did have a Wii for certain games like Final Fantasy, PC to me is just more fun.

EDIT- also have a 2nd Steam account i forgot about, it just had a couple of gifted games and a few free/cheap games on it for my 2nd computer so we can play some stuff when people come over (TF2 mainly)

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 4:59am

Milky Ore
Kickin' it old school

Shooters/strategy I always buy on PC. Doesn't feel right without a mouse. =/

I'm not really sure how Valve can be considered the golden boys of DRM-less gaming, when you have to register every game on Steam and generally have limited options with playing offline. (Correct me if I'm wrong on that, though.)

Better than the other guys? Sure. By a ton? Debatable.

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 5:02am

Arckanghel
Pirate.

Oblivion with a good few patches, Diablo II and FFXIV are all that are on my machine right now just because I reformated it recently.

The macine itself is an ASUS-G51V

Core 2 Duo - 2.0Ghz P7350

4GB RAM

Geforce GTX 260M w/ 1GB

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 8:14am

scnix
scnix.com

I was playing SC2 until my PSU blew up from a lightning surge (I think it got my motherboard as well). So at the moment, I'm not gaming on the PC at all until I get myself a new laptop (don't plan to fix my desktop anytime soon).

Once I get my lappie, I'd probably get back to SC2 and try to finish Bioshock 1&amp;2. Maybe Mass Effect as well.and Dragon Age. Ugh, I feel left behind in gaming.

Jump to Post

09.06.2011 11:23pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

My laptop's a 2nd Gen Core i7 with 8 GB RAM and a GeForce GT 555M, so I have no problems buying the PC version of pretty much any game whose genre simply plays better on a PC (namely FPSs and WRPGs). I think Mass Effect 2 was the last game which was also released on the PC that I played on the 360, and that's mostly because I didn't have my current laptop yet.

Jump to Post

09.07.2011 1:34am

amaron
No answer, must be that deaf bitch.

My computer is a Frankenstein's monster of equipment

Core 2 Duo - 2.2 Ghz

3GB RAM

Geforce GTS 250 with 1GB RAM

Need to upgrade, don't want to spend the money.

Jump to Post

09.10.2011 7:56pm

Sigma
I think I do...

I like to think I'm primary a computer gamer, but I'm pretty spready out because I like RPGs so much and shooters so little. Still, I sticking with PC for Mass Effect, though I went 360 for Portal because of Co-op. I'll never play a console RTS because it feels so wrong.

I run a i5 ... 750, methinks? With a Radeon 4870 1gig. For a 500-600 dollar computer that's now a year and some months old, it's still a fantastic little hoofbeast.

Jump to Post

09.10.2011 9:05pm

Southern Comfort
silently judging all of you

I'm solely a PC gamer. I haven't owned a console in over ten years, other than the old Atari 2600 I keep for when the nephews come over. I do emulate, however.

Athlon X2 2.4gHz, 3gb, Radeon HD3870, Windows 7. Long overdue for an upgrade, but it still handles new games relatively well.

Jump to Post

09.10.2011 10:54pm

Elan
Amnesia Vertigo

I'm planning on building a new system in the fall, picking up components when I see them go on sale. I've already picked up memory, motherboard, and the optical drive.

i5 2500K (overclocked to 4.0, if I can)

8 GB RAM

128 GB SSD

1 TB HDD

nVidia GTX 560 ti (I'll SLI further down the line when I can afford another 560)

While there are a few games that I play on my two consoles, the majority of my gaming takes place on a computer. My new rig should handle Battlefield 3, Skyrim, Diablo 3, DOTA 2, and The Old Republic splendidly.

Jump to Post

09.11.2011 4:42am

Indiana Jerico
Sinfully Delicious v2
Administrator

<span style="color: #888888;">Most of the gaming I've done in the past half year has been on the PC. The last time I touched my PS2 was when I tried a re-playthrough of Xenosaga. I lost interest. Meanwhile, I've completed Dragon Age 2, The Witcher, dabbles every now and then with Bad Company 2, sims my team on MLB2K11 and is currently playing KotoR.</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">I'm still a console player. I've just become more of an equal opportunity person.</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">
</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">===</span>

<span style="color: #888888;">"Plans? What plans? I'm making this up as I go!"
</span>

Jump to Post

09.11.2011 8:03pm

Ninja
Registered Member

Haven't owned a console of my own since PS1. Nothing really makes me want to buy one. And well, I love my fps and cannot play them on a gamepad.

Jump to Post

09.12.2011 3:28pm

Murasame
HALE YEAH

<span style="font-size: 11px; color: #959595;"><a href="/forums/profile/38">amaron</a> said:</span>

My computer is a Frankenstein's monster of equipment

Core 2 Duo - 2.2 Ghz

3GB RAM

Geforce GTS 250 with 1GB RAM

Need to upgrade, don't want to spend the money.
This is more or less my exact setup. But I bought the rig secondhand more than a few years ago for something like $300, so for what it's done / doing for me, it's a gem.

Jump to Post

09.12.2011 9:24pm

Onyx
Butts
Administrator

I play mainly World of Warcraft these days, and some other stuff on Steam, Deusra, etc.. I think if I had a permanent connection to Xbox Live (or PSN or whathaveyou) I'd play consoles a lot more. But it's just easiera and more convenient to PC game these days. It's also way more economical. Buying a console game means $60 or waiting for a price drop from Gamestop or other store. As opposed to the crazy sales Steam likes to have every so often. Even then, piracy is a LOT easier for PC games than console (which I use mainly as demoing as that's something lacking in PC gaming these days and I like to get a general idea of how well something runs on my computer before buying) and while we're starting to see $60 games, most of them are $50 or less. Hell, there's a lot of legit free to play games, from simple flash games to MMO's.

Another plus is that I'm stuck on an SDTV with my consoles and have a 19" widescreen monitor with my PC.

Specs:

Intel Core 2 Quad Q8400 2.66 gHz

Geforce 9800 GT with 1 gig RAM

4 gigs RAM

Still need to get the cash to upgrade my video card to something better like a 9800 or a 250, but it runs what I need it to run at "good enough" performance.

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 3 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter