Final Fantasy Online

Home Articles Games Forums Shop
You are not logged in. Log In or Sign Up.
Browse Online Now Directory New Posts Achievements Help/FAQ
Search

Final Fantasy Online Forums  >  Video Gaming Discussion  >  Gaming Discussion

PSP

< Prev 1 2 Next >

11.29.2011 5:10pm
Thread Creator

Zo
another blue ribbon

Thinking about getting a PSP either for or around Christmas. What are the must-haves for this system? (Bearing in mind what forum we're on - big FF fan). 

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 5:31pm
 (Edited on 11.29.2011 at 5:48pm)

Testament
Shamshot

Crisis Core, of course.  If you are a fan of FFT, you can pick up WotL, as well.  Both should be $9.99 at most places, definitely on Amazon.  =)

Dissidia is a blast.  Pretty much any Square Enix PSP release is good.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 5:53pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

The Star Ocean remakes are awesome.  Grab Ys III or VII for some great hack and slash.  Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky is a long RPG but the dialogue and ending are very worth it.  Metal Gear: Peace Walker is awesome.  FF IV: Complete is the prettiest version of the original.  Half Minute Hero is my favorite pick up and play game.

Currently Playing: Dark Cloud 2: 3 hours.
Also Playing: CT, FF VI, Solatorobo, Secret of Mana, Halo 4.
Just Finished: Fable II: 7 hours.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 6:05pm

Nelfichu
I've been there, hombre.

FFT for sure. Crisis Core is surprisingly good, though the story is a little bonkers sometimes. I'm probably in the minority, but I wouldn't recommend Dissidia.

I've heard good things about the GTAs and the God of War games that were released for the PSP, but I haven't tried them myself.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 6:28pm

Veers
Flying High

I would recommend Valkyria Chronicles 2, but you might want to read a few reviews of some of its gameplay differences if you played the first (some changes for the worse, some for the better). VC2 has probably the worst story/writing I've ever seen in any video game ever, but you can just skip through the majority of it and enjoy the missions. It's not as challenging as the first one, though (units are much more resilient in VC2, and you have access to quality snipers from the start, instead of later in the game like in VC1).

Tactics Ogre is fun if you like SRPGs. The writing has a lot of problems, but the gameplay is solid, though very similar to FFT in many ways. I've had fun continuing to play it even after finishing it; a battle here and there is still fun even if you don't care to grind for all the end-game gear and accomplishments/titles.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 8:03pm

Testament
Shamshot

^^The GoW games are pretty good.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 8:41pm

Spidey
So Sigh Ety

I just started playing PSP games about 6 months ago so I was on the same boat. I recommend Ys Oath of F. and Ys Seven, Crisis Core, FFT remake, and both Star Ocean Remakes. I'm not a fan of Dissidia.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 8:45pm

Luna
dangerous lady

I would recommend Dissidia, both Star Ocean remakes (especially First Departure), Crisis Core, and the Lunar remake.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 9:37pm

Rhaegar
World Warrior 21007

I'd also recommend FFIV: The Complete Collection. It's what I now consider the definitive version of FFIV (and also comes with The After Years).

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 10:43pm
Thread Creator

Zo
another blue ribbon

Thanks guys, I'm thinking Dissidia, Crisis Core and Tactics to start me off, but also stuff like Loco Roco and some of the Syphon Filter games. There's so much good stuff and it's all so cheap now! Consoles should go in cycles like this more often.

Next question (though keep the game suggestions coming): Which model to get? The 2000 ranges from about £75-100 in very good condition as a second hand item, the 3000 from £120-150 in the same condition, but the budget E1000 (mono speakers, no wireless) is £78 new. Which would be best and am I handicapping myself by not getting a model with wireless?

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 11:03pm

Mavilu
Yep, still gaming

Don't forget the Patapon games and the Persona games, if you are into them.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 11:36pm

Crono
Crono can cross dimensions too!

2000 all the way.  3000 has that weird graphical problem.

Jump to Post

11.29.2011 11:56pm

FenixDown
The King's orders are absolute

Apparently the best versions of FFI and FFII are on the PSP if you're looking to go old school. Valkyrie Profile Lenneth is supposed to be good for those, like myself, who missed out on the PSone release, though I haven't gotten around to playing it yet since Dissidia and Dissidia duodecim took up near permanent residence in my PSP. Apparently Kingdom Hearts Birth by Sleep is fun to play but I've yet to get around to playing that one as well. Persona 3 Portable is recommended, while it sacrificed some aspects of the previous versions to fit in a UMD, it took a page from Persona 4 and improved combat by letting you control your party members.

Let's Play Chrono Trigger
Let's Play The Legend of Zelda A Link to the Past
Let's Play Final Fantasy VI

Jump to Post

11.30.2011 7:59am

Lews
Lord of the Morning

i went from a 1000 to a 2000 recently and it was worlds different.  WAY more slim and light.  i don't see any major strengths the 3000 has over the 2000, and i wouldn't touch the newest one at all.

that said, i'm selling my 2000 and getting a pspgo, since i just use it to watch anime on the go instead of playing games anymore, and the go has 16 gigs of built-in memory.  plus all the games i'd wanna play for it can be obtained by other means.  i HATE umds.

EDIT: here's the link to my ebay auction.  and while we're on the subject, jeanne d'arc is the 2nd best strategy rpg i've played, after final fantasy tactics, and the best in terms of gameplay.  i'd highly recommend it if you want a good srpg.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/280778360993?ssPageName=STRK:MESELX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1555.l2649#ht_500wt_949

Jump to Post

01.01.2012 6:11pm

Ramses
Registered Member

Not an RPG, but I got to say Power Stone Collection.  I want a 3rd game so bad.

2011 FFO Fantasy Football Champion

Jump to Post

< Prev 1 2 Next >

Jump to

Go

© Copyright 2024 Final Fantasy Online, All Rights Reserved
Home  |  Articles  |  Games  |  Forums  |  Shop  |  Contact Us  |  Terms of Use  |  Privacy Policy
Become a Facebook FanFollow us on Twitter